Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tucson != Seattle (a rant)

Tucson != Seattle (a rant)
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 06:42 PM

<rant>
I dropped my laptop off at a local Apple store in Bellevue, WA (near Seattle) for some minor repairs: CD drive failed, lid wasn't always recognized as closed. As I was signing the forms, the Genius asked me where I wanted it delivered after it was done. "Delivered?" I asked. It turns out that they decided it would be easier and faster to ship the laptop to their repair depot in Memphis than to do it on-site, since they weren't sure exactly what parts they needed. "Here," I told him. My home address is no good, as it's way down in Tucson, Arizona. Besides, I won't be down there for another three months: I have an internship to complete. "Okay, I can definitely do that," he tells me. Sweet.

Today, I get the following email from Apple:

Your service request has been completed and your MACBOOK (13-INCH) shipped on 2008-06-04. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Shipping address:
My address
TUCSON, ARIZONA 85719
UNITED STATES

Well that's just peachy. I call up the store, and they forward me to some old guy who sounds like he's about to pass out on the phone. He asks me if they said it was coming back here, or if I just assumed it.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for them to call me back with a solution. The package has already been delivered and signed for by my front desk, so I'm not sure what Apple can do. But it better be a damn good solution; if not, the Genius who took care of this for me is getting a little visit.

</rant>

Has something like this ever happened to you? What can I look forward to as a solution?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 06:56 PM

Man, that sucks. But what would you like them to do at this point? Or rather, what would make you satisfied?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 07:58 PM

Well I talked to the manager of the Bellevue store, and they're sending someone from FedEx to pick it up tomorrow, at which point it'll be overnighted back to Seattle by Friday. Everyone I've talked to since then has been very nice and helpful, so I'm about as satisfied as I can expect to be. It turns out it wasn't even the Genius: the correct address was filed into the system, and the mistake happened in Tennessee.

Good thing I didn't tell them I work for Microsoft, otherwise I may never have seen it again.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Well I talked to the manager of the Bellevue store, and they're sending someone from FedEx to pick it up tomorrow, at which point it'll be overnighted back to Seattle by Friday. Everyone I've talked to since then has been very nice and helpful, so I'm about as satisfied as I can expect to be. It turns out it wasn't even the Genius: the correct address was filed into the system, and the mistake happened in Tennessee.

Good thing I didn't tell them I work for Microsoft, otherwise I may never have seen it again.
!

It sounds like there was just a failure to communicate (probably at the Bellevue store) and they have figured out that it's an Apple mistake. Good for you—and the rest of us!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 11:41 PM

857 represent!

You never know. Maybe they caught a wiff of Balmer sweat wafting from your general direction. That plus the guilty look on your face when you walked through the door.

Glad you got things sorted out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 02:20 AM

Ok, so I don't get it.

You gave them an address that you didn't want them to use ?

WTF ?

-t

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 06:30 AM

They probably had it in their system as his default address. no?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ok, so I don't get it.

You gave them an address that you didn't want them to use ?

WTF ?

-t

Most likely the address associated to the computer registration.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Most likely the address associated to the computer registration.
Bingo. I permanently live in Tucson... except for this summer, where I'm in Seattle.

Originally Posted by zro
You never know. Maybe they caught a wiff of Balmer sweat wafting from your general direction. That plus the guilty look on your face when you walked through the door.
Nah, I'm working with MacBU, so no guilt. And I haven't seen Ballmer yet, but I hear that he's giving a presentation some time next week that I should go see.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 01:39 PM

I once dropped off my iBook G4 at that particular Apple Store and the Mac Genius asked me the same question as well. The iBook G4 arrived to my doorstep within a week.

I'm sure it's a mistake. Meanwhile, what time did you schedule your appointment? During the busy hours, I found 'not so good' customer service at the Genius Bar.

BTW, it feels like Winter in Seattle.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I'm sure it's a mistake. Meanwhile, what time did you schedule your appointment? During the busy hours, I found 'not so good' customer service at the Genius Bar.
Yeah, it was mid-afternoon (~2pm) on a Sunday, so the place was packed. The guy helping me was actually helping another person simultaneously, so I guess I didn't have 100% of his attention.

BTW, it feels like Winter in Seattle.
I noticed! Everyone has always told me that Seattle in the spring/summer is gorgeous. Meanwhile the current temperature is 52°F and raining. A rough change from 105°F (when I left Tucson).

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 02:20 PM

I'll trade you that rainy 52Ëš for my humid 83Ëš! But I won't go to Tucson-it's too hot here already.

I have picked up a habit that seems to work pretty well (when I remember to use it). If you have set up something out of the ordinary or in any way confusing, have the Genius/clerk/waiter/whatever, read it back word for word.

<wordy example> My wife and I once had dinner with another couple at a restaurant, and the waitress took my card and my friend's card without having those cool little trays that help keep the checks separate. His first name is "Glyn," while mine is "Glenn", and both cards were issued by the same bank so other than the name were virtually identical. It wound up with my card getting charged for both checks, me getting his card and him getting mine. No biggie until I couldn't get the ATM to accept "my" PIN so I went into the bank and they decided the card was dead and destroyed it. Oops... The restaurant bought us all another dinner and apologized profusely, but that's not the point. It's confusing when my friend and I pay for separate checks, so we insist on demonstrating that the cards are really easily confused. We ALWAYS get silly laughs from the wait, until they look at the cards. The laugh turns nervous then... </wordy example>

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 12:56 AM

How do you like Redmond (or Seattle) in general?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 08:13 AM

Well, it looks like I'm in for adventure, a MacBook I just ordered is coming via UPS.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'll trade you that rainy 52Ëš for my humid 83Ëš!
Are you nuts or something? Heck it was 93 and humid here yesterday, but I won't trade that for cold and wet.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Are you nuts or something? Heck it was 93 and humid here yesterday, but I won't trade that for cold and wet.
I'm "nuts AND something," but that's beside the point. I've had it with 90s for the past month and a half, and I need some relief, so a day or two of turning our weather on its head would be a welcome relief. I'm not talking about long-term, just something different.

On topic: TheoCryst, any updates?

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 09:51 AM

90's sound pretty damn nice to me right now. Though yesterday was very pleasant. We're looking at all time record breaking temps in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your time away this summer, Theo.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
How do you like Redmond (or Seattle) in general?
So far it's been pretty great. A little cold and wet, but I'm originally from the east coast, so I'm already getting used to it. Bellevue is boring as **** though - a friend and I spent an hour and a half last night trying to figure out where to go hang out. We ended up just chilling and playing Super Mario Strikers on his GameCube.

Originally Posted by ghporter
On topic: TheoCryst, any updates?
Yeah, due to some policy with FedEx, they have to ship the computer back to Memphis, and then re-send it to Seattle. So I'm looking at a Monday delivery, which sucks. But hey, I can always just screw around at work, so it's not all bad.

Originally Posted by zro
Enjoy your time away this summer, Theo.
You bet I will. I'm also enjoying knowing just a little bit more about "Snow Leopard" than everyone else here...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Well, it looks like I'm in for adventure, a MacBook I just ordered is coming via UPS.
PORTLAND,
OR, US 06/06/2008 3:13 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
4 days later, and I have no idea where it is.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2008, 02:35 PM

4 days later, and I have no idea where it is.
Yeah, that sucks. No midpoint checks yet? It'll usually say when it's passing through a major city.

I'm also still MacBook-less: I found out that FedEx didn't pick up the laptop from my old apartment until yesterday, and it's now on its way back to Memphis with an estimated delivery date of Thursday. That means I probably won't be seeing it this week either...

I'm getting a little frustrated.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah, that sucks. No midpoint checks yet? It'll usually say when it's passing through a major city.
I'm guessing it went from a major northwest distribution center to a major northeast one, hence the long wait.

I won't be entirely surprised if I suddenly get an update noting two or three stops and it is on the truck for delivery, however.

I
'm also still MacBook-less: I found out that FedEx didn't pick up the laptop from my old apartment until yesterday, and it's now on its way back to Memphis with an estimated delivery date of Thursday. That means I probably won't be seeing it this week either...

I'm getting a little frustrated.
That really sucks. FedEx has always treated me right.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 03:20 PM

FedEx has always treated me right.
Sure, who wants to reason with a man who has body parts sprawled all over his front lawn.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 08:14 AM

Make it 5 days. The laptop is, theoretically, supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 09:40 AM

HORSHAM,
PA, US 06/11/2008 9:34 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
Oh, hello.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2008, 09:59 AM

Sometimes FedEx doesn't bother with en route updates until the package has gotten two or three steps closer to delivery. It looks like this is what's going on with yours, Dakar.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 10:28 AM

Well, this is UPS. FedEx doesn't pull this crap on me.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 11:48 AM

Well, it's on the truck. I'm taking a half-day from work to wait for the UPS guy and run a few errands.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2008, 01:07 PM

UPS does the "no update yet" stuff even more than FedEx, and don't get me started about DHL. I assume you'll post a self-congratulatory statement about your new toy as soon as it arrives? I'm looking forward to it!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
UPS does the "no update yet" stuff even more than FedEx, and don't get me started about DHL. I assume you'll post a self-congratulatory statement about your new toy as soon as it arrives? I'm looking forward to it!
Ha, I'm not the type to post about my newest acquisitions. Don't care to be a braggart. If it hadn't been for the coincidence of this thread it might not have been mentioned at all.
*POSTED FROM MY NEW BLACKBOOK

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 03:37 PM

I predict you'll receive it at 5:20pm.
Enjoy it in good health, or whatever ill purpose you have in mind.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules