Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New addition to the family (Pic Included!)

New addition to the family (Pic Included!)
Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 09:04 PM

The one on the Left.

You don't even want to know what I paid for it.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 09:14 PM

Not a fan of strats. Nice JCM and PRS though.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 17, 2005, 09:21 PM

I used to hate strats. But I wanna get that Pink Floyd sound.

Hard to do without a maple neck Strat.

Plus, I only payed $50 for it.

The neck was cracked. My dad so happened to have a extra maple neck Strat neck that would fit right on it.

I like the new neck better because it has that HUGE nostalgia 70s headstock like Fender and Blackmore and Gilmore used to use.

The PRS is still my main guitar (For obvious reasons) but it's nice to have another guitar to noodle on.

I love the clean sound it has. Esp with some chorus and delay.

Has a nice bell like chime

Instant 80s.

While the PRS is pure balls.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 09:36 PM

$50!! Oh my god, now I fully understand!

I suppose if you wanted that Pink Floyd sound then a Strat is the only way to go. I'm more of a fan of the clean sound a Tele makes over a Strat (hence why I own a Tele), its much more crisp rather than jangly, but I will always be a Les Paul guy. PRSs feel too light for me. I like a nice heavy Gibson round my neck!

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 10:14 PM

Adorable, what did she weigh in at? Healthy?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 01:39 AM

Less than my PRS that is fo sho

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
I only payed $50 for it.
You payed for it?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2005, 04:47 AM

Bible-speak.

It's pronounced "pay-yed".

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 11:39 AM

Congratulations Zimphire. Although when you said a new addition to the family, I was expecting a baby.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 11:55 AM

i like strats.

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 18, 2005, 11:58 AM

strats are the way to go
but if you have the money buy a gibson

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 12:46 PM

Yep, no matter what kind of guitar I play, I always come back to the maple neck strat. It's what I grew up with, so it just "feels right" to me. Congrats Zim, it's a beauty. Gonna get the frets scalloped?

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 05:15 PM

Hey Zimph,

Nice!!! Strats rock, and truly are the workhorse for the gigging musician in my opinion. I own a Tom Anderson, 2 strats, and just sold my LP as I absolutely hated the feel (and weight) of it. A nice Guild and a Larivee acoustic round out my collection.

With all of that said, one strat does 90% of my gigging. It is an early 90's strat plus deluxe, with a replacement warmoth neck (ebony with jumbo frets), and I have put about a dozen different pick ups in it over the years. There is just something about this strat... never fails, never breaks a string, etc,

Nice purchase!

James

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 05:19 PM

P.S. I love your floor setup... I used to dig the old BOSS pedals before I switched to the stuff I use now.

What is on the floor...if I remember the colors correctly it is a compressor, a digital delay, and a chorus ensemble?

And of the course, the classic wah.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 05:44 PM

Ohhh. Very nice. I have a red Fat Strat that I bought for $250. Everything else in my price range sounded bad, so imagine my surprise when I found a real one for the same price. The only problem is that it has the ugly mother of pearl pickguard on it. Yuck. I was thinking a white pickguard with black knobs, etc. Wanna trade?

The one you have looks great. I'd rather have a humbucker on the bridge though. You don't like those big headstocks?

Looking at the pedals I see a wah, a delay, and some other stuff. I'm not exactly sure, since I don't have any pedals. Actually, I was thinking about http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...d/151392/]this or this. Any sugguestions? My amp's shitty, and yours is pretty. Sigh. I need a job.

Blackmore and Gilmour both had those pretty white strats. I wish I could get one like they have.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Bible-speak.

It's pronounced "pay-yed".
Recently payed your fanboy dues?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by doucy2
strats are the way to go
but if you have the money buy a gibson
Why would I want a Gibson when I already have a nice PRS?
Originally Posted by James L
P.S. I love your floor setup... I used to dig the old BOSS pedals before I switched to the stuff I use now.
I used to use them, then did the rack effects thing, but I went back to the pedals. I like them more.
What is on the floor...if I remember the colors correctly it is a compressor, a digital delay, and a chorus ensemble?
And of the course, the classic wah.
That is exactly what is on there.

Well it's a "Super Chorus"
Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
The one you have looks great. I'd rather have a humbucker on the bridge though. You don't like those big headstocks?
No, I like the big headstocks. And I have a guitar with a humbucker.

I wanted the Strat for the single coil "Pink Floyd" sound.
Any suggestions? My amp's shitty, and yours is pretty. Sigh. I need a job.
I suggest you just go to a guitar store and try them all out.

As far as the distortion pedals go.. not sure. I always use the tube distortion for my over drive. The JCM 900 has plenty.

I use the compressor/sustainer to even things out a bit.

And I bought that amp back in 1993 brand new.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 06:21 PM

Here's one of my babies ('88 Les Paul Standard), right before I packed her up to get restored:

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 06:24 PM

As far as the distortion pedals go.. not sure. I always use the tube distortion for my over drive. The JCM 900 has plenty.
Buying a new amp is out of the question for me. I have no job (yet) and there are a few *cough* things I need to finance. I was wondering if a Bluesbreaker or a Blues Driver would be okay in the interim.

toledo79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 06:25 PM

i have a mex telecaster, a 1979 usa mustang, and a std strat, but i always wanted a 70's strat, i actually love the big headstock...

but nice buy...

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Here's one of my babies ('88 Les Paul Standard), right before I packed her up to get restored:

1988? What needs restored? And LPs are SWEET! Just too heavy for me. And the are a little clumsy when sitting down and playing.

That is why I guess I bought a PRS instead.
Buying a new amp is out of the question for me. I have no job (yet) and there are a few *cough* things I need to finance. I was wondering if a Bluesbreaker or a Blues Driver would be okay in the interim.
Like I said, try them at the guitar store.

I have a old Boss Overdrive pedal that I used to use to boost the front end of an old Fender amp I had before the Marshall.

Depends on what kind of distortion you want CD.

If you want really nasty metal distortion, get a Metal Zone, or whatever they are called.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 06:28 PM

I'm also a big fan of my Epiphone Dot -- I never thought it would be as good as it is, seeing as how it's only a $350 guitar, but it sounds really smooth:

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite: my Taylor K-14c Acoustic:

All my other guitars are crap, and I play a Peavey Fury bass from the late 80's -- soon to be replaced with a Cirrus, as soon as I decide what type of wood I want.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 18, 2005, 06:29 PM

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my favorite: my Taylor K-14c Acoustic:

Oooooh I want.

That will be my next purchase. A acoustic guitar.

How much you pay for that one?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 06:33 PM

1988? What needs restored? And LPs are SWEET! Just too heavy for me. And the are a little clumsy when sitting down and playing.
Once you play a LP for a while, you get used to the weight because it sounds so much better than any other guitar on earth and they play so dadgum well. But yes, I've had many a bruised and sore shoulder from playing 2+ hours live with the sucker hanging over me -- but it's worth it.

When we moved to the DFW Metroplex a few years ago, I put up my guitars and they sat for a few years. When I finally got them all out again, my LP had corrosion from sweat on everything that has metal. It's not in bad shape and it plays just fine -- but I like it too much to not get it professionally restored as well as possible (without damaging the original hardware). I'm also having the guy do a complete fret filing and cleaning.

Maury

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 18, 2005, 06:36 PM

Get a "Martin" Accoustic Guitar. The best.

http://www.mguitar.com/

Who's owned them? Ahem...

http://www.martinguitar.com/artists/famous.php

I'd love to own a nice black "Johny Cash" edition...

And one of these:

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 06:39 PM

Oooooh I want.

That will be my next purchase. A acoustic guitar.

How much you pay for that one?
That acoustic set me back about $3000 all told, back when they first came out. It was a limited model when they first came out with them, and since the "k" stands for the Koa (on the back and sides), they asked a pretty penny for them.

I think -- if you're lucky -- you can find them at some stores for around $2500 nowadays.

You really can't beat a Taylor guitar, either. In my 20+ years of playing, I have yet to come across an acoustic that can even begin to sound as good as a high end Taylor. I'm a total butthole about this guitar, too -- even my wife can't touch it.

Like I said above, my next purchase will be a Peavey Cirrus bass (I can't decide on a flame maple or redwood top, though I'm leaning toward redwood), and then I'll be getting the new Taylor T5:

Maury

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 06:45 PM

Depends on what kind of distortion you want CD.

If you want really nasty metal distortion, get a Metal Zone, or whatever they are called.
I want something similar to 'Heartbreaker,' and the blues pedals sound the best. Most of those metal pedals are mashy and way too fuzzy. They really can't get something like AC/DC out of them. Metal Zone's a good pedal, but the blues ones seem alot more versatile. Actually, if there was one that could help you get that Sabbath sound, that would be nice.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 07:23 PM

my uncle is an "antique" guitar dealer. and he found me an original ibanez tube screamer <http://www.lindberg.de/catalog/images/images/producer/ibanez/ibanez_ts808.jpg>. and boy that baby screams with my 58' vibrolux amp. yes all very expensive gear but you can get a great sound out of a newer tube screamer and a fender blues jr. or some other small tube amp.
edit: i also liked the sound i got out of a danelectro daddy-o. it was a nice clean crunchy sound w/o all the distortion.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
my uncle is an "antique" guitar dealer. and he found me an original ibanez tube screamer <http://www.lindberg.de/catalog/images/images/producer/ibanez/ibanez_ts808.jpg>. and boy that baby screams with my 58' vibrolux amp. yes all very expensive gear but you can get a great sound out of a newer tube screamer and a fender blues jr. or some other small tube amp.
edit: i also liked the sound i got out of a danelectro daddy-o. it was a nice clean crunchy sound w/o all the distortion.
Come to think of it, a Tube Screamer would be perfect. SRV used one, if I 'member correctly.

*Sniff*
Anyone got $100?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 18, 2005, 07:47 PM

Scuttle-butt'n

Here is some info for y'all.

http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 08:39 PM

depressing carpet and curtains

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 08:53 PM

ya if u can get a ts9 with the 808 mod do it. i have an 808 and a ts9, can't beat the 808
http://www.mafia-designs.com

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 09:16 PM

ya if u can get a ts9 with the 808 mod do it. i have an 808 and a ts9, can't beat the 808
Mod what now?
Looks like I can only afford the ts9.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 10:17 PM

ow

that musta hurt like modurfackah!!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 10:27 PM

Zimph, let's hear you play something.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 02:49 AM

Once you play a LP for a while, you get used to the weight
It's not so much about the weight. As my PRS isn't that light. It's more about the shape. Esp when you sit down to play. Not very comfortable.
because it sounds so much better than any other guitar on earth
While LPs do sound great, that is debatable.
and they play so dadgum well.
When set up properly yes indeed. Gibson no longer set them up properly from the factory.
When we moved to the DFW Metroplex a few years ago, I put up my guitars and they sat for a few years. When I finally got them all out again, my LP had corrosion from sweat on everything that has metal. It's not in bad shape and it plays just fine -- but I like it too much to not get it professionally restored as well as possible (without damaging the original hardware). I'm also having the guy do a complete fret filing and cleaning.

Maury
Good deal. Sometimes that stuff costs more than what you originally payed for it.

My PRS's body was banged up a bit when I bought it. But I got it for dirt cheap, it played like no other guitar I played, and sounded great.

After I adjusted it and cleaned it up, the guy wanted to buy it back from me.

I've owned lots of guitars over the years. I used to use a overdrive pedal in front of my amp to add a bit of boost and sustain before it hit the amp.

Since i bought this PRS, I haven't had to use a pedal in front to do it.

I owned a PRS before this one, but it was a maple neck bolt on model.

Not the same as a glued in mahogany neck.

But I don't have to tell you that.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Get a "Martin" Accoustic Guitar. The best.

http://www.mguitar.com/

Who's owned them? Ahem...
Not me. Cost too much.

There are other acoustics that I like that sound good for a lot less.
Ever played a Yngwie strat? You know the fretboard is scalloped.

Not too easy to play when you aren't used to it. Intonation on a chord is tricky even.
I want something similar to 'Heartbreaker,' and the blues pedals sound the best. Most of those metal pedals are mashy and way too fuzzy. They really can't get something like AC/DC out of them. Metal Zone's a good pedal, but the blues ones seem alot more versatile. Actually, if there was one that could help you get that Sabbath sound, that would be nice.
The Blues driver is a lot like the Boss O/D and Distortion pedals. With a few different capacitors.

The best thing you can do is upgrade the caps and such.
Tube Screamers are great for putting in front a boosted amp. But it does add a bit of mid range (I like transparent boost)

But by itself, I don't think it's so hot.
Come to think of it, a Tube Screamer would be perfect. SRV used one, if I 'member correctly.

*Sniff*
Anyone got $100?
If that is what you want, there are schematics on the web on how to make your own.
Zimph, let's hear you play something.
Heh most of my stuff I had was lost 2 years ago with a gal I caught being unfaithful to me.. so she punished me?

The only thing I have still is an old sloppy mp3 of me trying out a Boss multi-effects pedal of my friends.

It really sucks.

http://webpages.charter.net/zimphire/ZimGuitar.mp3

I am actually a *tad* better than that.

The purpose of that was to see what the effects pedal would sound like direct recorded.

Not bad sounding.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 06:02 AM

Recently payed your fanboy dues?
Just let a joke stand for once.

Idiot.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 12:47 PM

So you make a lame fanboy joke, and I make fun of you for it. And I am the idiot?

( Last edited by Zimphire; Jun 19, 2005 at 01:04 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 01:05 PM

nice find, btw.

If you ever find a hammond for $50, let me know.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 01:11 PM

nice find, btw.

I found a B3 once for $5000.
Cool, eh? Too bad it had Wakeman's signature on it. That totally makes it unusable.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 01:18 PM

Heh.

I have respect for the guy's ability - he's certainly a virtuoso - but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or even be able to bear it.

And FWIW, I could have had Brian Auger autograph my B3 when he briefly played it at soundcheck for a gig where we opened for Oblivion Express, but I didn't ask him. I'm not into fan-cult.

Do autographs increase an instrument's value? That particular B3 will never leave me, anyway, so it's not of importance, but I'm curious.

(Brian noted it was a "killer" organ, btw.)

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 01:20 PM

nice find, btw.

Will do. But I would probably keep it

Dad has a slew of old tubes in his basement.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 01:24 PM

Will do. But I would probably keep it

Dad has a slew of old tubes in his basement.
The older Hammonds take a couple of fairly exotic tubes, but they're all still available.

A complete set runs me about $150 here. I should probably stock up. I have one complete back-up set, but two antique Hammonds (1960 A-100 and a 1968 B-3), which, though freshly serviced, will need new tubes in a couple of years...

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 01:26 PM

Everyone loves a B3. They're fun to hug. Except the corners.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 02:04 PM

The older Hammonds take a couple of fairly exotic tubes, but they're all still available.

A complete set runs me about $150 here..
Dang...
And I thought the power tubes in my half stack cost a lot.

EL34s aren't that rare though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 02:20 PM

Hammond B-3 Tubes:

12AX7 (=ECC83)
12AU7 (=ECC82)
12BH7
6X4 (=EZ90)
6C4 (=EC90) x2
6AU6 (=EF94) x2

Of those, I believe only the AU7s and AX7s are commonplace guitar amp tubes.

BTW, might be of interest to some: tube substitution table

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 04:06 PM

My amp has 3 x ECC 83 in the preamp section.

Some Marshall had 5881s in the power amp. But I don't think they sound as good as the EL34s.

I also noticed there was no substitution for the EL34s in that page.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2005, 05:26 PM

Yeah - the EL34 and 5881s are the standard power amp tubes. 6L6 are fairly common, too.

The 122 tube Leslie uses the somewhat rare 6550s (naturally; can't have this stuff use "standard" tubes, nosiree).

I've accepted the fact that maintenence costs for these beasts will keep rising as these old tubes grow rarer and rarer.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Jun 19, 2005, 05:47 PM

The power amp tubes are still being made. The EL34s, the 5881s and the preamp ones I mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules