Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > can Bluetooth mouse buttons be re-configured?

can Bluetooth mouse buttons be re-configured?
malcolm
May 17, 2005, 12:26 PM

Hi all,
On my wired mouse (Kensington StudioMouse) I long ago reconfigured the right button to be the standard 'Click', and the left button to Double-Click. I used MouseWorks to do this, but I think I could have done the same thing with USB Overdrive.
Now I have a Bluetooth mouse (Kensington PilotMouse Bluetooth Mini) - - and I'd like to reconfigure the buttons in the same way.
Unfortunately, MouseWorks doesn't work with Bluetooth mice. I tried USB Overdrive, and it doesn't seem to work either.
Is there another way for me to reconfigure the buttons on a bluetooth mouse?
Thanks for any ideas,
Malcolm

malcolm  (op)
May 17, 2005, 08:36 PM

I should add that Kensington has said it plans, at some point, to update MouseWorks to include other mice. But this might be a year away.
In the meantime, I've e-mailed USB Overdrive to ask whether it can somehow be made to work with this Bluetooth mouse - - and I haven't received a reply.
Is there other software out there that might work?
Does no one else use a Bluetooth mouse, who also wants to reconfigure the buttons?
M.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 12:04 PM

The issue isn't that MouseWorks doesn't work with bluetooth mice in general. Instead, the issue is that MouseWorks doesn't work for the Kensington PilotMouse Bluetooth Mini in particular. I have the Kensington PilotMouse Bluetooth and MouseWorks works just fine with that mouse. It also works with the Kensington PocketMouse Bluetooth.

Here's the deal. The mouse you have was never intended to be configurable. It is designed as a "basic" bluetooth mouse that can be utilized with the built-in drivers of the OS .... be that OS X or Windows XP. If you want configurability you will need to ditch that mouse and get yourself one of the other two that I mentioned.

OAW

malcolm  (op)
May 18, 2005, 12:43 PM

Thank you OAW - - It's not what I hoped to hear, but it's good to know. I'll contact Kensington, and unless they tell me the Mini can be made to work with a future release of MouseWorks, I'll take your suggestion and upgrade my mouse.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Forum Links
Forum Rules