Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Laptop

Apple Laptop
iMACBeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 11:28 PM

I have owned Macs and only Macs. I am currently considering purchasing an iBook (or a Powerbook still debating! ). I have a few questions.

Are there any problems with either laptop that I should be aware of? (The laptop won't be used as a desktop replacement.)

Have you ever purchased a computer through Apple's website? Are they more expensive?

Are there any big Apple price reductions coming out that I should wait for?

Although, I am fairly competent when it comes to computers, I am by no means a Computer Programmer... please feel free to 'dumb' any problems down to layman's terms for me!

Thanks in advance!
iMACBeth

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2004, 12:05 AM

What do you do?
What do you want to use your mobile Mac for?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iMACBeth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 01:11 AM

I just want to use it for situations where I can't take my desktop. Mostly to class for note-taking, library research...stuff like that.
iMACBeth

tmjf_sifu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 01:48 AM

hey

i have been looking at iBooks, too. i have been researching for about a month and here are a few things i have learned:

pluses for the 12"

-it is just so freaking awesome and ultraportable in form. you can carry it anywhere without busting your hump, and it just is so sweet to have the portability.

-the screen seems to be just a tiny but more sharp than the 14".

-lower price.

minuses for the 12"

-the 12" seems to have a lot of problems in the last incarnation which included poor fit and finish with creaky cases, handrests, popping sounds when pressure is applied to the case, touchpads which went crazy, touchpad buttons activated by laying hands on the handrests, faulty display wiring and most famously, faulty logic boards. i almost stayed with PC's because of all this crap (until i looked into the 14").

-the new g4 12"ers seem to be a major improvement in design but i have heard of some people still having the logic board problem.

-the 12"ers still have some fit and finish issues. all of the models i have inspected flex a bit to much for my taste in the palm rest area, especially on the left. the model i looked at today would activate the touchpad button every time i laid both hands on the computer. after careful consideration, i believe this is due to the susceptibility of the 12" to the heat generated in the left handrest by the hardware underneath. the heat causes the polycarbonate to soften, warp and flex quite a bit. i have also noticed that the keyboard fit for the 12" is occasionally poor and unlevel.

-the 12" definitely is less speedy than the 14" 933 and i have tested this multiple times using the same criteria for both models.

now for the 14"

pluses for the 14"

-bigger, beautiful screen, less eye strain over the long term.

-faster cpu and overall better performance.

-better fit and finish overall.

-more sturdy with less case flex due to better heat distribution/dissipation by the larger case.

-i have found no reference to common repetitive hardware problems with the 14".

minuses for the 14"

-bigger.

-heavier (one pound).

-more expensive (~$200).

it may sound as if i am prejudiced toward the 14" but this is only through research. i still love the size of the 12" and i am tempted to order one still. both books offer outstanding performance and battery life in a package/price that cannot be touched by a PC. both have OS X and come with the same software package.

for me, the 14" seems to be the better choice. i cannot afford to throw money away on a lemon. with my shcedule and needs, i cannot afford even one day of lost productivity because i had to ship my pc to apple. although i lose one pound and a couple inches of portability, i can live with it for a more polished package.

one thing i hate about both books is the tendency for the battery to protrude. i have yet to see one that does not stick out about .5 mm or more. i even see it on the powerbooks. i think it is total crap.
just my $.02. i hope my hours of anal research help.

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2004, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by iMACBeth:
I just want to use it for situations where I can't take my desktop. Mostly to class for note-taking, library research...stuff like that.
Sounds like a 12" iBook is your machine.
Far cheaper than the 12" PowerBook, lighter and cheaper than the 14".

I have had both, the 12" and the 14" iBook so far -- I went back to 12"

Especially if you have a more powerful machine at home, there is no need to take a bigger one. Make sure to put in more RAM though, as OS X eats RAM for breakfast.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Sounds like a 12" iBook is your machine.
Far cheaper than the 12" PowerBook, lighter and cheaper than the 14".

I have had both, the 12" and the 14" iBook so far -- I went back to 12"

Especially if you have a more powerful machine at home, there is no need to take a bigger one. Make sure to put in more RAM though, as OS X eats RAM for breakfast.
This discussion is helping me also, thanks.

My 4 yr old G3 powerbook PC (bronze keyboard) is going to cost me $300-$400 in repairs. The Apple service guys (2 different stores) pointed out that I was a third of the way there in cost for a new ibook.

I wasn't in the market until this disaster. . .so what should I be aware of in considering a new G4 or used G3 (prices are lower right?)

Before reading these posts I thought a 14" screen would be better--mainly for viewing a bigger screen, working on word documents, but I'm wondering if the smallest screen is sufficient.

Also have learned on these posts of some problems with the G3, ie. hinge, and cables going bad?

So if you had to go shopping now and wanted to keep it under $1100 what would you do?

I'm not a programmer either. . .mostly writing, excel, internet use.

Thanks,

ClaraT

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by iMACBeth:
Have you ever purchased a computer through Apple's website? Are they more expensive?
I have never purchased directly from Apples website for one reason and one reason only: Sales tax.

I happen to live in a state where the sales tax rate is 9%, which can kill just about any good deal. So, I usually order from a reputable online vendor for Mac stuff such as SmallDog, MacWarehouse, or Amazon. The plus about ordering from places other than Apple is the fact that not only do you save the sales tax cost, but you often get freebies such as a carrying cases, extra RAM... etc.

But to answer your question about price directly: No, besides sales tax it is not more expensive to buy from Apple directly. Apple does a good job of setting standard prices that everybody who sells Macs must stay within the vicinity of. The variance is usually no more than $8-10 between any Mac vendor.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 04:32 PM

I priced an edu discount iBook earlier today and noticed their was free shipping! If you can get the edu discount, use Apples website. If not, then go with whoever gives you the most free stuff for the same price!

radarbob
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 05:05 PM

Before reading these posts I thought a 14" screen would be better--mainly for viewing a bigger screen, working on word documents, but I'm wondering if the smallest screen is sufficient.
Realize that you do not get more "real estate" on the 14'' iBook vs. the 12'' iBook, it just bigger. Just like watching a football game on large-screen TV
- you don't get a more panaramic view, it's the same picture, just magnified.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by radarbob:
Realize that you do not get more "real estate" on the 14'' iBook vs. the 12'' iBook, it just bigger. Just like watching a football game on large-screen TV
- you don't get a more panaramic view, it's the same picture, just magnified.
So the picture looks bigger. . .not that you see more of a page?
This helps. . .thank you.
I'm going to stop by the Apple store and do a side by side visual comparison.

Also the discussion on buying at various sites. . .I presume we can purchase Apple Care here, too. With some of the posts I've researched talking about breakdown problems that would probably be smart, eh?

ClaraT

Stinkysteve
Jan 15, 2004, 09:39 PM

You have a year to buy the Apple Care. If you buy it in the first 90 days you will get unlimited telephone support from Apple.
I would get the Apple Care on any portable.

OreoCookie
Jan 16, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
So the picture looks bigger. . .not that you see more of a page?
This helps. . .thank you.
I'm going to stop by the Apple store and do a side by side visual comparison.

Also the discussion on buying at various sites. . .I presume we can purchase Apple Care here, too. With some of the posts I've researched talking about breakdown problems that would probably be smart, eh?

ClaraT
No, you don't see more on a page. It's just nicer to watch DVDs with friends, but that's all. 12" is just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules