Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help A Mac Noob Please. Powermac G4 and CPU Upgrade, will this work?

Help A Mac Noob Please. Powermac G4 and CPU Upgrade, will this work?
kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2005, 10:44 PM

My knowledge of Mac's is limited, but not my computer knowledge. I work in IT so I know what I am doing for the most part, but I am new to Mac's.

I was first looking at Mac Mini's then Powermacs and decided the Mini might not be what I want and the G5 Powermac is more than I want to spend.

I am considering an ibook or powerbook but for now, this seems to be a good bet.

Will this be a good set up and will this CPU upgrade work with this Powermac?

Good Prices and Good Parts? Help is appriacted.

That Powermac, I have a 160GB IDE HDD Maxtor to put in no problems with that right? And it runs standard SD Ram Pc 100/133 I assume?

http://www.macofalltrades.com/produc...JTS1TUCM4W8T73

This CPU Upgrade either the 933/1ghz or the 1.2ghz

When it says 933 up to 1ghz or whatever does that depend on the Powermac bus speed or what? Would that run at 1ghz in that powermac?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accel...rcury-Extreme/

Sorry for the noob questions but I dont want to throw 600 bucks out for something that wont work correctly.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2005, 11:19 PM

The CPU upgrade will run at 1GHz in 100MHz FSB Macs.

Your 160GB Maxtor will only be recognized as 128GB because of the capacity limitation on that Power Mac G4's built in IDE controller.

Yes, standard PC-100/133 will work.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50
Administrator
Mar 20, 2005, 11:27 PM

Since 128 GB is 137 GB in the decimal measurements the HD manufacturers use, and the 160 size is the decimal version, you won't lose as much as it looks like. About 21 GB will be unreachable without 3rd party help.

While standard PC100/133 will usually work, if you use 512 modules, you would do best to buy modules intended for Macs. Most generic PC modules will either not be recognized in that size, or will only be utilized as a 256 module.

kapkorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 01:11 AM

Thanks guys.

Does that look like a good start? Or is there something else you would reccomend or a vendor you think is better?

I dont have any really big plans for the Mac as far as intensive work, I have a fast PC so this is just to tinker with, and if I end up really enjoying it I will get a new Powermac sometime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules