Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Verizon Dial-up Internet on a Mac?

Verizon Dial-up Internet on a Mac?
stephanielamb
Jun 21, 2005, 12:53 PM

I'd like to set up my Motorola v710 with my G4 1.67 PB running Tiger. Verizon has some free dialupwhatchmacallit that only uses airtime. However, theeeeeeey only "support" PC. Surely there's a way around this?

I'm wondering how this can be achieved. I don't even want to bother asking the company..because..well, you know how asking questions to a big company can be. I asked at the store and they got out the mobile data kit and told me to buy the kit and i'd be all okay and then I pointed out that their software that comes with the kit isn't even Mac compatible..

Is there just a way to set the dial up settings?

Anyone who could walk me through this would be greatly appreciated.

(Also, I have a Motorola v710 and i'm hoping to be able to dial-up using the Bluetooth, but this question is more about the dial-up than the actual Bluetooth.)

ctlq
Jun 21, 2005, 01:19 PM

I'm gonna guess bluetooth won't work since last I knew verizon was crippling it to only work w/ headsets. But maybe I'm wrong. does your phone show up as a modem? That's step 1 of a long pain in the ass of getting it working. If not try getting a usb cable for it and then you'll probably need the ProlificUSBSerial OS X driver.
After that you'll need a modem script.... I posted everything I used on here:
http://www.aysystems.net/verizon_modem/

note: I've only done it w/ Audiovox & LG phones so this will probably differ.
Also, I honestly think its a waste of time to deal w/ and won't be doing it again unless in emergency.

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ctlq
I'm gonna guess bluetooth won't work since last I knew verizon was crippling it to only work w/ headsets. But maybe I'm wrong. does your phone show up as a modem? That's step 1 of a long pain in the ass of getting it working. If not try getting a usb cable for it and then you'll probably need the ProlificUSBSerial OS X driver.
After that you'll need a modem script.... I posted everything I used on here:
http://www.aysystems.net/verizon_modem/

note: I've only done it w/ Audiovox & LG phones so this will probably differ.
Also, I honestly think its a waste of time to deal w/ and won't be doing it again unless in emergency.
Yeah, in another forum in here i've been told they cripped Bluetooth internet. *cries*
That alone may make me just take back the phone, but I don't know what other phone I'd want to get.. I got this one for free after the new every 2 credit and a $50 rebate..

I haven't tried out seeing what it shows up on a Powerbook as yet... I actually sold mine last month and my new one is due in tomorrow morning. It'll prolly be the first thing I do after I get the box open.

It's just mostly the modem script I guess I need, though i'm not quite sure what to do with those. I'm not really used to configuring modem stuff.
It may be a hassle, but right now i'm knocked down to internet only during the morning at work. I live in the boonies without internet OR cable tv.

ctlq
Jun 21, 2005, 01:50 PM

Take a look at the .rtf that's in the folder I linked you - it has more complete instructions (including what to do w/ the modem script).

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks! No more computer for today but will look first thing in the morning! (Hopefully from a brand new PB!)

braaak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2005, 02:27 PM

I use my v710 as a modem through bluetooth. Works fine.

Here's some instructions.

http://www.yuma.ca/wordpress/index.p...hone-and-os-x/

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 22, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by braaak

Here's some instructions.

http://www.yuma.ca/wordpress/index.p...hone-and-os-x/

Awesome, those did the job for me.

joe
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by braaak
I'm trying to decide between Verizon+v710 or Cingular and one of their EDGE phones to use in the US and CA (I travel quite a lot). Would you (Stephanie / braaak) mind posting what your v710/Mac experience has been like so far? And just the v710 in general as a cell phone compared to other phones you've used.

I hope to eventually use the phone with a 12" PowerBook or iBook and dialup (via Bluetooth) for online bill pay, banking, email, etc. So I'm curious of what transfer rates you're getting on average through the v710? Do you have to pay extra for this feature or is it included in your plan? Satisfied overall? Any pros or cons?

thx

stephanielamb  (op)
Jun 25, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe
I'm trying to decide between Verizon+v710 or Cingular and one of their EDGE phones to use in the US and CA (I travel quite a lot). Would you (Stephanie / braaak) mind posting what your v710/Mac experience has been like so far? And just the v710 in general as a cell phone compared to other phones you've used.

I hope to eventually use the phone with a 12" PowerBook or iBook and dialup (via Bluetooth) for online bill pay, banking, email, etc. So I'm curious of what transfer rates you're getting on average through the v710? Do you have to pay extra for this feature or is it included in your plan? Satisfied overall? Any pros or cons?

thx
I'm pretty happy with my choice!!

Because i've been with Verizon for 2 years, I got this phone for free after a $50 rebate (with my new every 2 credit)

I get a basic 450 minute/mo unlimited night and weekend/free verizon to verizon calls. It's $39.99 a month here. I don't know how Cingular charges. If you ask some friends in the area, one of the providers may have better service than the other.

Personally, i'm loving the phone. People say some of the Bluetooth features are crippled, but the internet is nice. Verizon's internet service only uses airtime. It's sposed to run 144k though I haven't tested it or adjusted some of the settings I could. So basically, after 9 and on weekends, free internet.

No real cons so far.

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2005, 08:41 PM

Sweet. I'm switching to Verizon and getting the V710 for -$25.01 after rebates

Thanks for the link to the modem hookup

braaak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe

thx
The speed goes from 56k with bursts up to 144k, but i'd say it averages closer to 56 than 144. Good enough for web browsing and email.

Originally Posted by stephanielamb
Awesome, those did the job for me.
If you want to enable isync through bluetooth give this a try.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50501151747917

This works with the latest phone firmware and tiger. It worked for me and I was able to sync my address book and calendar.

DarwinX
Jul 11, 2005, 10:56 PM

Anyone got the answer just to be clear on whether or not this is an additional charge or just uses airtime? Thanks in advance!

DarwinX
Jul 13, 2005, 02:40 PM

I hate to be bumping this, but nobody has any input on whether this is an additional cost per month?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 10:32 PM

it just uses airtime. no additional charge.

DarwinX
Jul 17, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
it just uses airtime. no additional charge.
Thanks for the reply dude. My friend and I were at a Verizon store and they let us actually use a V710 to try make it work with our laptops but we didn't have any luck. Do you need to do the firmware change that some are referring to on some sites?

Thanks in advance!

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Thanks for the reply dude. My friend and I were at a Verizon store and they let us actually use a V710 to try make it work with our laptops but we didn't have any luck. Do you need to do the firmware change that some are referring to on some sites?

Thanks in advance!
I have the E815 but my roommate had the V710, and he set everything up. He did not need to do a firmware update. Here is a website with info in how to:
http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000189.php
He says you NEED Panther, but that was before Tiger, so it should be OK. If you need info on how to make iSync sync Contacts and iCal stuff, here is another good website:
I hope this helps.

DarwinX
Jul 19, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
I have the E815 but my roommate had the V710, and he set everything up. He did not need to do a firmware update. Here is a website with info in how to:
http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000189.php
He says you NEED Panther, but that was before Tiger, so it should be OK. If you need info on how to make iSync sync Contacts and iCal stuff, here is another good website:
I hope this helps.
Dude, thanks for the reply!!! I hope to try it out again soon with the link you sent.

Have you gotten this or anything like it to work on your e815? I'm torn between the two. Even if you haven't, how do you like the e815?

Thanks again!

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 10:50 AM

I have the 815 and I love it! Much nicer than the 710 I did have. Verizon is phasing out the 710, and the 815 is the replacement for it. I can set it to surf the internet on my PB using bluetooth. The new iSync update makes it recognize this phone.

Try going to Howardforums.com and Yahoo groups "maccellphone" and "motorola815" for lots of info!

Good luck!
Mary

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2005, 02:33 PM

The 815 is pretty cool. It's my first bluetooth phone, but I love that I can Sync my contacts, calendar updates, and surf the net for free all with the phone! Howardforums.com has some good info on the 815. The only difference my roommate and I could tell with the 710 vs 815 was the amount of internal memory is higher in the 815, and the camera was slightly better in the 815. Also the battery life is much improved in the 815. If you can, get the 815, but if those other things don't matter, and you just need bluetooth and a phone, save some money and get the 710.

DarwinX
Jul 21, 2005, 09:31 AM

gururafiki and skybolt

Thank you both. My friend was able to get the V710 to work last night using the Sprint PCS modem script instead of the generic Motorola set. Crazy....all that time spent in the Verizon store and we were one change away! Oh well, can't wait to go back and show them it works! Them and their "It's not setup to support that, let alone on a Mac."

Thanks again for all the help. Proves once again this is a great forum. I hope to get my e815 soon!
( Last edited by DarwinX; Aug 10, 2005 at 03:19 PM. )

DarwinX
Aug 10, 2005, 03:19 PM

I got my e815 working just beautifully. Thanks for all the help gentlemen. This thing is sweet!

mjw610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 08:25 PM

i am trying to set up my E815, i followed the directions and am able to connect to my aol dial up, but really dont want to use that, i still can not use the #777 can someone help with that?

DarwinX
Aug 15, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mjw610
i am trying to set up my E815, i followed the directions and am able to connect to my aol dial up, but really dont want to use that, i still can not use the #777 can someone help with that?
What modem script are you using? Also, did you enable the Dial-up networking on your e815?

mjw610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 11:59 AM

i tired both the motorola generic and the sprint PCS. do i have to enable dial up in the phone its self? like i said before i was able to dial up using my phone to my AOL service

DarwinX
Aug 15, 2005, 12:49 PM

i tired both the motorola generic and the sprint PCS. do i have to enable dial up in the phone its self? like i said before i was able to dial up using my phone to my AOL service
I think the only missing link is then to enable Dial-Up-Networking on your phone. Open your phone and enter the digits that spell out 'DIALUP' without quotes obviously. Do this as fast as possible and you will know when it works for a prompt will come up stating "Dial-Up-Networking Enabled". After you see this, use the Sprint PCS modem script and you should be set.

mjw610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 01:06 PM

it seams that no matter how fast i type it nothing happens. it just waits for me to hit send

DarwinX
Aug 15, 2005, 02:04 PM

it seams that no matter how fast i type it nothing happens. it just waits for me to hit send
OOOPS. My bad, sorry...haha, do ## then type dialup. That should do it! Sorry again!

mjw610
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 07:19 PM

thanks for the help, i got it connected using #777. now does anyone know how my account is being charged when i use it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules