Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Using Sony DV camera as webcam

Using Sony DV camera as webcam
BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2001, 10:57 PM

Is there any way to use a Sony DV camera as a webcam? I can't see anyway around the camera automatically going to sleep after several minutes (as there is no zooming in/out going on)

Is there any webcam software that can actually control these DV cameras? I have tried out CoolCam, Oculus and SiteCam but all any of them can do is take a snapshot of the video, but not do any actions that keep the DV camera awake.

I also have a Kodak DC 290 digital camera (USB) which I've been trying to use for the same effect, but also with no luck. All webcam software programs seems to want a DV connection.

garyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 05:43 PM

Try the same thing without having a tape in the camera.
The camera will go to sleep to prevent the tape from getting damaged or damaging the tape heads.
If I remember correctly, my camera (Canon ZR-10) will NOT go to sleep if there is no tape in it. I played around with Occulus a bit and it seemed to work fine. I haven't done anything with it in many months.

Gary

Forum Links
Forum Rules