Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > still no hierarchical folders in iTunes?

still no hierarchical folders in iTunes?
malcolm
Apr 25, 2005, 01:05 PM

Hi,
From what I can see, there are still no hierarchical folders in iTunes. What gives? I abandoned iPhoto (and went to iView Media) because it didn't have subfolders. I would abandon iTunes too, if there were a good alternative.
Why can't Apple add this feature!? It seems so obvious.
Am I missing something - - would this be on everyone's wish-list? How else do you properly organize thousands of songs?
Malcolm

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:08 PM

I search for my songs - I don't want to drill down a ton of folders.

Have you submitted feedback?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:16 PM

I used to love folders in SoundJam, but now I don't see the point?

Why would you want folders? What do folders allow you to do that you can't do right now (with playlists, partyshuffly, and filtering)?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:35 PM

i'd like to see sub-folders as well...
just to group things (like full cds, etc)

essential? maybe not.
but useful...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
How else do you properly organize thousands of songs?
What the flock are you talking about? Folders in iTunes, what the heck for? Make a playlist, use the browse function, type a search query... I don't have the faintest idea why you want folders or how you would use them, care to elaborate?

And to answer your question, you don't have to properly organize thousands of songs, iTunes does it for you - it's the Mac way.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 01:46 PM

I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of subfolders for iTunes. It's just another form of organizational flexibility that some might find handy. Oh and to the OP, iPhoto has folders now...

malcolm  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. Frankly, though, I'm having just as much trouble understanding how some of you work without subfolders as you're having figuring out why I think I'd find them useful.
I'll try to explain - - I use music for tv items; I have maybe 150 different 'playlists' from the last five tv seasons. I'd like five folders, one for each of the last five seasons, and each containing the playlists from that year. That makes sense, doesn't it?
Cheers,
Malcolm

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2005, 03:41 PM

When you say "subfolder," do you basically mean "subplaylist" or are you talking about the actual organization on the drive?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

malcolm  (op)
Apr 25, 2005, 04:02 PM

Hi Chuckit - I guess I mean 'subplaylist'.
What I'd like in the iTunes column on the left, under the default 'Library' and 'Music Store' playlists, are folders (or playlists if you want to call them that) that 'contain' multiple playlists - - I would name them 2003, 2004, 2005, etc.
When opened each playlist/container would reveal the playlist for the stories I did in that particular year.
Even if this is clearer now, I still have the feeling that no one else would want to do it this way. Other people want to browse and search... which I can't quite picture.
Cheers,
Malcolm

siMac
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Hi Chuckit - I guess I mean 'subplaylist'.
Aaaaaahhhhhh, folders for playlists. You're right, that could be handy - I thought you were talking about the organization of the music on the disk.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Forum Links
Forum Rules