Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got powerbook-am amazed!!!

Just got powerbook-am amazed!!!
ClownNinja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 05:52 PM

I just got my powerbook 15 minutes ago. It is an 867 with 512 ram and an airport card. It is also my first apple computer. Right now I am amazed with it. I am sitting downstairs in my chair and am connected to the net. The powerbook saw my wireless network immediately and set up my internet connection with no delays whatsoever. I have not even been upstairs to go near my speedstream router. If this was a PC laptop it would have taken me hours to configure the internet connection. Now I understand why apple has such dedicated fans. The powerbook is also beautiful and the keyboard is very easy to type on, much unlike my dell laptop. VERY exited to get my computer!!!!! Now to try the connection in my room.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by ClownNinja:
I just got my powerbook 15 minutes ago. It is an 867 with 512 ram and an airport card. It is also my first apple computer. Right now I am amazed with it. I am sitting downstairs in my chair and am connected to the net. The powerbook saw my wireless network immediately and set up my internet connection with no delays whatsoever. I have not even been upstairs to go near my speedstream router. If this was a PC laptop it would have taken me hours to configure the internet connection. Now I understand why apple has such dedicated fans. The powerbook is also beautiful and the keyboard is very easy to type on, much unlike my dell laptop. VERY exited to get my computer!!!!! Now to try the connection in my room.
Congrats.

Hmmmm... It sounds like you have no WEP active. Tsk! Tsk!

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2002, 06:35 PM

hehe yes u are experiencing the joys of macdom.. keep us updated!

l�k
iron sharpens iron

cambro
Senior User
Nov 18, 2002, 07:42 PM

Cool! I'm glad you like your machine. Just wait untill you actually start to DO things on it...Jaguar rocks and it's only gets better for you from here. I promise!

ClownNinja  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 07:54 PM

Tested out the DVD player; just lovely

the screen is beautiful

OS X is beautiful(much better than windows 98)

hasnt crashed yet(really much better than windows 98)

Does this computer have a built in microphone? What program would I use to record sound? I want to record my teachers lectures tomorrow.

btw, anyone know how to make accent marks in that text editor program? Im trying to write a paper for spanish class.

pbarton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 08:19 PM

Yes, you have a built-in microphone. Try a search at:

VersionTracker

for several programs that will let you record sound.

As far as the accented characters in TextEdit, you should turn on the system wide "Character Palette". Go to System Preferences and open the "International" preference pane. Choose the "Input Menu" tab and check the box next to "Character Palette". You will now see a new item in your menu bar next to the "Help" menu. Choose "Show Character Palette" from this menu and then choose "Accented Latin" from the list on the left. Then, simply double click on the character that you wish to insert.

Welcome Aboard!

Karim
Senior User
Nov 18, 2002, 08:20 PM

Don't you miss having to deal with corrupted or missing .DLL's or downloading drivers with names like ms8238234xx.dll.. Or, the blue screen of death, or "There has been a registry error" or "While performing the requested action error #0x848394 was encoutered." or "you have 4 more launches of Windows before you must register your computer after which if you do not register you will no longer be able to use your computer..."

Yes, it's nice to be the king.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2002, 08:22 PM

As far as the accent thing goes, check out "International" under System Preferences. Under the "Input Menu" tab, select Character Palette.

You should find what you need there.

As far as the mic thing goes, as far as I know there isn't one.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

ClownNinja  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. The Operating system is beautiful and I was fed up with the crashes in windows(7 times in one hour once). A friend recommended an apple and I was in the market for a new laptop anyway. I am quite satisfied with the computer so far.

azark
Nov 18, 2002, 08:34 PM

There's a microphone in one of the speakers, left one I think.

Congrats, welcome to the mac tribe ;-)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2002, 08:40 PM

You can also access the character pallete from the font panel. It is in the extras popup menu. Also, you can use the keyboard shortcuts for accents. For example, � is done by Option-E-E. � is Option-N-N.
Vandelay Industries

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 08:48 PM

OS X is a whole lot better than Windows 98! This must be a big change for you, the computer working properly and all.

I just ordered a new Powerbook, which will replace my old, last generation one. Its kind of old at this point (its a Pismo 500).

khufuu
Nov 19, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by ClownNinja:
Tested out the DVD player; just lovely

the screen is beautiful

OS X is beautiful(much better than windows 98)

hasnt crashed yet(really much better than windows 98)

Does this computer have a built in microphone? What program would I use to record sound? I want to record my teachers lectures tomorrow.

btw, anyone know how to make accent marks in that text editor program? Im trying to write a paper for spanish class.
Just change your font to Lucidia Grande and then use keycaps to show you the key strokes to get the accents that you need. That's how i've been doing y Spanish notes...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 02:54 AM

Holding down "option" with an "e" will toggle accent mark mode. Once you've hit that key combination, the next letter you type will be topped with an accent mark. The same thing works with the "�" character and "option" with "n." Holding down "option" and "shift" while pressing the "?" key will give you a "�" character.

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 03:07 AM

ClownNinja, great to hear you have seen the light, and a VERY bright light it will come to be. Get to know your mac well, and then go out and sell the hell out of them to your friends. Word of mouth can be a very powerful to those who simply don't know any better.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 04:11 AM

Start experiencing the beauty of the MacOS.

Spanish characters:

option-e (remember espa�ol) first then type:

a, e, i, o, u

you will get:

�, �, �, �, �

This alone will save you hours over the life-time of your computer.

Some other cool symbols:

option-$ = �
option-shift-2 = �
option-shift-8 = � (180�F, as in PowerBook HOT)

Have fun.

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 06:09 AM

lol - on german keyboard layouts we have umlauts like ��� on designated keys as well as the �.

accents are done by first pressing the � key or shift-� for `.

option-e is the � euro symbol. pretty easy.

the ~ is option-n here, too.
Soylent green is people.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by TobyX:
lol - on german keyboard layouts we have umlauts like ��� on designated keys as well as the �.

accents are done by first pressing the � key or shift-� for `.

option-e is the � euro symbol. pretty easy.

the ~ is option-n here, too.
Option-e does not produce � on English keyboard.
Option-u trigers the two dots, then u again to get �
� (option-u, then a)
� (option-o)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
Don't you miss having to deal with corrupted or missing .DLL's or downloading drivers with names like ms8238234xx.dll.. Or, the blue screen of death, or "There has been a registry error" or "While performing the requested action error #0x848394 was encoutered." or "you have 4 more launches of Windows before you must register your computer after which if you do not register you will no longer be able to use your computer..."

Yes, it's nice to be the king.
c'mon. It's not that bad.

I don't recall a .dll issue in 3 or 4 years... and I've never seen the registry errors you purport.

XP and 2000 aren't bad OSes. They are stable, and they work quite well. I just think they're ugly, and I vastly prefer my Mac for most things.

95/98/ME are way crappier, but it's not like MSFT can't make a fairly good OS (in NT/2000/XP) because it can. Again it's just ugly and I don't like it as much.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 05:16 PM

Just got mine. In the process of transfering everthing from my iBook. Really like the big screen. Its nice to be able to leave my dock out.

Did find that it didn't like the 10.2 retail CDs. Got a Kernal Panic on start up.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:

I don't recall a .dll issue in 3 or 4 years... and I've never seen the registry errors you purport.

XP and 2000 aren't bad OSes. They are stable, and they work quite well. I just think they're ugly, and I vastly prefer my Mac for most things.

95/98/ME are way crappier, but it's not like MSFT can't make a fairly good OS (in NT/2000/XP) because it can. Again it's just ugly and I don't like it as much.
Funny you should say that, my XP machine's registry just crapped out last week. Had to reformat the thing to fix it; reinstalling over the existing install didnt work at all.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2002, 05:29 PM

whats up alex! major base lag huh?

l�k

btw i'm replacing my lombard with a new ghz superdrive too, that is if apple ever ships it!

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
OS X is a whole lot better than Windows 98! This must be a big change for you, the computer working properly and all.

I just ordered a new Powerbook, which will replace my old, last generation one. Its kind of old at this point (its a Pismo 500).
iron sharpens iron

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:

You mustn't work in IT - I have to deal with this crap every day

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Nov 19, 2002, 08:55 PM

some hours ago, I saw this "Win ain't no bad"-post and thought ... "naaah, that's gonna go off topic ..."

Well and now ...

Anyway - if you say "... they're ugly, and ..."

What to you mean, color, handling, behaviour? Or the engine?
Talking like about cars: the finish, the chassis or the gearbox etc.?

Actually - I've got to deal with a lot of OSs and IMHO there's no other such inflated and predominant monolithic system like that.

Ever played around with file sorting in file explorer view in Win2k? Tried to fix networkstuff on the fly without taking care which action demands a reboot and which not? Ever got a messed up ShellIconCash file?

Of course every system has it's pros and cons and I know Unix boxes which rather should get a new system install to fix things. But none of those vendors treats users like this one big company from Redmond does.

BTW, it's true, XP is the best Windows which has been released. And one doesn't get BSODs anymore that's right - I can confirm that - we got some boxes which just reboot, they just don't show the BSOD anymore when they crash ;-)

We should discuss this in the lounge (ist this the place?) ...

Just my .2 cent,
Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

ClownNinja  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 10:09 PM

And my powerbook continues to amaze me. I connected my nomad jukebox up to it and did not have to install any software at all for it to be recognized. I transfered all my mp3 files on to the hard drive. I could not even transfer files from the jukebox to the computer with my pc and the nomad jukebox software installed!!! I got lots of admiring looks at school and am thinking about buying a wireless router for school so that I can be connected up to the net at all times. I love the Cd burner, it runs quietly in the background while I was taking notes. I absolutely love this machine. It is sooooo sexy. Still trying to figure out how to use the operating system. Its quite a change from a lifetime windows user.

p.s. more cool news-I got my drivers license today, so if you see me on the road you better watch out!

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2002, 12:47 AM

duh os x is bette rthan any windows that is under 2k(not inlcuding 2k) its old tech, its like saying os 9 to xp =p ...oh well i love my tibook also =]
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

euphras
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 01:55 PM

Quote:
"As far as the mic thing goes, as far as I know there isn't one."

Of course there is one. It�s located left side beneath the speaker under the same grille...

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
You mustn't work in IT - I have to deal with this crap every day
I do work in IT and I don't usually come up with these problems either.

Most computer-related problems are really user problems. Anyone who works in IT knows this.

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Nov 20, 2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by John123:

Most computer-related problems are really user problems. Anyone who works in IT knows this.
With all due respect, I find this a rather idealistic approach ;-)

Sure - often the problem sits between keyboard and chair and it might be a user's fault, but it is not necessarily but if this would exclusively the case, software would have to be bugfree.
Which is not - as we all know.
(Things simply taken, of course ;-)

Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
option-shift-8 = � (180�F, as in PowerBook HOT)
Interesting, I've been using option-0 (zero), which gives a slightly larger circle but more importantly is easier to type. Which one is really the degree sign?

option-shift-8: �
option-0: �

In the forum font they seem to look the same....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by TonTaub:

BTW, it's true, XP is the best Windows which has been released. And one doesn't get BSODs anymore that's right - I can confirm that - we got some boxes which just reboot, they just don't show the BSOD anymore when they crash ;-)
Actually I get the BSOD (very similar to the OS X kernel panic screen, but blue) pretty often when I try to connect firewire devices to my windows XP computer, and some other times as well. But XP is definitely the best windows yet (not really that much of an achievement, but...) In terms of stability, it seems almost a wash to me. I've had problems with both XP and OS X. It seems like the potential for problems gets much bigger when you use a lot of peripherals.

In terms of ease of use, I think OS X probably still has the edge, but it's got a ways to go still.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by neilw:

Interesting, I've been using option-0 (zero), which gives a slightly larger circle but more importantly is easier to type. Which one is really the degree sign?

option-shift-8: �
option-0: �

In the forum font they seem to look the same....
The first one is the degree symbol, the second one is a small O (o, not zero) used in Spanish as an ordinal (el 2� piso, pronounced "el segundo piso").

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules