Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Returned my Macbook Air today...

Returned my Macbook Air today...
popstand
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 10:13 PM

So I purchased a Macbook Air on Saturday, and returned it today, Monday. I had buyer's remorse almost immediately. Wireless transfers from my Mac Pro were unacceptably slow. Target disk mode is one of my favorite things, and I missed it immediately. It's a pretty computer, loved the screen for sure, and it's surprisingly responsive considering the hard drive, but it's not really much more portable than my white Macbook, which is full-featured and much cheaper. I spent some time trying to figure out how to make it work with my needs, and I realized I was going to need an external hard drive, the optional superdrive, and dongles galore. This completely defeats the purpose for me. I know that there's a niche somewhere for this computer, but it's got to be a small one. I could never use this as a primary laptop, and I can't justify the cost as a secondary machine. I'm sticking with my Mac Pro/Macbook combo. Fortunately for me, the computer was also defective. The battery took over nine hours to charge from 10% to full the first day. It was slightly better the next day, but still would take around seven hours to charge up. I reset the SMU, tried everything, but the battery issue would not improve. When I brought it back, the Mac "Genius" didn't even examine it before offering a full refund, which leads me to believe that many have been returned for the same problem. I'm completely relieved. I own a Mac Pro, Macbook, iPod Nano, iPhone, and an AppleTV. My first mac was an SE, and I've owned almost every kind of iPod. I am an unabashed Apple Fanboy, and the Air was the first Apple product that I've had serious misgivings about in a long, long time. A twelve inch Macbook Pro would have been so sweet, and I would have gladly dropped 2 grand on one without ever thinking twice.
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by popstand View Post
So I purchased a Macbook Air on Saturday, and returned it today, Monday. I had buyer's remorse almost immediately. Wireless transfers from my Mac Pro were unacceptably slow. Target disk mode is one of my favorite things, and I missed it immediately. It's a pretty computer, loved the screen for sure, and it's surprisingly responsive considering the hard drive, but it's not really much more portable than my white Macbook, which is full-featured and much cheaper. I spent some time trying to figure out how to make it work with my needs, and I realized I was going to need an external hard drive, the optional superdrive, and dongles galore. This completely defeats the purpose for me. I know that there's a niche somewhere for this computer, but it's got to be a small one. I could never use this as a primary laptop, and I can't justify the cost as a secondary machine. I'm sticking with my Mac Pro/Macbook combo. Fortunately for me, the computer was also defective. The battery took over nine hours to charge from 10% to full the first day. It was slightly better the next day, but still would take around seven hours to charge up. I reset the SMU, tried everything, but the battery issue would not improve. When I brought it back, the Mac "Genius" didn't even examine it before offering a full refund, which leads me to believe that many have been returned for the same problem. I'm completely relieved. I own a Mac Pro, Macbook, iPod Nano, iPhone, and an AppleTV. My first mac was an SE, and I've owned almost every kind of iPod. I am an unabashed Apple Fanboy, and the Air was the first Apple product that I've had serious misgivings about in a long, long time. A twelve inch Macbook Pro would have been so sweet, and I would have gladly dropped 2 grand on one without ever thinking twice.
i feel your pain....have been waiting for a 12" macbook pro since day 1...
the air is impressive, i have considered it as a replacement for my 12" powerbook. don't need much; i can move my files from an external drive to it.
but...not crazy about the footprint; would prefer a smaller footprint as opposed to thin.

damn it!...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 12:26 AM

The MBA seems really cool, but the regular MacBook is such a better value (in my opinion). I probably would have had the same buyer's remorse and returned it too.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by popstand View Post

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2008, 05:31 AM

What the hell was that for?

serranot
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 07:09 AM

Based on your post, you really are not in the market for a MBA. If you need an external HDD, optical drive, and assorted dongles, then the MBA is not for you (as you realized). Clearly, based on what you already own, you're just an Apple junkie that buys whatever they put on the market. I don't mean that as a pejorative; you just can't help buying the latest and greatest from Apple whether you like it or not.

Regards,
Tom
T-bob

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i feel your pain....have been waiting for a 12" macbook pro since day 1...
the air is impressive, i have considered it as a replacement for my 12" powerbook. don't need much; i can move my files from an external drive to it.
but...not crazy about the footprint; would prefer a smaller footprint as opposed to thin.

damn it!...
I've seen hundreds of photos that show the Air and the Macbook having the same "footprint". They are the same size. I'm sure neither is that much bigger than the 12" Powerbook.

popstand  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 11:08 AM

To Tom, no offense taken whatsoever. I'm always on board with the "new hawtness," and I'm done telling my girlfriend things like "Yeah, the iPhone is nice and all, but it's a closed platform. I don't think I really want one..." only to eat crow days later when I sheepishly show her my new toy.

Also, I haven't posted here in ages. Are all the moderators as obnoxious as cold warrior appears to be? Sorry your attention span is only two sentences long.

popstand  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I've seen hundreds of photos that show the Air and the Macbook having the same "footprint". They are the same size. I'm sure neither is that much bigger than the 12" Powerbook.
Having owned a 12" Powerbook, I can tell you the footprint was narrower, and the thickness was about the same as a Macbook. I imagine the current tech would allow a reduction in that original size. The things I miss about the 12" powerbook, aluminum case, small footprint, and dedicated graphics most of all. My 12" powerbook ran Warcraft better than my Macbook (not sure if the newer integrated graphics chips have changed that fact).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 11:28 AM

The question will be, will those who the MBA is marketed to will be enough to make it a successful product.

I've hardly used target disk mode, but by the same token, while I think the MBA is an awesome computer, it doesn't fit my needs.

I'm not a huge road warrior so I need more horsepower then I need smaller-lighter.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
12" powerbook: 10.9 x 8.6 x 1.18 (weight: 4.6lbs)

macbook air: 12.8 x 8.94 x 0.16-0.76 (weight:3lbs)

so, yes, i'd still prefer a full-spec'd 12" mb pro...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Just having a bit of fun with the OP's long block of text.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 02:28 PM

I didn't think it was that long, I've seen much worse. It could have used a little more carriage controls but it wasn't that bad, I thought.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The Moderators are running a contest to see who can use the new graphics the most.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 08:31 PM

You've expressed exactly the same reasons why I couldn't sleep at night if I bought an Air. I ended up purchasing the black MacBook, and I've never been happier with a Mac purchase.

It sounds like you'll get more satisfaction out of all Apple's other lines, and just sticking with what you have or getting a new one if you're feeling randy.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 08:35 PM

if apple just took the 12 inch form factor and re-introduced it, they'd sell a lot of them. they could probably lighten it up a lot if they used some of what they learned with the MBA. i understand what the MBA is for, but it could really use ONE more port. Maybe two.

Also, its got a lot of wasted space around the screen and the keyboard. I'd rather have it smaller.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 08:42 PM

I think that wasted space is being used inside to hold the battery and other stuff

iMan G5
Feb 12, 2008, 11:32 PM

I want my darn 12"(or13.3) MBP. All apple needs to do is put a MB in aluminum and a full, ok video card. I would buy one instead of a black MB or a 15" MBP.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by iMan G5 View Post
I would buy one instead of a black MB or a 15" MBP.
And that is called cannibalization and that is why Apple doesn't. The 12" MBP would steal sales from the MB and MBP line w/o generating any new sales. The MBA has the opportunity to generate new sales.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Well that was hilarious...

[language]

Meh.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 13, 2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: out of line sentence)

Forum Links
Forum Rules