Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > rtcw sound problems

rtcw sound problems
brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2002, 11:37 AM

I have a Gigabit DP 450 G4 with 1.1GB of RAM. I recently updated my video card from a Geforce 2 to a Radeon 8500; my OS from Mac OS X 10.1.2 to 10.1.5; and rtcw from 1.0 to 1.32. The move was done all at once pretty much. Everything seems to work well except rtcw.

Since the move I've been experiencing sound problems in rtcw. When I spawn is all good but about 10-15 secs. later I lose all/most of the sounds. When I respawn again the cycle begins again.

Any ideas? Depending on what you guys say, or don't say, I'll contact Aspyr about it.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2002, 03:33 PM

I've had the sound problem once or twice on my DP800 with 1.2 GB RAM and a Geforce 3. I use RTCW without the current update and MacOS X 10.1.4... I haven't had a chance to update. The sound problem seems to happen usually after I've been playing for awhile... over an hour. I think I usually just restart the game and it's fine, but it would be nice if the bug was fixed.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mcaswell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2002, 10:29 PM

Same problem here. Powerbook Rev. B 667, lots of RAM. As the previous post mentioned, it usually seems to happen after I've been playing for a while, and if I quit and restart RTCW, all is well. But this evening, the problem happened repeatedly, and restarting the game didn't help.

This particular server had a lot of people (28, I think), so I'm wondering if it's something related to having too many sounds going on at the same time.

BTW, when this happens to me I can't help but to think about Capt. Miller's "state of shock" episodes in Saving Private Ryan.

--Mike

mcaswell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2002, 11:00 AM

UPDATE:

I found a newsgroup post in which several people describe this same problem, and it is mentioned that it seems to be linked to the number of players participating in the game.

And last night, I did indeed notice that it happened much more frequently if I joined a game with large numbers of players (30 or 40).

This post also listed a quicker way to revive sound than restarting RTCW... open the game's terminal and type this command:

/s_stop

This does indeed bring the sound back to normal, but if you're in a game with lots of people, it's not long before you go deaf again. Hmmm... maybe it's a feature, not a bug? ;-)

Seriously though... I wonder if there is a fix lurking in the .cfg file. I remember UT's config file had a setting for how many "sound channels" to use. Perhaps there's something similar in RTCW.

--Mike

brown monk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2002, 12:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mcaswell:
<strong>UPDATE:

I found a newsgroup post in which several people describe this same problem, and it is mentioned that it seems to be linked to the number of players participating in the game.

And last night, I did indeed notice that it happened much more frequently if I joined a game with large numbers of players (30 or 40).

This post also listed a quicker way to revive sound than restarting RTCW... open the game's terminal and type this command:

/s_stop

This does indeed bring the sound back to normal, but if you're in a game with lots of people, it's not long before you go deaf again. Hmmm... maybe it's a feature, not a bug? ;-)

Seriously though... I wonder if there is a fix lurking in the .cfg file. I remember UT's config file had a setting for how many "sound channels" to use. Perhaps there's something similar in RTCW.

--Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">A feature? hehe.

Well, I have not tried /s_stop yet but I do know that /s_restart does not work.

I should try playing with less people as well. Not having sound is pure beans, but then again playing with 30+ people is pretty fly.
brown is sweeter

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2002, 07:57 AM

Very strange problem.

Definitely send aspyr something on it. Could be a driver issue affected by the new release, esp as you didnt have the problem before.

Im running 1.32 on my new imac which has a g4 700 cpu, gforce 2mx video, 384mb ram and apple pro speakers and it runs really well without a glitch.

So its definitely not an across the board problem.

Heres something weird I read. Someone in the apple forums mentioned that he was having difficulty with rtcw when running 1gb of ram or more. Im sure I read somewhere that there is a 1gb+ ram issue; im not sure if this it it but a search through there could be worthwhile (the apple support forums).

Id do it for you, but theres so much to do, so little time
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Jiggers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2002, 12:04 PM

FAQ #9 at Aspire Support for RTCW

<a href="http://www.aspyr.com/support/faq.php?prod=rtcw" target="_blank">http://www.aspyr.com/support/faq.php?prod=rtcw</a>

Hope that helps

brown monk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2002, 06:55 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jiggers:
<strong>
Hope that helps</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It did, thanks .

I hope it gets fixed in later builds.
brown is sweeter

Forum Links
Forum Rules