Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why I'm going back to windows.

Why I'm going back to windows. (Page 2)
@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 20, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by zombie punk View Post
It certainly used to be true that there was less freeware for the Mac than for Windows. This seems to have got a little better.
Agreed!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
Just out of curiosity, it al the good software for WIndows free, or do you just know where to "get" it for free?
Pfff, people who argue that there is more free software should check out the reality:

For every one good free PC app, there are 99 lame knock-offs.

The ratio of good to sh!tty free software is far better for Macs.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 09:07 PM

Precisely. Windows has a lot of software and a lot of free software, but an atrocious signal-to-noise ratio. I've always kind of dreaded the idea of the Mac becoming more popular because then it will also get more free crapware.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by zombie punk View Post
It certainly used to be true that there was less freeware for the Mac than for Windows. This seems to have got a little better.
Plus, if you're adventurous, X11 apps will add to the mix. Sure, it's not technically Mac native, but hey.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 10:23 PM

The move to Intel was an extremely wise decision on Apple's part. Many of those X11 apps you speak of wouldn't compile at all on the Mac before. Several still don't, but now it is much easier to bring these sorts of things to the Mac without having to wrestle with PPC.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2008, 12:33 AM

says it all to me

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

kellrandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 12:55 AM

Yup, Mac nOObs just don't get it. I switched about three years ago, and I felt exactly like kelchm, but one thing that still annoys the living crap out of me is the "it costs to much". I can almost guarantee you if you take the same hardware in a MacPro, stuff it into a Dell, you would pay the same, if not more (here's proof, and only has a single Core2Duo, not even a Xeon) and the POS is $2500. Plus another thing you pay for is quality of the build as well. I mean the difference is obvious as far as quality goes. Cheap plastic to solid aluminum? It's a no-brainer.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by kellrandy View Post
Yup, Mac nOObs just don't get it. I switched about three years ago, and I felt exactly like kelchm, but one thing that still annoys the living crap out of me is the "it costs to much". I can almost guarantee you if you take the same hardware in a MacPro, stuff it into a Dell, you would pay the same, if not more (here's proof, and only has a single Core2Duo, not even a Xeon) and the POS is $2500. Plus another thing you pay for is quality of the build as well. I mean the difference is obvious as far as quality goes. Cheap plastic to solid aluminum? It's a no-brainer.
Sure that's the case. If you configure a Dell to match the same stuff Apple puts into a MP you'll end up paying more.

But what many wanna-be switchers point out is that they don't want all that. Many would be happy with a Wolfdale or Yorkfield CPU, a couple of PCI slots, and a few disk bays. And that is a piece of hardware Apple simply doesn't do.

I just can't get why people are up in such a frenzy about it. If such hardware is more important to you than the OS and apps, then build your own box and put Linux and other good free software on it. If the OS and apps are more important to you than "having to live" with an AIO, get an iMac. Apple does what they consider good business. No amount of moaning about their choices on a forum is going to change that. If they don't sell what you need buy from the competition.

Personally, I'd really like a HEM (something like a Power Mac 7600) with a C2Q, 4 DIMM slots, 2 PCI slots, 2 disk bays, etc. As it happens Apple doesn't do that. Tough luck. But I'd never give up the other advantages of OS X or Mac apps just because of that. YMMV of course.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 21, 2008 at 03:22 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 04:04 AM

Yup, Mac nOObs just don't get it.
Says the person signed up for a Mac-related forum.

You know, if the OP wanted to complain some, ask for some ideas, etc., he would have gotten plenty. But he wanted to kvetch and go all emo about how he's going back to the promised land. Well, wrong audience and not one to placate someone so insistent.

OS X isn't the end all, be all. But most of us like it more than Windows and for good reasons.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kelchm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 04:33 AM

So, I did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop today. Have most of my stuff set up/configured.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm missing some stuff from my MacBook.

1. Adium... Its such a well executed and customizable application. About the only thing that even comes close to it on Windows is Digsby.
2. Reliable podcast downloads in iTunes. iTunes isn't perfect but I've yet to find anything else that does podcasts as well as it does. Kudos Apple.
3. Consistency. I kinda forgot how bad the UI inconsistency is in Windows.
4. Driver issues already. Having issues with my current Nvidia drivers, but that is the cost of having drivers that need to be updated for new games all the time.

I'm sorry if my original post rubbed anyone the wrong way, at the time I was a little miffed at some of the issues I was having. Honestly, I still haven't wrapped my head around the idea of using Expose yet, even after having this system for several months. I've even mapped it to a mouse button, but I still find it a pain to use. My instinct is just to go to the dock and click on what I want.

That said, I think I'm gonna give the the MacBook another few weeks and hope for the best. I might try upgrading the hdd/ram to eek a little more performance out of it. As long as I have my desktop for any heavy lifting (encoding/rendering/mass storage) I should be fine using the macbook for day to day use.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 05:37 AM

Use hot corners for Exposé (see the system preferences) - a flick of your mouse to e.g. the top right of the screen can be used to activate it.

Btw, another means of switching windows is Control-F4 (add shift to cycle the reverse direction), which will cycle through all open windows that are visible on screen, but not hidden ones.

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It seems a little bit academic to compare the Dock to the Taskbar when it comes to window-switching. The window-selection function in OS X isn't the Dock, it's Exposé.
That is only partially true - the Dock icon for each app also shows the windows it has open, and can therefore also be used as a window switcher. This is the closest OS X comes to the taskbar grouping in Windows.

Tiresias
Jul 21, 2008, 06:39 AM

I repeat: Configure the fn key in System Preferences to "Show All Windows".

Together with Tabs, you can manage dozens and dozens of windows and applications.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 09:53 AM

re: #1: what can't you expand that needs expanding? If student discounts don't help to get you the h/w you want, why not try the second hand market? I'm trying to sell a PowerBook in excellent condition and was suprised to see how far the average selling price has dropped for similar hardware.

re: #2: a false premise as iTunes handles lossless (see: Apple Loseless Encoder)... http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac060204.html -- not to mention that there are other (free) options available.

re: #3: Exposé + Dock are excellent - far superior to anything Windows offers. The fact that you think you need one exact equivalent to the taskbar seems to be your biggest hurdle.

re: #4: Use plainer wallpapers.

re: #5: Aside from the 1000's of free OS X native applications, there are 1000's of open source *nix software options that run beatifully with X11. I used to run many X programs via X11 but nowadays everything has been ported to native-OS X. This is really a worn out argument against OS X.
( Last edited by rem; Jul 21, 2008 at 10:40 AM. )
Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Pfff, people who argue that there is more free software should check out the reality:

For every one good free PC app, there are 99 lame knock-offs.

The ratio of good to sh!tty free software is far better for Macs.

-t
So true, its difficult to screen out nagware, spyware & malware to find decent Windows apps. Meanwhile there are many high quality free apps for OS X that are so easy to find.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I repeat: Configure the fn key in System Preferences to "Show All Windows".

Together with Tabs, you can manage dozens and dozens of windows and applications.
Alternatively, as I do, set a Active Screen Corner to "Show All Windows".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 10:22 AM

Yup, Mac nOObs just don't get it.
N00bs ?

I'd call the OP a troll, not a n00b.

-t

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Why? What is the point of wasting most of your screen? I can't conceive of a reason you'd need to have a Word document take up 2500x1600 pixels.
I use both OS X and Linux with Gnome. I never use the Maximize button on Gnome for that very reason. With a 21" wide screen, it is totally useless to maximize a window across that size. I would need a ruler to find the next line of text. Zoom is far superior and whoever really wants a bad usability experience on OS X can just drag the corner of the window out as far into usability wasteland as s/he wants.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:46 AM

It sounds to me like you're more into building computers than using them. You say you switch out your video card every 6 months but you don't mention any application that would require such a hardware upgrade. I suspect you're like me when I was young... I just had to have the latest and greatest regardless if I needed it or not. The vast majority of the time I bought stuff I had no use for, but it was great discussion fodder with my friends.

Vista is what ultimately made me join the Mac family. I have never found a less intuitive, slow, cluttered and ugly operating system than Vista (maybe Windows 3.0). Being a 20 PC vet I was appalled that MS release that beta code to the public and actually had the audacity to charge for it. It's no secret Vista sucks and it was the straw that broke th camels back for me. It gave me an excuse to try out the competition and am I glad I did!

To each their own. I'm sure one of these days you'll venture back to Mac.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by kelchm View Post
1. Adium... Its such a well executed and customizable application. About the only thing that even comes close to it on Windows is Digsby.
I agree, Adium is amazing. I used Trillian on Windows for years and thought it was the cats meow, then I discovered Adium when I bought my Mac. I don't think I could ever give it up... and it's free. I paid for Trillian Pro.

2. Reliable podcast downloads in iTunes. iTunes isn't perfect but I've yet to find anything else that does podcasts as well as it does. Kudos Apple.
I've tried every music store I could find and I've always come back to iTunes. Now, I'm proud to say I'm a diehard iTunes man. That, and over the last couple of years (and especially with the purchase of my iPhone which I love) I've settled on iPods as my music player of choice... and iTunes goes with iPod like white goes with rice.

3. Consistency. I kinda forgot how bad the UI inconsistency is in Windows.
I still like XP... bug Vista? OMG, I would rather eat my shoe than be stuck with a Vista machine. I have one here (Dell 9100 - 3ghz - 4gig RAM) and when I had XP on the system it was a speed daemon. Under Vista it's a slow, clunky, turd. Vista is such a resource hog it's staggering. If I really needed the machine I would reinstall XP, but as it is I'm content running XP in a window on my iMac.

4. Driver issues already. Having issues with my current Nvidia drivers, but that is the cost of having drivers that need to be updated for new games all the time.
You're not kidding. I got so pissed with Vista when I installed it on my Dell I was on the verge of throwing the thing out the Window. Many of my old XP apps wouldn't run under Vista and I had driver issue after driver issue. I am so glad to be free of that mess.

That said, I think I'm gonna give the the MacBook another few weeks and hope for the best. I might try upgrading the hdd/ram to eek a little more performance out of it. As long as I have my desktop for any heavy lifting (encoding/rendering/mass storage) I should be fine using the macbook for day to day use.
Unfortunately the Macbook is on the lower end of the performance scale. I understand the need for more power. I started off with a Macbook (which the wife now has and loves) but I quickly moved to a more powerful Macbook Pro. My 2.8ghz iMac is still my preferred system... I love this thing.

jparker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 01:56 PM

What's wrong with this (found today at the Apple store):

Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon $1999 & Free shipping
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm hard drive
16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

Seriously... you get what you pay for. This option splits your difference and I'll bet you'll keep the Mac Pro a lot longer than you will than the jalopy you put together. And don't forget student discounts on new hardware (typically $100-$200 per system).

The only real point being made is that Apple does not have an inexpensive system that allows one to swap and exchange graphics cards for gaming. Frankly, I think Apple is missing a niche here. A "mac-Mini" big enough to accept a (let's say) single slot wide full sized graphics card would be a big seller and probably would cause a lot of Windoze users on the fence to jump over.

Another option would be an iMac with a swappable graphics card. But the mini option described is really the way to go.

... otherwise.... I'm with everyone else...
"Have fun stormin' the castle!"
( Last edited by jparker; Jul 21, 2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Saw the copy didn't list price...)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 02:20 PM

The only thing about the Mac Pro you listed that irks me is that you pay 2 grand and it comes with only 1GB of RAM.

Gone are the days of the Prosumer $1699 tower that allowed for expandability. I love my new iMac, but I wish I had the cash for a tower.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 02:26 PM

What I'm curious about is how many professionals that actually make money using their computers upgrade their stuff every 6 months? My perception is that the BYO computer crowd are mostly comprised of hobbyists and gamers... This is obviously a significant and vocal population, but perhaps it is too small for Apple to worry about? All/most of Apple's strategies seem focused towards a very particular demographic of user, perhaps to a fault.

ibook_steve
Jul 21, 2008, 02:56 PM

Here's a little known keyboard shortcut that I only found out recently.

cmd-` (that's the left apostrophe underneath the esc key) will switch between open windows within an application without having to go into Expose.

You do also know that right-clicking an app in the dock lets you select which window of the app you want, just like the Windows taskbar.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kelchm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by rem View Post
re: #2: a false premise as iTunes handles lossless (see: Apple Loseless Encoder)... http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/mac060204.html -- not to mention that there are other (free) options available.
Yes, iTunes can handle ALAC, but it has no native method to transcode those files during syncing. Putting lossless files on a flash based play just doesn't make sense.

Regardless of what some of you may think I'm not trying to troll.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What I'm curious about is how many professionals that actually make money using their computers upgrade their stuff every 6 months? My perception is that the BYO computer crowd are mostly comprised of hobbyists and gamers... This is obviously a significant and vocal population, but perhaps it is too small for Apple to worry about? All/most of Apple's strategies seem focused towards a very particular demographic of user, perhaps to a fault.
It looks to me as though the BYO crowd these days is mostly reserved for serious gamers who bulid systems with top-of-the-line parts.

Aside from OS X being my primary OS, I'm a Linux hobbyist and recently upgraded my Linux desktop PC. Normally I would BMO, but these days a mid-range PC, which offers average performance on Vista, makes a really kick @zz Linux machine. I bought an HP Pavilion Slimline. At first I resisted this idea because I didn't want to contribute toward a Vista license. I asked if I could buy the machine without Windows, but its not possible. I installed Linux as soon as I got home, which was cheaper than building from scratch.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 04:10 PM

Yes, iTunes can handle ALAC, but it has no native method to transcode those files during syncing.
Is this something you can do with a Windows PC and a Zune? Or that you could somehow do with Windows but not OS X using a non-flash device?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wow, that's all ? No snide remark, no iron-fisted sarcasm ? I'm disappointed...

-t
Is that the reputation I hold? Sorry to disappoint.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
I'm sure going to miss...

What was his name again?
sorry...but THAT was funny!

But seriously more than half of the issues you mention are easily "fixable."

But it really sounds like you want to go back to a PC and nothing we say will change that.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Imagine this: you have 2 Word documents open, and 2 IE windows open. You can easily use the Taskbar to switch between the windows. You cannot easily do so with the Dock. I know Expose kills that, but sometimes I wonder if the Dock would work better with such a 1-to-1 relationship. For instance, imagine if you had 2 Safari windows open, and you could have 2 Safari icons in the Dock next to each other, one for each window.

I use a laptop, so I don't have that many pixels. But some apps work better with huge windows, like iPhoto or Mail or Logic or iTunes. Naturally, text or web pages work better when they are thin and long, but I do like working with maximized, 2-page display in Pages or Skim.
I find the fastest way to switch between apps is by using the Command+tab keystroke. it is much faster than taking your hands off the keyboard to use your mouse - even if you have multiple apps open because it automatically switches you to the app you most recently used so it is easy to go back and forther between word and safari even it you have 5 other apps open.

Also it used to drive me nuts to have multiple windows of explorer open when I was on a PC. It would take up the entire taskbar at times. That's why I love tabbed browsing.

Oh well. Horses for Courses...

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jparker View Post
The only real point being made is that Apple does not have an inexpensive system that allows one to swap and exchange graphics cards for gaming. Frankly, I think Apple is missing a niche here. A "mac-Mini" big enough to accept a (let's say) single slot wide full sized graphics card would be a big seller and probably would cause a lot of Windoze users on the fence to jump over.
The basic reason Apple sells the Mac mini and not a cheap mini-tower is simple: support costs. Every possible upgrade is a possible hardware problem. With the Mac mini, there's no chance of support calls over graphic cards, audio cards, networking cards, etc.
Originally Posted by jparker View Post
Another option would be an iMac with a swappable graphics card. But the mini option described is really the way to go.
I think Apple should do just that: sell the iMac with integrated graphics, but with a single slot for a gamer's card. But will they? Apple has chosen to slim down the iMac at every opportunity, so I can't see it happening.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2008, 10:32 PM

I'm an audiophile also, and I constantly transfer lossless files from CD to iPod via iTunes, which codes them in the AIFF format. I am not sure how this would not work for you. I just drag the tracks or the entire CD in the iPod window in iTunes, and it automatically downloads them when I plug the Pod in. Just go to iTunes>Preferences>Importing and select the AIFF Encoder.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
I find the fastest way to switch between apps is by using the Command+tab keystroke. it is much faster than taking your hands off the keyboard to use your mouse - even if you have multiple apps open because it automatically switches you to the app you most recently used so it is easy to go back and forther between word and safari even it you have 5 other apps open.
Oh no, the absolute fastest way to navigate OSX is with Quicksilver. There is nothing on Windows that compares and the beauty? It's free.

http://www.blacktree.com/

This is totally revolutionary software, if you've not tried Quicksilver - try it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
Oh no, the absolute fastest way to navigate OSX is with Quicksilver. There is nothing on Windows that compares and the beauty? It's free.

This is totally revolutionary software, if you've not tried Quicksilver - try it.
I agree, QS is awesome.

Unfortunately, its future is quite dim. Website is barely loading, no more features developed.

It's about time for some company to gobble up QS and make it a paid product with a future.

-t

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2008, 10:55 PM

That's odd, their website pops up quickly for me.

I agree though, it's time it goes paid. That would make an already outstanding product even better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 10:57 PM

That's odd, their website pops up quickly for me.

I agree though, it's time it goes paid. That would make an already outstanding product even better.
Official statement from the QS FAQ:

AFAICT, plans for the future of the program are unknown

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2008, 11:02 PM

There are no guarantees that making it a commercial or shareware product would either keep it alive, or make the product any better. The code appears to be available, if people want to make it better they are perfectly welcome to.

kelchm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by rem View Post
Is this something you can do with a Windows PC and a Zune? Or that you could somehow do with Windows but not OS X using a non-flash device?
Several windows media management applications can do this. The primary ones I use are JRiver Media Jukebox / Media Center and Media Monkey. Both JRiver and Media Monkey work with just about any mp3 player out there including the iPod touch.

The odd thing is that iTunes supports on the fly transcoding for the iPod Shuffle. Go figure.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post

Whenever I used to use OS 9, I get so frustrated, there's no way to switch apps, apart from that stupid switcher/finder menu in the top right. Windows get lost behind each other all the time, especially when you use that roller blind feature.

How did people manage?
Apple + Tab?

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2008, 10:04 AM

You and others have intrigued me. The site says little about the app but I might give it a whirl.

What are your thoughts on Telekinesis and the Lame encoder? Any good? I remember years ago there was a Lame encoder that was significantly better than the one that came with iTunes. How's this compare?

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2008, 11:18 AM

I can't seem to get the downloaded QS file to work. It comes through as QS.3815.dmg.bz2 file. I have no idea what a bz2 file is but nothing seems to make a workable file from that.

Thoughts?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 12:13 PM

Remove .bz2 from the filename and all should be well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 12:15 PM

bz2 is bzip2 compression, removing this extension is no magic bullet, unless this file was misnamed/labeled. You can decompress bzip2 files via OS X's built in unarchiver, the terminal, etc.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 12:33 PM

It seems a little bit academic to compare the Dock to the Taskbar when it comes to window-switching. The window-selection function in OS X isn't the Dock, it's Exposé.
I couldn't switch to Windows simply because of Exposé. Best window management system I've ever used.

All it's missing is xroach.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
bz2 is bzip2 compression, removing this extension is no magic bullet, unless this file was misnamed/labeled. You can decompress bzip2 files via OS X's built in unarchiver, the terminal, etc.
Except for the fact that Safari sometimes adds that extension to a downloaded file if the server from which it's being downloaded doesn't know the proper file type.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 09:53 PM

If the server didn't know the MIME type for the file it would be treated as text/html, and thus come up as gibberish in the browser. Do you have an example file that does that? I would like to see that in action, not that I disbelieve you.

Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2008, 11:31 PM

Don't get me wrong. I really like OS X and I'd like to keep using it. In any case, heres why I'm going back.
If you really liked it you wouldn't be going back.

1. Hardware. I know that for most consumers out there a laptop or all in one desktop works for you. For me it doesn't. I need an expandable/upgradeable desktop system. Unfortunately the only offering Apple has that meets these needs is the $3000 Mac Pro. Something I can't afford as a student.
I agree Apple lacks in the expandable/upgradable desktop department. You used to be able to get such a system from Apple not to long ago in the form of a Power Mac for about $1, 799 (not factoring in an education discount that brought the price even lower). I think Apple made a mistake taking away that system for the reason you point out. With that said, I used to always buy the low end Power Mac configuration. I , however, figured out that although I liked the idea of being able to upgrade, I never really did upgrade outside of external upgrades. I am curious why you need to upgrade. Also, as another person pointed out, you can get a refurbished Mac Pro for just under $2, 000. You also get the same warranty and most the time the machine is refurbished simply because a person opened the box. If you like living on the edge, I understand Pystar will sell such a system. Moreover, it will look a lot like the WIndows machine you most likely will be getting.

2. Itunes. (and the fact there are no alternatives) I like iTunes overall, but its missing a key feature thats a near deal breaker for me. I'm something of an audiophile and rip all of my CDs in lossless format. I need to be able to do d like to do on the fly transcoding when transferring to an iPod. On windows I would use Media Monkey or JRiver MEdia Center to do this.
There is at least one third party script that is supposed to allow you to do this in iTunes. See here. I also found quite a bit of websites on the topic.

3. As nice as the dock looks, it just doesn't work for me. I find the taskbar to be much more conducive to multi tasking.
I can't stand the Taskbar, but I agree the Dock needs work as well. However, there are a variety of third party applications that can change how the Dock looks and functions.

4. A distracting enviroment... OS X looks great, but the fact is I'm not as productive when I use it. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think part of it comes down to the fac that I can't just 'maximize' the window I'm working with. In windows this is as easy as a lick and it means all my focus is on that application, not the desktop or anytihng else i nthe background.
Not sure what you mean there as I maximize my Windows everyday. Perhaps you don't know how to do it properly in OSX.

5. This one is minor, but its still a factor. So much good software for OS X costs money.
True, but so much of it doesn't. The same also applies on Windows. Perhaps you don't know where to look. Perhaps you should give examples.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a Mac Pro.
If you really wanted one, you could afford it now.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
If you really wanted one, you could afford it now.
"Really wanting" an extra couple grand doesn't actually get you any money in real life.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2008, 02:58 AM

"Really wanting" an extra couple grand doesn't actually get you any money in real life.
Absolutely true.

But I think the point Terrin was making was that if the OP had really wanted to stay with OS X he would have looked into alternatives before jumping the gun. Heck, he could have come to this board and asked what to do. People would have then pointed him to a kick-ass refurb MP for $2k.

Personally I think the poster didn't appreciate the advantages of OS X and had pretty much made up his mind when he came here. What purpose this thread should have served is beyond me. Maybe try and get some reassurance. Only problem with that is this is definitely the wrong board for that.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2008, 11:23 AM

did you guys miss his post? He clearly stated that he wanted to be able to play crysis and pwn his friends w/ his new 500$ video card that he's running in a 500$ POS homebuild with a power supply that is about to fry the whole thing.

it is truly a shame that apple doesn't sell a cheap expandable box, but then again it won't really help b/c 95% of the video cards now aren't supported and 8 cores is overkill for gaming right now when the max benefit comes with 1 or 2.

as for his other complaints. I think he's forgotten how crappy windows truly is. I'd recommend pirating or borrowing a copy of XP, installing it in bootcamp and then remembering how much it doth suck.

kellrandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Says the person signed up for a Mac-related forum.
been a loyal Apple customer since the Apple IIe. You know what they say when you assume things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules