Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > format Time Capsule?

format Time Capsule?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 22, 2008, 08:06 PM

Time Machine has been unable to backup for over 30 days. Going into Time Machine prefs and choosing a drive shows no drives at all. If I select setup Time Capsule it will open Airport Utility, which doesn't help.

I can still see the time capsule in the Shared section of the Finder, but I am not sure what to use that for as I don't store anything but Time Machine files on it....

Also, after attempting to fix it today I now have the following 2 errors: One window basically says 'Disk Cannot be Repaired' (looks like a general error) and the other says 'Time Machine Error: The backup volume is read only.'

Whats the easiest way to fix this, formatting the time capsule? How do I do that?
( Last edited by MOTHERWELL; Nov 22, 2008 at 09:02 PM. )

ibook_steve
Nov 23, 2008, 06:47 PM

You do everything through Airport Utility. From Airport Utility help:

To erase the internal AirPort disk in a Time Capsule:

Open Airport Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Mac, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a Windows computer.

Select the Time Capsule that contains the internal AirPort disk you want to erase, and then click Manual Setup.

Click Disks in the toolbar, select the internal AirPort disk, and then click Erase.

Choose a security level from the Secure Erase pop-up menu.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules