Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Invisible item in extensions folder - 10929832

Invisible item in extensions folder - 10929832
Cipher13
Aug 1, 2000, 07:10 AM

I really don't like having invisible items on my comp, especially when I don't know what they are, and if I didn't know they were there.
Whats worse is when they are in an area like the Extensions folder.
I just found a file called "10929832" (without quotes), and I don't like that. Type and Creator are both "????". It was invisible and locked.
It is a "document" and weighs in at 12 bytes.
It was created on the 20th of July. I don't remember installing anything then (though I may well have).
Anyone else seen this file before, or anything similar?
I know it may be a file that a demo app put there to see if I'd been using it and for how long, but because of my paranoid nature, I can't assume that...
Anyone got any ideas?

Cipher13

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2000, 08:20 AM

???? is a MacOS creator as far as i know... look at the 'empty temp folder' freeware, there is ALWAYS a ???? file there and it had better be there!

see for yourself... HERE i am

this puppy is ever-present and it must be:
TempRes(number here) Unknown(????) 1k In Use

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 08-01-2000).]

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2000, 01:41 PM

I don't think ???? really means anything besides that the Finder can't find anything to assign to the file as far as creator and file-type is concerned. Personally, I go through all the invisible files on my machine once every other month or so, and delete all the ones that are not named "icon" or "desktop *" or "open folder list" or something that sounds essential...thus far, I haven't had any problems...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Cipher13  (op)
Aug 2, 2000, 03:41 AM

I haven't as yet deleted the tempres files, as they seem important...
Will try tonight just to see what happens.
The link for empty temp folder is broken, so I'll check Hotline or download.com or somewhere for it (thanks for the reference :-)).
I thought ???? just meant miscellaneous too... I think we are all right in that ???? is a MacOS file type, given to anything it doesn't revognise - i just checked a PC document and that was ????, so maybe MacOS dubs anything it isn't sure of that.

Cipher13

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2000, 04:24 AM

no it is not broken i just tried it

works fine, empty temp folder link is fine

Cipher13  (op)
Aug 3, 2000, 04:09 AM

Ok works now. Didn't when I tried before. Must be my server - they've had a couple of probs lately, due to restructuring everything.
Thats strange it was just that one URL though. Maybe they were down for a couple hrs...

Cipher13

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2000, 04:18 AM

nope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules