Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How old is this PowerBook??? Newbie at this PowerBook thing

How old is this PowerBook??? Newbie at this PowerBook thing
bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 03:14 AM

Hey All

I'm looking at getting a 15" 1ghz with SuperDriver.

Ram Max is 1gb comes with 512mb

64mb Video Ram

Do these older PowerBooks have any problems???

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori

Eddie Hellion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 04:56 AM

It's a Titanium Powerbook G4.

Buy it. It's an ablolute tank. Came out about a year ago.

Peace out.
Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'...they're burried in my back yard!

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 04:45 PM

Hey Eddie Hellion

""Buy it. It's an ablolute tank. Came out about a year ago.""

Is ""TANK"" an Good thing in this case??? Sounds like it is, but want to be sure before I spend the money.

In the terms we use ""TANK"" here, its something Not to be Looked at.

Do you think that having Max Ram at 1gb will hurt me in the long run??? I intend to keep this for 2 years before an upgrade.

Thanks for your Time!!!

Brad Gotori

TheFake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 05:02 PM

he means tank as a good thing. they are solid, and will last.

the titaniums are great, and have no more problems than any other laptop. they also have the advantage of having a user-upgradable HD.

1G RAM limit shouldn't be any kind of problem. If things happen that require more, there will be workarounds and ways to put in bigger RAM chips.

it's solid and upgradable. go for it.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 05:11 PM

I think the main question is, how much? Does it come with Applecare?

Can't have a meaningful discussion without knowing the price...

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 05:26 PM

if you're going to keep it for 2 years the CPU speed and RAM might limit you, it depends on what you're doing with it. The 1ghz and 1.25ghz processors in the newer 15" powerbooks are significantly faster due to the increased L2 cache. They also support up to 2 gigs of RAM.

As far as built quality the titanium powerbooks are very sturdy except for: they can scratch easily due to the fact the case is painted, and the hinges can sometimes break and are not cheap to replace.

If it's cheap enough to where it's a great deal then buy it, but if it's priced reasonably close to a 1 or 1.25 ghz aluminum powerbook you may want to consider that instead. You could also look at a new 12" powerbook.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 06:25 PM

The last revision of the Titanium PowerBooks was one of the best Apple laptop releases EVER. By that time, they basically fixed all the design issues with the Titaniums (just in time to replace them with all the problems with the Aluminums).

Go for it. The aluminums are nice, but not THAT much nicer, and they are the first revision and have lots of problems.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 07:33 PM

Hey All

Thanks!!!

So you guys are saying that maybe in the future I might be able to upgrade the Ram to more then 1gb. Apple doesn't limit the amount of Ram other than what can be had on the number slots.

How many Ram slots does this one have???

I'm just using this for Home DVD stuff. I don't mine if its slow, as long as it works. I'm Not Going To Do This Professional. Mainly using the PowerBook for doing my Research(using some of my Old Next computer programs re-complied and some of my Linux programs). Love the way Apple stepped up to the plate using UNIX-BSD-DARWIN-LINUX OS base. Tired of always having to hunt-down(driver/programs)and reconfigure my Debian LapTop, and still not everything works.

This is New(old stock)Sealed with One(1)Year warrenty and can be upgraded to Three(3)Years. He gave one to his Daughter, and she did the Apple Warrenty thing. I can come by anytime we can arrange so I can see it. He's one of the guys I Fly my RC Helicopters with. He does Close-out stuff(all kinds of stuff).

This one comes with 1mb of cache. So it seems to be more than the current models.

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 2, 2004, 12:35 AM

how much is he selling it for, though?

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by bgotori:
Hey All

Thanks!!!

So you guys are saying that maybe in the future I might be able to upgrade the Ram to more then 1gb. Apple doesn't limit the amount of Ram other than what can be had on the number slots.

How many Ram slots does this one have???

I'm just using this for Home DVD stuff. I don't mine if its slow, as long as it works. I'm Not Going To Do This Professional. Mainly using the PowerBook for doing my Research(using some of my Old Next computer programs re-complied and some of my Linux programs). Love the way Apple stepped up to the plate using UNIX-BSD-DARWIN-LINUX OS base. Tired of always having to hunt-down(driver/programs)and reconfigure my Debian LapTop, and still not everything works.

This is New(old stock)Sealed with One(1)Year warrenty and can be upgraded to Three(3)Years. He gave one to his Daughter, and she did the Apple Warrenty thing. I can come by anytime we can arrange so I can see it. He's one of the guys I Fly my RC Helicopters with. He does Close-out stuff(all kinds of stuff).

This one comes with 1mb of cache. So it seems to be more than the current models.

Thanks!!!

Brad Gotori
the machine has 2 ram slots, which are under the keyboard. the 1 ghz tibook has 256k of L2 cache and 1 mb of L3 cache. the current albook has 512k of L2 cache and no L3 cache. the doubled full speed L2 cache seems to make up for the L3 cache. i had a 1 ghz tibook before i got my current 1.25 ghz albook, and it was great when it worked. however, i had a lot of problems with mine. on the other hand, i know plenty of people who have 1 ghz tibooks with no problems. what price is being asked?

Forum Links
Forum Rules