Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Living With: Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook

Living With: Apple's 12-inch Retina MacBook
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 6, 2015, 02:33 PM

The 12-inch Retina MacBook received a lot of attention when it was launched, but perhaps not all for the right reasons. In particular, much of the coverage focused on its single USB Type-C port, which perhaps makes it impractical for some, if not many users. Other complaints at the time were that it is underpowered, relying on Intel's somewhat underwhelming Core M processor. Still others moaned about its all-new keyboard, with short key stroke travel. Our review of the 12-inch MacBook, however, focused on what made this the near-perfect portable companion for road warriors looking to keep things light, compact, but productive. We've been living with it on a daily basis almost since its April launch -- is it still all we thought it was cracked up to be?

Every now and then, Apple launches a product that either resets all our expectations for an entire product category, or for its own product lines. These are those watershed moments we look back on with a fuller comprehension and appreciation of how these product launches highlighted the forward thinking innovation that typically defines Apple. The 12-inch MacBook launch may not have wowed audiences as much as the launch of its forebear, the MacBook Air, but it definitely reset Apple's design and engineering direction for future MacBooks. It introduced several "firsts" for a MacBook that we can expect to see, and have indeed already started to see, make their way across its MacBook portfolio.

The 12-inch Retina MacBook is Apple's first all-aluminum notebook. Aluminum has, for some time, been Apple's preferred material for making its products, but even its previous groundbreaking unibody designs still incorporated plastic at the base of the display lid to allow for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth signals to flow freely. The 12-inch MacBook drops this for a seamless display lid that is now all-aluminum, with a new antenna design that maintains signal integrity without any design "compromises." The 12-inch MacBook is also the first MacBook to feature a fanless design, thanks largely to the ultra-low voltage Intel Core M processor.

It is also the first Apple ultraportable to feature a Retina display, but also one with unique power-saving technologies that we can expect to see on other MacBooks soon. Its pixel apertures are 30 percent wider, letting through 30 percent more light, leading to a corresponding 30 percent reduction in power consumption at all levels of brightness, compared to previous-generation Retina displays. It is also the thinnest display panel Apple has ever squeezed into a display lid. In addition, it's the first MacBook to feature a terraced battery design that has allowed Apple to make the 12-inch MacBook so thin, while maximizing battery life rated at nine hours. Its motherboard is also the smallest yet from Apple for a Mac.

A further marquee feature is the all-new Force Touch trackpad that graces the device. It is the first MacBook to feature this technology, although it has since quickly spread to both the 13-inch MacBook Pro and, more recently, the 15-inch MacBook Pro. Like several other aspects of the 12-inch MacBook, it is a technology derived from Apple's mobile endeavors -- in this case, the Force Touch trackpad comes from the Force Touch and Taptic Engine tech first seen in the Apple Watch. It was borne out of necessity, in that the 12-inch MacBook chassis is so thin that a traditional 'diving board' trackpad wouldn't fit; but it has led to a whole new dimension of multi-touch interaction with a Mac.

So, as you can see, the new 12-inch MacBook packs a whole lot of innovation into its ultrathin and portable design. A lot of companies like to throw a lot of technology at customers in order to try dazzle them into buying their products. However, it is often the case that much of this is just technology for technology's sake -- it may or may not make the overall experience of using the device better. Apple's products are among the most thoughtfully-designed and engineered you will ever have the pleasure of using.

We have found the 12-inch MacBook is an absolute joy to use. It does take some time to adjust to its shallow throw keyboard, and some people are just not going to be able to make the transition. However, the long travel that we are used to in keyboard design originates not from necessity, but is a legacy of its origins in the long physical keystrokes required by typewriters. The new keyboard on the MacBook features larger keys, and a much more stable design. We have found it an efficient and crisp typing experience, that helps to reduce finger fatigue in long typing sessions.

Its Retina display is simply stunning, and enhances both work and play in a way that is somewhat lacking on the MacBook Air range. That said, the MacBook Air is features more powerful Intel chips than the Core M powering the 12-inch MacBook. However, while the 12-inch MacBook isn't well-suited for those looking to use it as their primary machine, it is just about perfect for its intended use. It handles Office-style productivity with aplomb, and thanks to its 8GB of RAM, it is able to multitask without issue -- even if it is only slightly more powerful than the Apple A8X-powered iPad Air 2.

The single Type-C USB port is a small stumbling block. It would have been nice if Apple was able to include two, as the single port doubles as the charging port as well. Further, at the very least, Apple should have included the USB Type-C to USB adapter ($19) as a standard accessory -- to force users to buy it separately is just miserly, especially at launch, when devices compatible with the port are so few and far between. However, we have recently found the Dual USB Drive with Type-C from SanDisk, that helps eliminate at least one use case for the adapter.

The only other issue that we have encountered with our 12-inch Retina MacBook was a slightly unexpected one, that resulted in a trip to the Apple Genius Bar. For some reason, the rubberized band that is embedded in the lid and is designed to keep the display from touching the keyboard and trackpad failed to do its job. This resulted in the display making contact with the trackpad recess, which then started to leave etch marks in the display the shape of the trackpad. Hopefully, it is an isolated issue affecting our MacBook, but it is definitely worth keeping an eye on if you own one, or intend to purchase one. The good news, though, is that Apple replaced the display without question.

All things considered, the 12-inch Retina MacBook is a great notebook, and is quite possibly the best MacBook that Apple has ever made. It is a notebook that is perhaps slightly ahead of its time, which is why some seem to have misunderstood it. The late Steve Jobs was fond of a quote from ice hockey great Wayne Gretzky, who remarked that what separated him from other players was that he skated to where the puck was going to be, not where it was. That sums up the philosophy behind the new 12-inch MacBook nicely.

-- Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 6, 2015 at 05:50 PM. )

James Katt
Sep 6, 2015, 03:29 PM

I disagree with the Macbook being Apple's best MacBook Apple has ever made.

I did not like several aspects:

1. The keyboard simply was NOT FUN to use with its very shallow key depressions. As a writer, I couldn't stand it. The keys are so flat I have to look where I am pressing - this makes the keyboard non-intuitive. I prefer fuller travel mechanical keys like on the MacBook Air.

2. The MacBook is SLOW. I multitask extensively. I have CrashPlan running in the background taking up 20 to 80% of CPU time. I use numerous background utilities. I use at least 5 apps at a time. The MacBook is NOT designed for multitasking because if its underpowered CPU. The MacBook Air has a much more potent CPU.

3. One USB Type-C Port. This is highly limiting and forces me to carry MORE ADAPTERS AND WEIGHT to maintain usefulness of the MacBook. This adds to the actual weight you lug about.

For these reasons, I choose the MacBook Air. And the MacBook Air has been a blast to use. The Keyboard is fun to use. Totally entertaining. I hardly use my iPad since getting the MacBook Air and using it with my iPhone 6 Plus.

When the MacBook Air gets a retina display I'll upgrade to that.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2015, 04:17 PM

You mention the WiFi antenna now hidden inside an aluminum body. Yes, Apple has a very sophisticate antenna lab, but I still wonder what kind of coverage their various gadgets get.

Any chance you or a sister organization might get access to an less-expensive, outdoor antenna lab with a turntable and make testing coverage a standard part of reviews?

If nothing else, it'd be handy to know which side the coverage is best on.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2015, 04:56 PM

James Katt: you've made a fairly convincing case that that MacBook is not for you, but a very poor case that it's not for anyone else. If Crashplan is continuously taking up 20-80 percent of your processor, that's quite ridiculous and you should switch to something less resource-hungry or disable it temporarily. Your power-user habits would indicate that the MacBook was a poor choice for you from the get-go, so one has to wonder why you didn't do more research on it before buying -- or why you didn't return it a couple of weeks in to get a machine that better suits you.

As a fellow writer who has to work on a variety of machines, I've learned not to be picky about keyboards -- but if you don't enjoy the keyboard, again I have to wonder why you didn't return the machine?

The USB-C thing is, in my opinion, a non-issue. Nearly everyone who has a Retina MacBook will have *nothing at all* in that slot during the day, because they don't need to charge it (the battery life on it is nothing short of astonishing), and they don't need to run anything off it apart from possibly dumping pictures from a camera. The MacBook is very clearly designed for the cloud generation that do most of their work wirelessly or through cloud services, not for people who need to have lots of "stuff" wired to it when they are not at home. So again, this seems to me like you simply made a bad choice in picking a machine not well suited to your needs.

I say this as another person who, like yourself, this MacBook would not be quite right for: I run programs that need more processing and graphic "oomph" than the 12-inch Retina provides, and I need more storage capability than is available, envious though I am of the weight and look of it. But of course I'm not the target demographic either; most people (generally speaking) use personal computers for chatting, Facebook, surfing, light gaming, photos, and other low-demand uses: for them (and my own wife would be a good example of someone who would love a Retina MacBoook), this machine is nearly perfect. It's all about assessing your own needs and picking the model that's right for you -- precisely why Apple makes other notebooks.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mojkarma
Sep 6, 2015, 05:49 PM

I couldn't agree more with James Katt.

I tried the Macbook in an Apple store and the keyboard was for me simply awful. Absolutely bad and I don't want to write on that anything exceeding two sentences.

Besides that, the price strategy here is absolutely ridiculous. Any macbook air version, be it the 11 or the 13 inch version is cheaper than the macbook. So, what's the point and motivation to buy this macbook at all?
There is more ram in the macbook, compared to the air, but everything else is on the side of the air.

prl99
Senior User
Sep 6, 2015, 06:32 PM

I find it funny that people are complaining about the new keyboard. I started on a manual typewriter, then a Linotype hot metal machine, a Mergenthaler keyboard attached to a CRT (circa late 70's), then an assortment of thick key keyboards from a variety of manufacturers including Apple, then the aluminum keyboard with shorter keys, a "keyboard" on an iPhone, and now Apple has another keyboard with an even thinner and more accurate keypad on a keyboard. Times change, deal with it. If you are still using the antiquated thick keyboard then you need to learn how to type with less pressure. I had to fix those keyboard because people banged them all day instead of typed on them. Try the keyboard out for awhile and see if your fingers (James and mojkarma, you do use more than two fingers don't you) adapt. They probably will. As for the two of you not liking the latest MacBook, fine, we hear you and your complaints. @James, I've always wondered why some people feel it's necessary to use so many peripherals. What do you feel is absolutely required to connect to?

mr_strat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2015, 11:46 PM

I was just messing with one today at the Apple Store. I could get used to the keyboard in short order. The lack of standard ports would put me off to begin with. But for what it is, the price is way too high.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2015, 12:05 AM

I concur with you, mr_strat, that Apple overpriced the device, but I think they didn't want to cut into their existing MacBook Air business, so it is what it is. As for the port, as I said above its at best a minor issue (and I strongly agree with Sanjiv that Apple could have at least thrown the USB-C-to-USB converter into the package), but in a couple of years it will graduate from being a minor issue to being utterly moot -- the next version of Thunderbolt *is* USB-C and vice versa, with a huge speed boost. Four years from now we'll be scratching our heads about why anyone got their knickers in a twist about this.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Sanjiv Sathiah
Sep 7, 2015, 01:18 AM

@James Katt Firstly, thanks for reading the article and taking the time to comment. I believe I did cover off the areas of your concerns with the 12-inch Retina MacBook as caveats in the article. However, as Chas correctly points out, all you've really done is highlight exactly why the 12-inch MacBook is not for you. I stand by my remarks about it. I have put forward the numerous areas of technical innovation that make the 12-inch MacBook a candidate for one of Apple's best ever notebooks.

As for waiting for a Retina MacBook Air, good luck. The MacBook Air may continue to get some chip upgrades for the next 12-18 months (may be a bit longer; but beyond that, I doubt that it will figure in Apple's medium to long term plans for the MacBook range. For all intents and purposes, the new 12-inch MacBook is the latest generation of "MacBook Air." The least Apple can do in the meantime, however, is introduce IPS LCD panels to the Air, instead of the woefully outdated TN panel that it continues to ship it with.

The way I see it, Apple has placed the 12-inch MacBook above the current MacBook Air line up, due in large part to the extra cost of the Retina display component. However, it offset this somewhat, by including 256GB of flash storage in the base model and 512GBs in the higher end model.

The MacBook Air line continues only by virtue of its price point and the fact that it has some additional processing performance (for the time being) and additional (legacy) ports. This will change in due course and it will work its way out of Apple's portfolio (in my view).
Electronista Staff

mojkarma
Sep 7, 2015, 04:59 AM

@prl99
I learned how to type with ten fingers without looking on the keyboard in the high scool. And I learned it on an old typewriter. And still, I absolutely dislike this so called keyboard on the macbook. No, I won't adapt to it and frankly, I don't really care about how many keyboards you have tried in the past. I also use an iphone, an ipad without any physical keyboard and it's perfectly fine for writing a short message or an email. But for an article or a book I prefer the keyboard on my macbook air. Put simply, I want to have a better feedback than what the macbook gives me. Besides that, we are not living in a perfect world, we don't always have perfect wireles conditions where one usb port would be enough, we don't have wireless printers which work perfectly with osx and so on and so on. The macbook was always a cheaper line of Apple notebooks compared to the proline while actually the air seemed to be directed to be the ultraportable version. Now, suddenly Apple changed the whole philosophy where the macbook is more like a netbook, but price wise positioned somewhere in the middle between the pro line and the air. And the only thing that comes into my mind regarding the present macbook are Steve Jobs words about netbooks: they are actually not good at anything. And that perfectly describes the macbook, especially considering the price.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Sep 7, 2015, 06:46 AM

@mojkarma I know some people have derided the new 12-inch MacBook as being nothing more than a glorified netbook. However, this analogy is flawed on several levels. Netbooks are/were truly crappy machines. They typically had 10.1inch TN low-res panels, cramped keyboards, and grossly underpowered Intel Atom chips. They were also cheaply built.

The Intel Core M may be less powerful than the 4th-gen Core i5 chips in the MacBook Air, but it is not that far off the pace performance-wise. Further, it absolutely smokes current-gen Intel Atom chips performance-wise as well. Its keyboard (love it or loathe it -- put me in the former category) is a full-size keyboard with 33 percent larger keys than on the MacBook Air, and with precision backlighting. Its system architecture is also completely state-of-the-art, with just about the fastest I/O throughout. Its Retina display is absolutely first class, its speakers are also top notch. Its design, build quality and overall level of technical innovation justifies the price premium -- although, like anybody, I'd be quite happy if Apple dropped its asking price. At the same time, demand outstripped supply for quote some time after launch, so clearly a lot of other customers believe it is worth the premium as well.

To suggest that it is not good at anything is plainly a gross exaggeration. It is just about perfect for its intended purpose. It is not designed as primary computer for most people, but as secondary device for users looking to get Office-style productivity done on the go.

If it does not meet your requirements, it is simply not the machine for you. Apple will gladly sell you a MacBook Air, but given that you sound like a power user, a 13-inch or 15-inch MacBook Pro might be just what you need.

The trade-off will be substantially more weight and bulk, but you will get everything it seems you want from a notebook. Your call.
( Last edited by Sanjiv Sathiah; Sep 7, 2015 at 07:46 AM. )
Electronista Staff

Geordiekeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2015, 08:57 AM

As a technical writer (medical writer) I have to agree about the comments on the keyboard - I find it awful, and for my purposes means the machine is totally unsuitable. The other issue of the single C-port is also a killer for those of us who want a light machine to travel with and use to give presentations. I give all-day workshops, and need to have the computer plugged in for power, and to a projector, and have a remote slide changer/pointer. I already have to use an adaptor to use my MacBook Pro as industry offices are still heavily Windows-based, but at least a standard USB remote works. With this machine it would mean investment in more dongles, or more investment in a Bluetooth version.
I was eagerly awaiting the release, as I still miss my 12" Powerbook, but opted for the MacBook Pro as soon I tried both machines in the Applestore. Size-wise it is ideal, but it could have been a few millimeters thicker to accommodate a decent keyboard and an extra port or two.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 7, 2015, 10:34 AM

The MacBook isn't for me, nor, I suspect, for most of our readers. However, as a reminder, iOS devices outsell OS X devices by 20:1. Apple is first and foremost a mobile company now.

The MacBook is a mobile user's gateway to OS X machine, and it is selling very, very well.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Sep 7, 2015, 07:55 PM

...As a primary computer, Mike, I totally agree. But if budgets can extend to it, it is a great second Mac for many people.

My main machine is a mid-spec 27-inch Retina iMac. I use the 12-inch MacBook when I am on the go and it is great for getting what I need to get done when I am away from home. It is also awesome for general entertainment.

As for those readers who have tried the keyboard in store and hated it, it does take getting used to. But don't forget, buy it directly through Apple online or through an Apple retail store, you can get a much better feel for it over a couple of weeks. If you still can't make friends with it, take it back for full refund.
( Last edited by Sanjiv Sathiah; Sep 8, 2015 at 01:15 AM. )
Electronista Staff

Stevehva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2015, 10:52 PM

Apparently, I'm the outlier here. I love the new MacBook (500GB). Everything about it, including the keyboard. I'm an executive, not a writer, but I do spend six to either hours on the MacBook utilizing normal office-type applications. The battery life is amazing, in fact I unplug the MacBook at home, slip it into my briefcase and don't even bother to bring a charger. I've never had a problem. I love the keyboard. True, I'm not a typist, or an author (someone please explain the meaningful difference to me), but I find the keyboard refreshingly precise and forgiving at the same time. I also use dictation quite a bit when I'm not on the phone or in a meeting. This is the fastest Mac computer I've ever used. In fact. I find myself using the MacBook rather than my iPad Air more and more due to the quick launch time of safari (which I use for research and SalesForce - I used FaceBook once to find an old classmate and I never use Twitter), Mail, as well as Calendar (constantly), Pages, Keynote and Numbers (or their MS equivalents when I must) - apps I often used my iPad for due to the slowness of my iMac.

The single port is an advantage since to helped to reduce the thickness and weight of the MacBook. Although I have ordered a hub, I have yet to find a need for it. Instead all my files are available either via iCloud or Evernote, Presentations are done wirelessly via an AppleTV in the conference room and I can distribute information at a meeting via AirDrop or posting it to a common drive.
No, the new MacBook isn't for everyone, but I've owned a dozen Macs since 1986 and this machine is the best I have ever had the pleasure of owning and using on a regular basis. Congratulations to the engineers at Apple for designing a truly magnificent machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules