Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Disk utility sees windows drive, but can't get data off it

Disk utility sees windows drive, but can't get data off it
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 11:05 PM

Hey guys,
I pulled a 10gig drive from an older Dell running Win2000 Pro that wouldn't start up and put it in my B&W G3. Under Disk Utility, I can see "9.54 GB Maxtor" but there are no volums listed under it. I ran the demo of Data Rescue II and it found all 4.4 gigs of data. The problem is that I am a dead broke college student and I can't afford to buy a disk repair utility. My friend has a copy of diskwarrior for os 9, but it couldn't find the drive at all. This is my GF's drive and it's got several hundred dollars of iTunes music on it, I CAN'T lose it! Can anyone make any suggestions?

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 11:12 PM

I thought I'd mention the G3 it's in currently has 10.2.8 on it because I can't afford a new OS...but I do have a 1.33 G4 iBook with 10.3.9 if anything from that can help. I've also got an external Firewire enclosure. When I put the drive in there and plugged it in, i got an error saying the device couldn't be recognized.
( Last edited by lothar56; Oct 9, 2005 at 11:18 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 12:23 AM

You can't use Macintosh repair tools to repair a PC formatted drive, so you're not going to be recovering it with your Mac anyway.

Sorry dude.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2005, 12:43 AM

You have to recover the data on a windows machine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

DrBoar
Senior User
Oct 10, 2005, 03:18 AM

If you are lucky it is only the Win OS that is screwed up not the file system.

Prior to Tiger the mac (finder) would only cope with FAT32 mot NTFS.
So the disk tool does find a valid hard disk, but with a unknown (NTFS) partition on it
The finder does not find the disk as it is NTFS.

Try to find someone with Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4). An other option is a to borrow or buy an external USB case for 3.5" drives (remember to move the IDE jumpers from Cable select to Master on the drive) and connect it to a PC or 10.4 Mac.

Then copy all the important files to that computer, reformat the external disk to FAT32 and move the files back

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2005, 03:38 AM

Tiger can read NTFS, but it won't easily write to it. As others have said, use a PC to fix a PC disk.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2005, 04:01 PM

I threw it into my external firewire enclosure and hooked it up to my iBook one more time for the heck of it, and it friggin MOUNTED! So I got all of the files off it, no problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules