Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Review: iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, part two

Review: iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, part two
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 23, 2015, 08:53 AM

In the previous part of this comprehensive review of the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, we took a look at the two devices' design and build quality, the stunning new 3D Touch display technology, the complementing Taptic Engine, and overall performance compared to the previous year's models. In this second part, we'll cover the new second-generation Touch ID, the battery life of the devices, the connectivity, and take a look at the built-in apps and of course the lifeblood of the entire product, iOS 9. We'll start off today with one of the iPhone's signature features: its incredible, envelope-pushing cameras.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 23, 2015, 10:26 AM

These really do sound awesome, I just wish Apple made them in a more reasonable size.
I'd get a 5s, but I fear the technology has moved on enough at this point, that I'd be buying a fairly obsolete device from the get-go. I'd especially be concerned about 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB, but I suppose 1GB devices *should* have another year or two in them.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2015, 11:16 AM

As the owner of a 5s, RAM has never been an issue with my use of them. Still great phones that are head and shoulders above most of the competition.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Sanjiv Sathiah
Oct 25, 2015, 02:14 AM

The iPhone 6s models are fitted with 2GB of RAM, which is double the RAM fitted to the iPhone 6 -- so, they are relatively well future-proofed from that perspective.
Electronista Staff

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 26, 2015, 04:41 PM

@Charles - my fear is that my iPad 2 was just fine, too, until iOS 8 came along. Since the whole line seems to be moving to 2GB, I'm wondering how long it will be before iOS doesn't work well on 1GB devices. (Note: Apple was still selling the 512MB iPad mini after iOS 8 was released.) I guess the 5s should be fine until at least iOS 10, but after that, who knows?

If the iPhone 5s were really cheap now, I'd probably just go for that and figure it won't last too long... but it's actually still pretty expensive. I guess I should re-run the numbers one of these days for on-contract, but I prefer to just buy unlocked outright.
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Oct 26, 2015, 04:43 PM

And, I'd really like the hardware of the 6s, I just don't like the size. As I've stated in other comment threads, I'd be happy to pay the exact same amount for a 5s sized 6s as the current bigger model. I just want that option.
------
Steve Wilkinson
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules