Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying a Cube- video card options

Buying a Cube- video card options
BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 08:19 PM

I'm inclined to buy a Cube soon, simply because I really like the idea of being able to hide it away in a small space (yes, I know about the ventilation issues) and just have the monitor on the desk. Also, with an "incredible line-up of Macs in the next 12 months" I will hopefully be able to take advantage of users wanting to upgrade, who are willing to sell their Cubes.

What's the best video card that can be bought for it, and will the Cube be compatible (physical limitations included) with video cards released in the future?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2001, 11:09 PM

it all depends on the monitor that you have and ADC monitor you are screwed none absolutly none, unless you want to scower ebay for a radeon with ADC. (which I do every day), other then that there are also AGP radeons with DVI and VGA and S video whitch will work fine. go for a radeon if you can, not sure on an Nvida based ADC card there should be one because I would buy it.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 11:24 PM

G4ME,

I have absolutely no idea what your post meant. Is English your first language? I'm not meaning to be too insulting, but I honestly just don't know what you were trying to say.
It's the devil's way now.

superlarry
Senior User
Dec 6, 2001, 11:50 PM

um.. my cube came with an ATI Rage 128 Pro with VGA-out and an ADC. i upgraded to an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX from someone's PowerMac tower, and it ROCKS and there are no overheating issues. this also has VGA-out and an ADC. this is the card i recommend.
the radeon would give better performance, but it's hotter and, as far as i understand, you pretty much have to buy the special cube edition with the fan built onboard so that it won't overheat itself or your cube. these are rare to find, and therefore more expensive, and the sound of the fan will make your cube louder, too (if that's an issue).
hope this is an, ahem, clear explanation.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: superlarry ]

Kestral
Senior User
Dec 7, 2001, 12:16 AM

Why not wait until after MWSF? After all, if a new LCD iMac comes out, then you could get a Cube for a lot less (or perhaps you may even like the new iMac, which is rumored to start at $999). At this point imo it makes sense to wait.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2001, 12:53 AM

Hey if anyone wants to an Apple radeon for the cube e-mail me and I can mostlikely hook you up.

j3kyll
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2001, 01:34 AM

I bought a Cube late last year.

I'm now stuck with my ATI Rage.

I am most disappointed as I worked jolly hard to afford this machine (student) working casually for more than a year.

I spend a lot of time doing 3D gaming and the ATI Rage isn't coping with the latest games.

I have tried several Radeons in it (both PowerMac and Cube versions) and have spent a lot of time and frustration in the process. Overheating....

I am desperate to get hold of a GeForce2 for the Cube, Apple here in Australia is most unhelpful and they won't do anything to help.

I will most likely be forced to spend $500 US by:

Selling my Cube
Buying a second hand Powermac 466 (16MHz greater) - at a loss of $500 US

I've even tried buying PC Graphics cards but the ones I tried were too big or the VGA port wouldn't line up...

Is there any hope for me keeping my Cube?

... anyone interested in a Cube? Or someone with access to a spare GF2...
A computer without Windows is like a cake without mustard.

you_are_right
Dec 7, 2001, 07:55 AM

I am here in Germany and the retailer I am buying usually my stuff is offering an APPLE (not the ATI one) Radeon card with ADC. On the web page it says, that it can also be used in the cube.

After all they don�t know when it can ship.

Don�t know if any body got some news on that.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>it all depends on the monitor that you have and ADC monitor you are screwed none absolutly none, unless you want to scower ebay for a radeon with ADC. </STRONG>
?
FYI all of Apple's graphics cards have VGA ports - including the ADC graphics cards. So if you have an older multisync monitor and don't feel like buying an expensive new LCD display, you can use the VGA port....joe

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by j3kyll:
I am desperate to get hold of a GeForce2 for the Cube, Apple here in Australia is most unhelpful and they won't do anything to help.

Check out the threads over at wwwxlr8yourmac.com. I remember reading about one person that installed a PC GF2 in his Cube. He posted benchmarks on their site in the games/graphics card database - very impressive results. It's faster than my Radeon at lower resolutions.

I will most likely be forced to spend $500 US by:

Selling my Cube
Buying a second hand Powermac 466 (16MHz greater) - at a loss of $500 US

I understand and agree with your point about loosing money. I own a Cube and prefer it to a G4 tower. But quite frankly, it should have been priced cheaper than a tower all along because it lacks PCI, expansion bays, audio in/out (Cube uses USB), etc. Unfortunately, Apple priced the Cubes too damned high. So the customers voted with their wallets and thus ended one of the best computer designs to come around in years

Is there any hope for me keeping my Cube?

... anyone interested in a Cube? Or someone with access to a spare GF2...

Another alternative (besides xlr8yourmac site above) is to just monitor eBay. I saw an Apple OEM GF2MX card on eBay about 3 weeks ago. As more and more Mac owners upgrade to GF3, chances are that there will be more GF2s available. You might have to swap the end bracket if it comes from a G4 tower. But that's easy enough. Regards......joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules