Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming on Rev. B Ti 667 Powerbook?

Gaming on Rev. B Ti 667 Powerbook?
n_lim
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2002, 11:24 AM

Hello Gamers!

I have had my Rev. B Ti 667 for a while now (the old one with the 16MB Radeon) and have not done much gaming other than the Sims and EV:N. Anyhow, I really want to buy MOH:AA but am worried about the performance. Does anyone know how it will run on a Rev. B? Do I have to sacrifice many options, etc? I have heard good reports about MOH:AA on the new 800 PB, but that is a whole different beast. I won't buy the game if I have to severely neuter it to play, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, Does anyone know what the requirements of Soldier of Fortune 2 will be? It is also based on Quake III engine I believe.

I am just worried that my window of playing new games on my powerbook is soon coming to a close!

Thanks very much!

(Edit: spelling)

<small>[ 06-15-2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: n_lim ]</small>
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

HamSandwich
Jun 15, 2002, 11:42 AM

In general, I can remember running Elite Force and Quake 3 on Rage 128 card in our old G4 350. both ran good at 800x600. Giants, e.g., was somewhat problematic with the highest details, but it still looked good and ran well if you decreased them.

MOH:AA has fewer requirements than RTCW. You can get an online demo of RTCW and see what the performance is like. SoF II will probably be more or as complex as RTCW.

I tried Q3 on a 667 Rev. C and it flied, really really neat and well better than my FP iMac.

Steve

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jun 19, 2002, 04:06 AM

You'll need to lower everything in Moh:AA to run it decently.

mcaswell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2002, 01:12 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by n_lim:
I have had my Rev. B Ti 667 for a while now (the old one with the 16MB Radeon) and have not done much gaming other than the Sims and EV:N. Anyhow, I really want to buy MOH:AA but am worried about the performance. Does anyone know how it will run on a Rev. B?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I have not yet installed MOHAA on my Powerbook (same model as yours), but I have been playing RTCW for a few weeks. I read somewhere that MOHAA's requirements were about the same as RTCW's.

I usually run it in 640x480, with graphics options turned down a bit. It still looks pretty decent, and performance is acceptable. I have noted a few issues though... on the "Tram" map, which has lots of open spaces, mountainous terrain, and heavy fog, it gets very sluggish when I'm outside.

Also, when I'm playing for a long time, eventually the whole game slows down. Quitting and starting up again doesn't seem to fix the problem, but if I wait a while before trying again, it's fine. This, combined with the 3rd degree burns on my legs, makes me think that perhaps this is a heat issue... does the Powerbook G4 "throttle back" the processor and/or graphics cards if the temperature gets dangerously high?

Anyway, I've only had MOHAA for a few days, and it's only installed on my desktop machine right now. I'll try to load it on the Powerbook soon and report back.

--Mike

n_lim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2002, 07:08 PM

Thanks all for the replies!

Looks like I am not going to be able to truly enojy the game on my current set-up, eh? Mike, please let me know how MOH plays on your Ti. As for the heat issue, it seems that the Rev. B is the most plagued of powerbooks in this respect. It got so bad for me that I invested in a laptop cooler. Not the Podium coolpad and its ridiculous price, but a thin platform which has 3 fans running inside which actually has lowered the temperature considerably. In fact, the power button in the upper right corner which is usually burning hot is now nicely warm instead. Might want to check it out.

Getting back on track, it looks like I may be relegated to games like EV:N and things like that or go the console route. I am quite dismayed, but I guess that is the price of having a laptop. I wanted an experience similar to CS on a PC as I recently got hooked and was very envious of the experience. Will Quake3 with the Urban Terror mod suffice this craving AND be workable on my Ti?

Thanks again!

<small>[ 06-19-2002, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: n_lim ]</small>
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

ksuther
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2002, 10:12 AM

Quake III is very playable on a TiBook, as is UT. TacOps for UT runs fairly well for me, and I'm sure Urban Terror would run acceptably also.

n_lim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2002, 09:23 PM

ksuther, thanks for the reply. I definitely think that I will go the urban terror route or tac-ops. Any suggestions of where to get a cheap copy of Quake Tournament (other than hotline)?

OT: You are in Syracuse? I am moving up there in August for grad school (architecture). Any suggestions of where to live? I have heard Radisson is nice.

Thanks!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules