Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Graffiti on iPhone

Graffiti on iPhone
philm
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 06:05 PM

I hope that that the forthcoming SDK allows somebody to develop a Graffiti-like method of text entry onto the iPhone. I was thinking about this earlier and I see that this page reports that something like this is coming.

I always loved Graffiti on my old Palms and Treos as it's just a much more efficient way of getting information onto your handheld device. I find the iPhone's keyboard OK but no better than that, and a finger-based handwriting recognition alternative would be great I reckon. It also really fits in with the philosophy of the iPhone.

Thanks for listening; I feel better now.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 06:44 PM

There have been hacks to allow Graffiti on jailbroken phones.

But as great as Graf1 was, I'd be very very surprised to ever see it again.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 10:18 PM

I never liked Graffiti. The handwriting recognition on the last Newtons was much better.
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; May 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: silly grammar mistake)

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2008, 11:49 PM

As much as I liked the handwriting recognition on the last newton (fun fact: I was a beta tester for the newton os 2.0), I agree with the OP. Grafitti was just so simple that I would love to try it on my iPhone...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2008, 12:12 AM

Well of course it's subjective. The primary thing I didn't like about Graffiti was having to adapt my writing to it. When I got a Palm Pilot back in the day, it felt like a step backward with regard to handwriting recognition. With the Newton (still have my 2100, which works as well as ever), I could pretty much write as messy as I wanted to, and it was remarkably accurate in determining what was written.

BTW, isn't Apple's Inkwell technology based on Newton's? I remember reading that somewhere before.

philm  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Well of course it's subjective. The primary thing I didn't like about Graffiti was having to adapt my writing to it. When I got a Palm Pilot back in the day, it felt like a step backward with regard to handwriting recognition. With the Newton (still have my 2100, which works as well as ever), I could pretty much write as messy as I wanted to, and it was remarkably accurate in determining what was written.

BTW, isn't Apple's Inkwell technology based on Newton's? I remember reading that somewhere before.
Seeing as we are talking hypothetically, there is room for both Newton-type and Graffiti-type recognition systems, and possibly others too. Why not?

I loved Graffiti. I guess accuracy is increased in writing recognition systems if the user is forced to adopt a small number of odd letters which are more readily distinguishable by the software, albeit at the cost of a modest learning curve (about two minutes in the case of Graffiti) to adopt the strange letters.

Either way, I reckon having this option would really enhance my iPhone experience. Bring it on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules