Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to change name of home folder?

how to change name of home folder?
malcolm
Mar 25, 2005, 05:52 PM

Hi there,
I just gave my Titanium to my wife. I changed my name to hers in System Preferences/Accounts, but the 'Short Name' field is greyed out and I can't change it to her name. Consequently, in Finder, the home folder still has my name on it.
How can I change this?
I did simply double-click on this home folder, and re-name it in Finder, but this messed things up when I re-started.
Why can't I change it in System Preferences/Accounts?
Thanks for any help,
Malcolm

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2005, 05:57 PM

It would be much simpler to create your wife a new account with her name, drop all your file into her drop box. Switch, move the files back to the correct place and delete your old account.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

malcolm  (op)
Mar 25, 2005, 06:49 PM

I'm sure you're right, juanvaldez. But now that I've created this new account, is there a way to change the Short Name? Everything else about it is fine.
Thanks,
Malcolm

Sydney Tsai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 10:32 PM

offically, apple don't like you to rename the short user name once it's done, but there are some tools let you do that...

Try get some on macupdate.com
sydtsai

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2005, 12:47 AM

maybe a stupid question but why didn't you pick a shortname you liked when you created the account?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

malcolm  (op)
Mar 26, 2005, 09:11 AM

When I got the Ti, I created my own account, with my shortname.
Then when I was transferring the computer to her, I did in fact at first try creating a new account for her - - but it had none of the preferences (and there are a lot, including ditching the apple dock and replacing it with DragThing) that make the Ti a joy to use. So I deleted that new account, and opted to simply change the name of my account (my name to her name), and thereby keep all the settings.
As described, it worked fine, except I can't change the shortname.
Someone suggested there's some third-party software to do this. Do you have a name for this software?
Thanks,
Malcolm

P.S. juanvaldes: if there were an obvious way to create a new account and somehow import all of my preferences and startup items and everything, that would have been a better idea I'm sure. But I didn't see how to do this.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 09:28 AM

ChangeShortName, oddly enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules