Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Griffin Powermate

Griffin Powermate
Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 12:48 AM

I have a Griffin Powermate (ridiculous USB volume knob) and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it only affect iTunes, and let it leave iTunes in the background. I'm going to attack the problem with applescript this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a simple solution, or had some pointers on what I should do with the applescript. I know that the operating system treats it like a mouse that can only move horizontally if you don't install the software, so I figure once I can identify how the OS identifies it, I can use applescript to reroute the commands. Anyway, if you can think of a better way, or have done something similar yourself, let me know.
--

xtal
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 10:18 AM

I read about this on another thread. You can probably find it by searching for Powermate and iTunes.

The person said that they installed PTHiTunesNotifier which is a menubar-based iTunes controller. The important point is that you can define hotkeys for each of the major iTunes functions (volume, track, etc.). The hotkeys would 'punch through' regardless of the application running. They then customized the Powermate to those hotkeys and voila, iTunes control from anywhere.

Just a question, why don't you use the system volume keys (F3,4,5)?

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Burn
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 10:55 AM

The reason why he doesn't use the Volume/Keyboard keys is because that adjusts the System Volume - not iTunes only which is what he's looking for (and what that pthiTunes app does)

When you use the keyboard keys all of a sudden your system alerts are as loud as the music!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2003, 11:17 AM

i have my alerts only half way up so if i hear anything with music it isn't that loud.

yeah def what you want is the PHT itunes thingy, i have been using it since 1.3 and it has treated me well. i have it display the song infor on the bottom of the screen for a few sec each time a new song come on. really handy. i also have my F1-F6 keys fucntion as itunes controler.

Now all i need is a powermate. helli might just pick one up today, who knows?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2003, 03:52 PM

bastards, i checked the Uni's store online and they said they had them in stock, i walked over and guess what, they don't. I still ordered one and it should be here by wed next week, so i will have to wait.

But i got to see the 12" powerbook, damn that thing is tight, and hot (litterly) oh well.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Meneldil  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 06:54 AM

Thanks- this looks like it'll work much easier than my solution. Yeah, I want the iTunes volume controlled seperately so I can change the music volume without altering the alerts, Adium sounds, etc.
--

Forum Links
Forum Rules