Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" iBook G4 constant kernel panics

12" iBook G4 constant kernel panics
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 12:43 PM

Hi there!

Here's the thing: This morning, seemingly for no reason whatsoever, my 17 month old iBook G4 started having kernel panics repeadedly. I can turn it on an within one to three minutes it gets a kernel panic.

The iBook sometimes can't boot up before getting a kernel panic, but sometimes it manages all the way through to the desktop and then gets a kernel panic.

I've never upgraded this machine, it was bought new from Apple. I don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden.

Bottom line being, if I start the iBook and boot OS X, the machine kernel panics 10 to 300 seconds later, seemingly at random.

Any ideas?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cold Warrior
Feb 4, 2007, 12:56 PM

Maybe bad RAM.

Boot from the hardware diagnostics disc that came with it - it may be able to identify the precise hardware failure.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 11:14 PM

I haven't been able to locate the damn hardware test CD yet. I'm sure it around here somewhere.

I removed the 512 MB RAM chip from the iBook, leaving the soldered 512 MBs left.

Still crashes like crazy. If it is the RAM, then it is the built-in RAM, I guess. Would that mean I need a new motherboard?

V

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 08:23 PM

Oh and does anyone have an idea how much a new motherboard would cost? Is it cheaper to get a new Mac?

V

David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2007, 08:10 PM

My iBook just started having the same issue a few days ago. I was able to back up everything through taget disk mode(its the only time it didnt have a panic). I have however upgraded the hard drive. It was professionally done, but maybe thats the issue. I just took it into the campus apple store this morning to see if they can figure out the problem. Ill let you know what they tell me.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 02:37 PM

If you can, backup everything.
Find your Apple Hardware Test disk and run it. maybe it's not your RAM...
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2007, 06:52 PM

I just got mine back and it turned out to be the logic board. They said it needs to be replaced, and they also said that it was been a problem on the ibooks. Mine was the 1.33 ghz with 1 gb of ram. they said it would be $500 to fix so i think im now in the market for a new computer. Hope your problem has a better solution.

- David

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 08:01 PM

Well, for $300 more than repair costs, you can get a refurb MacBook 1.83 (1st gen) from Apple. At least until they sell out again...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2007, 01:27 PM

A lot of iBook G4s seem to be dying recently, they're all over eBay, I'm glad I got rid of mine last year. If this problem continues though, there may be a recall.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2007, 10:11 PM

Uh-oh. I have an iBook G4. Should I be worried?

David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 11:15 PM

Im looking at putting mine up on ebay. Should i hold onto it in hopes of a recall? What are the chances that they could get recalled and if they do what would happen?

- David

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2007, 05:54 AM

Don't hold onto hopes of a recall, I'm purely speculating. If you were going to put it up on eBay then just do that.

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:47 AM

I had my own priblem with my refurb ibook, i personally think it was the hard drive, considering 3 logic board replacements didnt fix it, but after the third logic board and first replacement of the hard drive, it was fine.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

Forum Links
Forum Rules