Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cool PC card recommendations?

Cool PC card recommendations?
BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 07:09 PM

OK, I've got a 540c, 3400c, PB G3/333 and a Pismo 500, all of which have PC card slots.

1. Asides from ethernet, USB and Firewire, can anyone recommend some cool PC cards that provide other functions?

2. Is there a PC card which lets you slide a CompactFlash card into it? ( I know the IBM MicroDrive comes w/ its own adaptor)

Davidarm
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2001, 09:21 PM

1. 56k modem cards for the 540c and the 3400, SCSI card for the Pismo

2. I own a SanDisk PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter and it works great - I'm sure other manufacturers make them too...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2001, 09:58 PM

Geeky option- network adapter.

If you already have built-in ethernet, and add a second ethernet adapter, you can make the laptop into a router. Not sure why you'd need to, but it could be fun;

EDIT: oh duh! you said BESIDES ethernet, USB, and firewire! My mistake!

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 10:09 PM

I use a 5GB PC Card hard drive to transfer files between my 3 laptops, use a WLAN card in two of them, and a PCMCIA CF and Memory Stick adapter to transfer digital photos to the computer quickly. Those are the ones I found "cool" and have since become indispensible to my computer usage.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Cellery ]

BigMark  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 11:39 PM

A 5GB PC card? What kind of speeds ( MB/s )do you get with those? I haven't really heard much about PC card storage devices, and had no idea there was that kind of size available.

Memory Stick adaptors I had heard of (and used a while back) but I'm no fan of the Memory Stick. I remember the adaptor being quite costly as well (approx US$100)

I guess with a 5GB PC card available there probably aren't many people using a 1GB MicroDrive in its place.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2002, 05:15 AM

I know you said besides USB, but many people forget that adding a USB card to a USB equipped PowerBook provides additional ports without requiring the use of a hub. Quite nice, IMO.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

BigMark  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2002, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by tonton:
<STRONG>I know you said besides USB, but many people forget that adding a USB card to a USB equipped PowerBook provides additional ports without requiring the use of a hub. Quite nice, IMO.</STRONG>
Well, yes, I suppose that could be handy in certain situations, but I think most people would prefer to take the extra load off the CPU and just get a USB hub (which can be powered from the USB port).

I just thought of something- why doesn't someone make a security-oriented PC card i.e. you must have the PC card installed to either run the PowerBook or access certain files? This could be done at the moment I guess (a PC storage card that contains your keychains), but biometric measures could also be included- pull-out thumb scanner......

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2002, 06:13 AM

Now that Ricochet wireless Internet is ruled out (they went bankrupt), I don't know if there are any cool PC cards out there anymore.

Unless you need SCSI or extra cooling, I don't know what to tell you.

I recall there is a PC card fan. Search the Internet, and you will likely find what I'm talking about.

<scarab>
Jan 1, 2002, 06:18 AM

There is such a security card! Check out www.crypto.ch for details. I think it works only with PCs though.

BigMark  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2002, 06:53 AM

I remember seeing those PC fan cards a while back. Quite clever, as long as your PC card enclosure isn't *enclosed* though.

Thanks for the above link, however I think the companys target market is more along the lines of govt. & security related agencies as well as certain banking concerns I imagine. Needless to say, I doubt the Mac OS is supported

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2002, 07:08 PM

Two ideas:

1. Wireless networking cards.
Dunno if they count as "aethernet", but 802.11 cards are great. Make an ad-hoc network between your or anyone else's computers wherever you happen to be. Surf the web at Starbucks or airports, or just around your house. Definitely cool.

2. PC-Card hard drive.
Somebody already mentioned the Toshiba 5GB hard drive that fits in a PC Card (that's the HD for the ipod, by the way). Very cool.

Another option is an external case that will hold a standard 2.5" laptop drive. That's up to 48GB in a little bus-powered unit you can plug in to any of your laptops, to backup or share data. MCE makes the Datashuttle and Apricorn makes the EZ-Gig; there's probably others.

Forum Links
Forum Rules