Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sawtooth 400MHz AGP - What are my upgrade video options?

Sawtooth 400MHz AGP - What are my upgrade video options?
BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 09:35 PM

I have a Sawtooth G4 400MHz AGP Powermac and was wondering what is the best option for an upgrade to the video card ? Currently have the RAGE AGP 16MB card in it.

Need 32 MB + to take advantage of the quartz extreme. I mainly use it for Web Design and Video work - not heavy on the games too much. It seems from the information I have got from resellers, not sure if it is true or not, that some of the newer ATI cards do not work in this model ??

I do not need the Ultra latest in cards, but something that does no t have a crazy price tag and is available in Australia.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 04:45 AM

I have a ATI 8500 and either that or the ATI would serve you well. However if you do not do gaming the 150 USD will give you half of G4/800 CPU upgrade and I think you are better served by a CPU upgrade than a new video card QE not withstanding

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 09:17 AM

I bought an 8500 for my Sawtooth 350 Mhz and it works like a charm, QuartzExtreme and all. It is a great card, low price.

Remember, that your bus is going to be the limit in most of this stuff. You can through a 9700 in there, but will not get the full benefit of it.

BZ

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2003, 11:28 AM

Agree with all. I have got a Sawtooth 400 AGP and upgraded to ATi 8500 for Mac, and it's really great.
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 11:56 AM

I have a G4/450 Sawtooth and got a flashed GeForce2 MX400. It's fast enough if you're not gaming at all and it's way cheaper than a flashed Radeon 8500.

There's a thread in the PowerMac forums about flashing a Radeon 8500 and here's the information you need on flashing a GeForce2 MX: http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 04:10 PM

I have also got myself a Radeon 8500. The improvement isn't huge, mostly because of the Bus. However, I got it for cheap (flashed it)
so I'm happy.

You may be better off getting a faster chip.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2003, 08:27 PM

I have a G4/500 Sawtooth, and I upgraded the GPU to a flashed GeForce3 just before Jag was released. The improvement in GUI was marked. I didn't measure it in any way, but I could notice an improvement. Of course, games were also improved.

I think it all depends on how long you expect to keep your current Mac. If you want it for another year or so, I'd say save up for a processor upgrade, you'll get more out of it. But if you're planning on getting rid of it within 6 months or so, I'd say go for the GPU. You'll get some small improvements with the GPU, and you'll save some money for your next machine.

my 2�

BrettOZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2003, 10:00 PM

Thank you all for the feedback - much appreciated. Seems like most people are happy with the 8500 card. I guess I only want to hang on to this machine for maybe another 12 months, then I will buy a new machine and this will become a server box.

Anyone else had good success with flashed PC cards ?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by BrettOZ:
Anyone else had good success with flashed PC cards ?
Mine went perfectly, Sapphire 8500 purchased from the local PC shop.

I actually flashed 2 cards, but the first one had a problem with OpenGL causing the memory chips to overheat (hence useless with 10.2). Worked great in 9 and older RAVE games though!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 10:34 PM

I have a 400MHz G4 Sawtooth and bought a Radeon 8500. Saw some increase in speed but not too noticeable except with OpenGL games (Quake III, not Ghost Recon as I had hoped).

I'd either go with a CHEAP flashed PC card or a CPU upgrade (people seem to like the GigaSystems G4 cards).

BrettOZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 09:17 PM

Or I could hold out, save my money and wait to see what is released mid-year, a new motherboard for the Powermacs ?

Thanks to all for your comments, I really am divided on either getting a new video card or going for the upgrade to the processor ??

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 04:19 PM

what means to "flash" a card, and how can I do it with, say, a Radeon 8500?

*don't hit me, I really don't know!*

Forum Links
Forum Rules