Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > mbp, jump from 2 gig of ram to 4, is there a diff ?

mbp, jump from 2 gig of ram to 4, is there a diff ?
loren s
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 03:25 PM

So I see that 2 gig chips are 40$ ! WTF! They started at 400$ ! Anyway, so I am at 2 gigs now and use all sorts of art apps. The big question is that, I know it should be faster with 4 gigs, But, for it's motherboard, will I really see a big difference ?

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 03:53 PM

this has been asked and answered a zillion times. The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is: it depends on what you're doing. What more ram does it not make anything go faster per se, it just makes the machine slow down less. And only when you're using all the ram.

IMHO, for the money, everyone who used their machine a lot should max their RAM right now. it's so cheap. I maxxed my MBP from 2->3 (that's the most it could take) and it definitely runs parallels+matlab+photoshop+others much much better.

loren s  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2008, 03:58 PM

Cool, thank you! Apologies for the repeat then.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 04:27 PM

I noticed a big difference, I use vmware's fusion, photoshop and Aperture pretty heavily and I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 05:50 PM

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
amazing.

lol that same upgrade costs what? 500$ 800$ on the apple store. lol

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 05:26 PM

it is indeed more expensive at the Store but when you buy ad the RAM yourself and your mac dies, Apple will replace the machine but with the original amount of RAM. then if you have my experience with the ibook G3 that has been replaced with a G4, it hurts to sit on 512 MB of RAM!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by zubro View Post
it is indeed more expensive at the Store but when you buy ad the RAM yourself and your mac dies, Apple will replace the machine but with the original amount of RAM. then if you have my experience with the ibook G3 that has been replaced with a G4, it hurts to sit on 512 MB of RAM!
Take the upgraded RAM out before returning the machine.

Even if you left your RAM in and they took it, you've have to do over a dozen swaps before buying RAM from Apple makes sense ($850 vs ~$70 and falling).

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by zubro View Post
And they should have given you the machine with the same ram upgrade. Did you complain?

Forum Links
Forum Rules