Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DarWINE for Intel screenshots (JPEG)

DarWINE for Intel screenshots (JPEG)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 8, 2006, 10:17 AM

Darwine for Intel Macs is on the way

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Once I can run Quicken 2006 through Darwine stably on an Intel Mac, that's good enough for me.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 12:50 PM

Sweet.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 06:56 PM

Right, I have got this installed and IT WORKS, (the folks over on the SimCity forum distro there stuff as installers instead of just zips, I can now run them on my mac, not in emulation, Yay). This thing will only run simple stuff at the mo though, anyone want to see what can work (humm wonder if i can get a standalone IE to run? That would ROCK for web dev. {edit} Must lean to much on the OS, even the 'standalone' version{/edit})
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Feb 8, 2006 at 07:12 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2006, 07:02 PM

Wow. That's really WinZip...good old WinZip, which really wants a legitimate Windows API to run. How fast is it under DarWINE? That would be a good measure of both processing performance and file access at the same time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 08:14 PM

Great News,

Mediaman_12 can you test the latest version of MSN Messenger for PC?

And whatever you are testing please post some screenshots!

I wish there was some kind of compatibility checker I could run on a PC or Mac to show if the software is DarWINE compatible.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 08:33 PM

Anyone having the PPC version running? Oh yeah, I should get around to installing X11, I guess...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 10:00 PM

Would be interesting to know if the PC version of Photoshop CS2 runs faster than the mac one.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
Anyone having the PPC version running? Oh yeah, I should get around to installing X11, I guess...
The PPC version isn't done yet. qemu-user needs to be ported first. On one of the Darwine forums, the guy who's working on porting qemu-user said he's almost got it working, but that he doesn't have time to work on it during the school year so he'll finish it in the summer.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 01:21 AM

Pinball, Solitaire, & Minesweeper

No OpenGL support yet, but personally I don't care.

iNic69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Darwine for Intel Macs is on the way

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Once I can run Quicken 2006 through Darwine stably on an Intel Mac, that's good enough for me.
Will it run PearPC?
are there any binaries available?
(I'm trying to compile PearPC myself on my imac Core Duo 2Ghz...)

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Pinball, Solitaire, & Minesweeper

No OpenGL support yet, but personally I don't care.
I know, this is so cool.

MS is going to be so pissed.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 09:35 AM

Is it correct to assume these are all self-contained apps? ie. IIRC, none of these apps are ones that require big lists of registry entries. Correct?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006, 11:38 AM

Now Mac users can enjoy both the processor and the ugly apps Windows users have enjoyed for years!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 01:26 PM

I dont get this... does this let me run any windows app on mac? or does this let me run some apps? or does this just let me run apps that have been specially modified from windows apps to run in DarWINE?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 01:49 PM

This lets you run some Windows applications on your Mac, which have NOT been modified. It's not yet fully compatible, but later this year, CrossOver Office for Mac OS X should be released. By then it should be possible to use Windows versions of complex applications such as Microsoft Office 2003, Photoshop or Dreamweaver on your Mac - and that means that most Windows applications that do not have a Mac equivalent should also work.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 07:17 PM

hello.

looking forward to our next ch... wait, wrong thread.

I've heard about WINE but I don't know much about it. Do programs take a performance hit like in VPC, or would it be possible to run apps pretty seamlessly?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
hello.

looking forward to our next ch... wait, wrong thread.

I've heard about WINE but I don't know much about it. Do programs take a performance hit like in VPC, or would it be possible to run apps pretty seamlessly?
The idea is that they are seamless, but nobody has given any indication of speed except to say "There is a very small performance hit on some apps, some aps may run faster", I want someone to run a benchmarking tool and post the numbers.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
The idea is that they are seamless, but nobody has given any indication of speed except to say "There is a very small performance hit on some apps, some aps may run faster", I want someone to run a benchmarking tool and post the numbers.
The problem is that lots of these benchmarking tools require an installer that leans heavily on Windows (paths etc.). If someone has some sort of benchmark app that's a non installer, I will give it a spin on my Intel iMac install of Wine.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 06:01 PM

Apparently, someone has Quake 2 running on their Intel iMac using Darwine:

screenshot
OSX86 forum post

If people get more games running then the fps they get could be an indicator of performance...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2006, 06:49 PM

I think for DarWINE someone would have to come up with a specialized benchmark that depends entirely on what DarWINE is capable of. In other words, if it runs Word, build a script to have Word put through its paces and time it. Viola, a benchmark.

Benchmarks don't need to be all in the machine's innards you know. Start with a standardized source file. Save a copy of it to get a date-time stamp. Now manipulate the crap out of the standard source and when you're done save a copy of the manipulated result-thus generating a new date-time stamp. Have the script compare the end time to the begin time and you have a metric. You can save intermediate results for intermediate times, using various manipulations that exercise different parts of the API to obtain relative times for those too.

Anybody out there great at scripting?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
I know, this is so cool.

MS is going to be so pissed.
They already are. WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) checks to see if WINE files exist.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 07:09 PM

Apparently, Photoshop 6 is now running under Darwine (same thread as before)... I'll LMAO if someone gets CS2 working 'cos you could get better performance from the Windows version of PS CS2 running under WINE than you can from the Mac version running under Rosetta

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 07:36 PM

There is now a version that doesn't require a complex install procedure here (you still need X11 installed though), just run the Win .exe's via the WineHelper app.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Feb 10, 2006 at 09:14 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2006, 08:02 PM

Sounds like they have Photoshop running in WINE faster than it does in Rosetta.

D'oh. Apparently I wasn't the first to notice.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 08:45 PM

The only difference between Windows and Wine is the Libraries (in terms of running a program) so I'm not surprised that Photoshop would run faster under Wine than Rosetta. Rosetta is translating on the fly.

The theory behind Wine is that it's Libraries are essentially performing the same functions as their Windows counterparts. Rosetta has to say for each instruction "Okay, This app wants this instruction. Send this instruction." and then the chip/OS/whatever says "Okay, here's the result" and then Rosetta says "Okay, turn this result into this result, here's the thing you wanted."

WINE is translating A bronx accent to A Southern accent.
Rosetta is translating English to Japanese.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 11:46 PM

Yikes!
PC version of Photoshop 6 running faster than the Mac version under Rosetta.

http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/6040/ps60as.jpg

I hope people realize how important this is going to be, the whole Mac experience has just changed.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Feb 10, 2006 at 11:59 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Sounds like they have Photoshop running in WINE faster than it does in Rosetta.
Which doesn't surprise me, since Photoshop running in WINE would be running natively on the Intel processor, while Photoshop in Rosetta would be emulated. It should be massively faster or something's wrong.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Which doesn't surprise me, since Photoshop running in WINE would be running natively on the Intel processor, while Photoshop in Rosetta would be emulated. It should be massively faster or something's wrong.
WINE generally does well, but there are a few sore spots in its non-emulation; I'll see if I can dig up the benchmark that one of the WINE developers did recently.

edit: Here are Windows vs WINE benchmarks
Note the percentages are a bit misleading... +90% means that WINE is almost twice as fast as Windows, while -90% means that Windows is ten times faster than WINE.

BrainFart567
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 03:21 AM

Sweet.
sig? lemme look around and swipe something original.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I think we all realise this, but the reason I mentioned it is that, assuming the CS2 suite could be made to work really well in WINE (I don't know if it can or not... running in WINE is presumably a lot different to actually working in WINE), then people holding off buying a MBP or Intel iMac because of the absence of a native Mac version of CS2 may be tempted to switch to the Windows version just so they can get a MBP. That just strikes me as being funny, black humour-wise.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 07:37 AM

I have just downloaded DarWINE, and I can't get it to work . I open the WineHelper app, and then try to open one of the sample apps that comes with the download, and it doesn't open. From what I can see in the Wine Log window, it says 'No such file or directory'. What gives?

PS im running a 17" Core Duo/10.4.4/X11 installed
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I have just downloaded DarWINE, and I can't get it to work . I open the WineHelper app, and then try to open one of the sample apps that comes with the download, and it doesn't open. From what I can see in the Wine Log window, it says 'No such file or directory'. What gives?

PS im running a 17" Core Duo/10.4.4/X11 installed
If you start X11, what does it say in the xterm window that opens?
(i.e. mine says "Antony-Ellams-Computer:~ antony$", if it ways something else X11 may be running a different 'shell')

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 12:55 PM

Mine says the same as yours (though not with your name hehe)

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 01:13 PM

Yes, now what's stopping developers from selling Windows versions of apps bundled with DarWINE to Mac people?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
Yes, now what's stopping developers from selling Windows versions of apps bundled with DarWINE to Mac people?
The fact that Mac people (most of them anyway) won't settle for that.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
Potentially nothing other than:

1. People may not buy it because it may not be reliable enough.
2. It would rely on a relatively new and untested third party product to work.
3. It won't do the company any PR favours at all if they e.g. dropped their Mac version in favour of a WINE supported version.
4. Mac users want Mac apps, and if there is a competitor that doesn't run in WINE and is instead native, then that native app will win out.

However, there are already companies that use X11 as a means of shipping their small user base products (e.g. MATLAB) to Mac users. If it means that some esoteric or small user base apps that would otherwise be completely uneconomical to port to the Mac can now be used by Mac users, then companies could use this as a means of providing that product to the few Mac users that need it. Not ideal but without this, those Mac users would never have seen the app on their platform anyway.

If the ability to use Win software on a Mac is possible it could help to increase Mac market share dramatically. If market share increases enough for those companies to now produce economically viable ports of their software, then it will happen.

It would also allow PC users to move to the Mac without a massive financial hit as they could continue to use their Windows software until that time when they could also afford to upgrade to e.g. the new Mac version.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 04:50 PM

I using a G5 2.3 and I'm having trouble launching any apps other than the sample apps included with Darwine. What am I doing wrong?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
I using a G5 2.3 and I'm having trouble launching any apps other than the sample apps included with Darwine. What am I doing wrong?
Did you fix qemu?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2006, 06:49 PM

Notice the thread title: Darwine for Intel...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 08:11 PM

The reason why DarWine has become really interesting just lately is due to the Intel Mac's, in theory we should be able to run Windows apps at full speed (as fast as an equivalent PC) as there is no longer any need to emulate the CPU. You would be better running a full emulator (VPC, or some form of Bochs) to use Windows apps on a PPC Mac.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 12:03 PM

I'm struck by just how BAD these apps look. Especially running side by side with OS X.

WINE has that win98 look and feel that Linux developers seem to strive for. There must be a hack to tweak the widgets at least so the appearance is more mac-like. Better default fonts, etc. Darwine should spin off WUMP, the Windows Uglyness Mitigation Progect.

You can bet we'll hear a new variation on the "Apple sucks becuase Linux apps look so bad in X11" complaint.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2006, 03:12 PM

I personally can't wait till they start working on getting WINE libraries running against Quartz and Aqua directly, instead of relying on X11. That will be worth getting really excited about.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Smush
Feb 12, 2006, 08:16 PM

I keep getting the error.

2006-02-13 00:14:45.008 WineHelper[3511] *** NSTask: Task create for path /Applications/Darwine/Sample WineLib Applications/notepad.exe failed: 85, "Bad executable (or shared library)".

It happens with all of the apps i try to launch, any ideas?

bloodline
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 09:40 AM

I have been testing an old version of Darwine (intel) for a week or so and found that it can run a few simple apps... sadly it wouldn't install VMware... kept saying that VMware needs Windows NT/2k/XP... I don't know how to spoof Darwine to pretend to be XP :-/

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 13, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin
I'm struck by just how BAD these apps look.
I'm not...it's right in tune with what I expected.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 03:55 PM

RE: bad lookign apps - WINE (on linux at least) allows skins. So maybe soon we can mae a nice OS X skin - make WINE blend in a bit more.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2006, 05:32 PM

They look just like they would on a Windows machine. Isn't that the point?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
RE: bad lookign apps - WINE (on linux at least) allows skins. So maybe soon we can mae a nice OS X skin - make WINE blend in a bit more.
There is a 'Theme' option under the Appearance tab in the Wine Configuration application. Couldn't find any themes available though, Doing a Google search for 'Wine Themes' is useless you just get a load of Windows themes and random WIne (the drinking kind) sites.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2006, 07:39 PM

According to WINE's site, it uses Windows themes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mrplow
Feb 14, 2006, 12:40 PM

2006-02-14 11:37:18.047 WineHelper[875] *** NSTask: Task create for path /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle failed: 13, "Permission denied".

can anyone help me make Darwine work on my core duo imac?

Forum Links
Forum Rules