Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Targus USB mini keypad

Targus USB mini keypad
Nagittar
May 13, 2004, 01:30 AM

Even though the packaging doesn't mention this device to be Mac compatible, does anyone know whether it will work?

Cheers

http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...sp?sku=PAUK10U

edit: spelling
( Last edited by Nagittar; May 13, 2004 at 01:38 AM. )

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Nagittar:
Even though the packaging doesn't mention this device to be Mac compatible, does anyone know whether it will work?
My hunch is that it will work with a Mac as well. If you have to enter a lot of numbers, nothing beats a true numeric keypad. At $20, I think it's worth a try. IMO, the risk that it won't work is relatively low. (The only exception might be the non-standard "000" key.)

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Nagittar  (op)
May 13, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by escher:
My hunch is that it will work with a Mac as well. If you have to enter a lot of numbers, nothing beats a true numeric keypad. At $20, I think it's worth a try. IMO, the risk that it won't work is relatively low. (The only exception might be the non-standard "000" key.)

Escher
Ok, I decided to buy it and it seems to work ok. Not great, but ok. Numbers are entered fine, including the "000" but anything that would normally work under Num Lock doesn't.

This raises two main problems.

When working in Excel if you enter a number in a cell and hit Enter you won't be sent to the next cell. To get to the next cell you have to hit Num Lock, then hit enter, turn Num Lock off and then begin with the next cell. This is the only time Num Lock seems to work.

To get around this I just hit the enter on my laptop keybourd.

The other issue is the "=" doesn't work. So entering formulas has to be via the "=" on the laptop.

Other than that "Back Space" (delete) works, as do "-", "+", "/" and "*".

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2004, 11:55 AM

Thanks for reporting back.

Hmmmm. I had expected better functionality. It seems odd that a standard key like "=" and "enter" would not work properly on the keypad. But it's certainly still better than using the built-in keyboard alone.

It sounds like you're a heavy Excel user. So I suggest you look into two things: (1) you should be able to find a 3rd party utility to remap whatever signal the "=" key sends to the function that it should be. Same with the "enter" key. (2) I'd try to see if you can find another keypad that supports OS X out of the box.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Nagittar  (op)
May 21, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by escher:
you should be able to find a 3rd party utility to remap whatever signal the "=" key sends to the function that it should be. Same with the "enter" key.

Escher
Does anyone have any experiance in remapping heys? Especially external USB key pad?

Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules