Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about USB Ext. DVD burners.

Question about USB Ext. DVD burners.
JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 06:12 AM

Are there any specifi requirements? Looking to pick up a Mini to handle my workhorse stuff, leave it off the MacBook. That said, Minis with super drives are wayy more expensive than a Mini without one and a drive like this: EXTERNAL SONY DUAL LAYER 20XDVD�RW DVD/RW BURNER USB - eBay (item 190194631634 end time Jan-31-08 19:30:00 PST)

Question is, will that work on X? I've never shopped for External burners before. I'm using Toast, I assume X won't have any issues with anything?

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 06:49 AM

You'll be fine with an external, OS X along with Toast shouldn't have any problems. Do try to get a dual interface type of enclosure though as firewire is way faster than USB.

I just picked up a external Lacie D2 18x burner and love it, much faster than the superdrive.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 07:29 PM

Yes, it should work just fine with OS X and Toast.

Another option is to build your own external. $30 Pioneer DVR-115D in black or beige + $20 USB enclosure + about 5 minutes to assemble it. You can even add Firewire for another couple bucks.

JustinHorne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 08:17 PM

I know FW is way faster, but is the speed limit on USB 2.0 enough to slow the drives burn speed down? On a 20x drive, would I get the full 20?

And thanks for the help.. Looking at the cost, and that I've built Ext HDs before, I 'll go that route.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 10:22 PM

USB2 has no problem keeping up with 20x DVD, some people just like Firewire or don't have any USB ports left.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 10:30 PM

I hate USB 2.0, but in all honesty it should be good enough for a DVD burner.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2008, 12:11 AM

Get a FW/USB enclosure so you'll at least have the flexibility to choose. The early Mac Minis only had 2 USB ports, so using the Firewire one leaves room for other gear without using a hub. The Intel based ones have 4 ports so it's a non-issue. Booting up from either should be possible as well (from what I read of user success stories).

As for getting the full 20X burn speed... Well, you need matching media as well. The best I've seen with an internal 16X SuperDrive reach was 9X (as reported by Toast). Could've been the media... but not reaching its full speed is the least of your worries.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 1, 2008, 12:57 AM

i've burned DVDs with my cheapy HP external USB2 16x burner that reached 12x (again, according to Toast) with no problems.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 01:32 AM

Yes I agree with ginoledesma, get media to match the speed you want.

I usually buy memorex media and been getting good results, very few coasters maybe 5 at the most from a 100 spindle. Also verbatim is very good also but slightly more than the memorex. A good place to check out media prices is meritline.com, pretty good prices.

Happy burning.

JustinHorne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 02:33 AM

Well, I've burned 4-500 various kinds of DVDs for projects and stuff, with various medias (TDK/Sony/Office Max specials) and gotten VERY few coasters... I guess I'm just lucky.

I went ahead and picked up a prebuilt 20X lightscribe drive, in USB enclosure, for $40 today. While I normally agree about the lack of USB ports, the drive and KB/mouse will be the only things plugged into the Mini, so it's not an issue.
Pretty much, the Mini will just be busy doing the things that I hate listening to the fans on the MB deal with... sure, the Mini will be slower, but without any real deadlines, I'll just be able to set up a LONG queue, and let it do it's thing. It'll be nice to not have to keep the MB tethered down while rendering or whatever...
Thanks for the input.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 04:29 AM

JustinHorne just wondering what kind of rendering you doing?

JustinHorne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
JustinHorne just wondering what kind of rendering you doing?
I suppose rendering may have been the wrong word, it's all Image related. I do a lot of time consuming PS work... I've manages to make some macros/automator/PS actions to apply to photos that I shoot (Canon RAW files.) So, what I'll do is: go shoot, come home, apply the stuff to the applicable photos, etc. Thing it, it's like... Well, a minute or two per photo, but multiplied by at least a hundred shots, it adds up fast.

So, yeah, if I had a computer I could just set it and leave, it would make life more convinnet... It's just a pain to listen to the MB fans (LOUD) and have the rest of the compy be slow for the hour or two of work time...

Apart from that, I do a lot of movie compressing/exporting... I'm in the process of converting my DVD library through Handbrake, to be viewable on the iPod.. Again, and hour an a half per movie, mulitplied by a LOT of movies... It adds up.

Plus, whenever I'm not doing anything on it, I'll just set it up to run Folding@home... I might make it into a media server too...

On a related note... Selling my 1.25 G4 PowerMac was a big mistake.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 05:01 AM

@JustinHorne, I hear ya(no pun intended).

Cheers

JustinHorne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 06:02 AM

@JustinHorne, I hear ya(no pun intended).

Cheers
About selling the PowerMac?

Yeah...
Annoyingly, after getting a Mini to replace it, the net money will just BARELY be in the black. But hey, it spurred me into getting a better DVD drive, so it worked out, I suppose. The 4x average drive in the MB just isn't cutting it anymore...

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 07:10 AM

no I meant I deal with the thing with the fan when doing intensive stuff on my MBP.

Cheers

JustinHorne  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 05:07 PM

no I meant I deal with the thing with the fan when doing intensive stuff on my MBP.

Cheers
Oh, no kidding... Those fans are just plain noisy at 6300 RPM.

blues02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 05:54 PM

So you don't need any specific brand of burner when dealing with external stuff?
Gigabit Ethernet G4-400, 768 MB RAM, 60GB & 20GB HD, OSX 10.4.4

iPod Clickwheel 20GB

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 06:11 PM

@blues02 no any brand should just work. Although you might come across one or two that won't work with Apples iStuff(iMovie and iDVD to name a few).

In general though OS X and Apple Hardware play nice with external burners.

Cheers

Cheers

blues02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 10:25 AM

Thank you.
Gigabit Ethernet G4-400, 768 MB RAM, 60GB & 20GB HD, OSX 10.4.4

iPod Clickwheel 20GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules