Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any Tinderbox Users?

Any Tinderbox Users?
jaske
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2003, 08:12 PM

I just downloaded the program, and I am considering purchasing the software. I'd like to know if anyone's used the program, your comments, etc. I've only had a few hours to use the program, but so far I am impressed. I'm just hesitant to purchase the program on the basis of a few hours, as it is a bit pricey. That being said, the app seems to be the first I've encountered which allows for the flexible and meaningful mapping of ideas.

Thanks.

jaxxe
Feb 16, 2003, 08:04 AM

Hi,

Mac Net Journal is a site done entirely in Tinderbox. He made the switch over a few months ago. The site looks great and he seems to really like the flexibility of Tinderbox.

jaxxe

jaske  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the link. It looks like he mainly uses Tinderbox for managing his blog/site.

I'm interested in that feature, but what I'd really like to know is if anyone has used the tool for managing projects, mapping ideas, or similar tasks. Thanks.

Forenheit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 03:29 PM

I'd like also some feed-back from people who use it.
Anyone since the last post ?

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 11:27 PM

I used version 1, but didn't upgrade to version 2. I found it very difficult to use the user interface for configuring, which is very un-mac-like. Diagramming was also very awkward, and I spent most of my time arguing with the interface rather than thinking about my work. Most of the alternative view formats are great in principle, but completely unrealistic in practice-- there's nothing to be gained, for example, by representing a hierarchy as nested boxes, especially if you want to include things that cut across the hierarchy.

I never did get around to trying out the link-tracing features (which are certainly the unique thing in this program)-- it was just too difficult to figure out how to use them with the clumsy, squinty, headache-making interface. The capacity to walk a network may make it worthwhile if you have a need for it.

And with Omnigraffle so effective (complete with attachments and applescript actions), I just gave up. Version 2 might be a lot better-- I didn't try it, and I'm not willing to spend the money.

Squilla

Forum Links
Forum Rules