Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cinqueterra? Anyone been there?

Cinqueterra? Anyone been there?
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 03:51 PM

I'm thinking of ending my Europe adventure in this area...but don't know anything about it. My girlfriend will fly out and meet me there for a week before we both fly home.

Any info on the place....can I get by on a tight budget? Kick it on the beach? What are the evenings like? I'm envisioning sipping cocktails at some cafe overlooking the Mediteranean...mellow but fun.

-Thanks
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 03:58 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Moderator:
<strong>I'm thinking of ending my Europe adventure in this area...but don't know anything about it. My girlfriend will fly out and meet me there for a week before we both fly home.

Any info on the place....can I get by on a tight budget? Kick it on the beach? What are the evenings like? I'm envisioning sipping cocktails at some cafe overlooking the Mediteranean...mellow but fun.

-Thanks</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It's a great area; I spent a couple of summers at the coast in cinqueterra, lot of tourists ( most of them italian)...great fun.

And your vision is not far from the truth, some of the terrases are on the beach. Next to the beach runs the train, make sure your spot is close to a tunnel under the railway.

<small>[ 07-16-2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: l'ignorante ]</small>

M�lum
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 05:10 PM

If you like walking in stunning natural surroundings, then the CinqueTerre is a very nice place to go to. The national park is very nice, the little villages are touristy, but a nice kind of tourists (not the busloads of German or Polish pensioners)
get some more info here: <a href="http://www.cinqueterre.it/index_e.htm" target="_blank">http://www.cinqueterre.it/index_e.htm</a>

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2002, 06:39 PM

It's a beautiful place but it's very small for the masses of tourists that want to go there and it is

! e x p e n s i v e !
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Moderator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 07:15 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Developer:
<strong>It's a beautiful place but it's very small for the masses of tourists that want to go there and it is

! e x p e n s i v e !</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Any other recommendations? I really just want a place (on the NW Coast) to relax, enjoy the beauty of the area, get a feel for the culture, and have a little fun at night....but I'd prefer to sleep in a hostel or an inexpensive hotel.

One more thing...if I show up there without any reservation...am I screwed?
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2002, 10:43 PM

I love the Cinqueterra. I always recommend it to friends going to Italy. It's popular but not as well known as the primary tourists areas of italy (rome, venice, florence, etc)

It's what you see when they show pictures of those hill towns on the coast of italy. Five towns connected by trains. You can also hike between a couple of them.

I've never stayed the night. I usually stay in Santa Margherita or Portofino and do the day-trip train in.

Santa Margherita or Portofino are worth seeing as well. Might be easier to get a room too. You'll love it, guaranteed.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 11:52 PM

San Remo is an awesome little city on the Cinque Terre. It is expensive but well worth it. If you're looking for something touristy to do, I suggest getting on a boat that makes stops on all the little villages along the coast. There are so many interesting little hamlets there, you've thought of a great way to end your trip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules