Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will this work: VideoBus II for audio input in OS X?

Will this work: VideoBus II for audio input in OS X?
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 10:58 PM

I just got an electric guitar and the whole not-having-an-audio-input on the iBook. finally got me. I already have a Videobus II that I got a while back and used under OS 9 just fine, but I'd like to import directly into Garageband. I know there are shareware apps that demand money for the video part but I wondered if there was some way to get just the Audio in from the Videobus! It's got stereo inputs and I've got the adaptors to go from RCA-1/4 Jack, so the only problem lies in software support. I'd like something free because if I'm going to spend any money I might as well pick up and iMic. Any thoughts?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 11:59 AM

Have you tried just hooking it up?

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2005, 12:05 AM

Well and tried that and got an interesting result. I had previously installed the demo of USBVision X to utilize the VideoBus in OS X. I had since deleted the program because it demanded $20 to remove its logo from the video screen and not quit after 10 minutes, but the files in the Library folder remained. When I plugged in the VideoBus, the computer recognized it as an audio input source though those USBVision drivers that were there. But there were no options as to what to do with the signal that it was definitely getting. I opened up GarageBand and tried adding a new live instrument but the only input option i was given was the internal Mic, even though in the Sound control panel I could choose between the two of them. Any ideas?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 05:42 AM

Does it show up in Audio/MIDI Configuration (in Applications/Utilities)?

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2005, 09:35 AM

Hey yeah that worked! Thanks so much!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 08:03 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules