Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Beige G3: See OS 9 startup screen, then white rectangle

Beige G3: See OS 9 startup screen, then white rectangle
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

It's a G3 Desktop with a 400 MHz G4 ZIF. I've been taking it apart and putting different versions of Linux and stuff as of late, and it's worked perfectly up until now. I took the A/V personality card out of another one of my Beige G3's along with the 4MB VRAM chip and installed them in this desktop. It booted into Ubuntu but was _very_ laggy. I tried booting into OS 9.2.1, but after one extension loaded, a blank white rectangle showed up on the screen. I took the RAM out and put the old sound card back in, I've tried reseting the motherboard and zapping the PRAM, but neither of those helped. I also unhooked both hard drvies and tried starting up from the CD, but the exact same thing happened. Also I've noted since re-installing the old sound card, I no longer hear the startup tone, even though it begins startup like normal. What else can I do?
( Last edited by lothar56; Nov 21, 2005 at 01:37 AM. )

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005, 12:47 PM

I also tried starting up without extensions, it just froze at the same point without showing the rectangle. Help?

Forum Links
Forum Rules