Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1.5GHz vs. 1.67GHz?

1.5GHz vs. 1.67GHz?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 05:44 AM

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a PB in a couple of weeks. I've just noticed that I can get the combo drive 15" PB built to order, and give it a superdrive and a 100GB hard drive, and this comes up cheaper than the superdrive 15" PB!

The only difference I can see between the two (which I can't BTO) seems to be the processor speed - the combodrive one has 1.5GHz, and the superdrive one has 1.67GHz.

In terms of day to day performance, how much difference would an extra .17GHz give me? I'm planning on having at least 1.5GB of RAM in the PB anyways.. so I'm thinking the difference will be rather negligable. What do you think?

Thanks!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

stephanielamb
Sep 17, 2005, 08:39 AM

I'd just go for the 1.5ghz then....... unless you want to upgrade the video memory. This is only an option for the 1.67ghz.
Also, I totally don't know if this applies for you or not since you're in NZ, but it would apply to any American student reading this post...
If you buy the 1.5ghz powerbook, sure, it's cheaper even with upgrades. But if you buy the 1.67ghz powerbook, there's some deal going on right now where you essentially get your AppleCare for $5, making it a way better deal.

david_copperfield
Sep 17, 2005, 08:39 AM

In my opinion, if you are not doing programming job and let the computer calculate for 100000000000000
times, the difference is rather negligible.

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 01:33 PM

It doesn't matter what programs you run on it the 107Mhz difference will never show, those are just numbers, it's like Intel, their processor updates are so small that it won't matter if you get the latest unless it's at least a difference of 500Mhz.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2005, 01:35 PM

the difference is not noticable....but remember with the 1.67 you get more VRAM and the choice to run a 30" cinema display from it...but other than that, there's no difference.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ctsport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
the difference is not noticable....but remember with the 1.67 you get more VRAM and the choice to run a 30" cinema display from it...but other than that, there's no difference.
Just to make it absolutely clear, with the 1.67 you get the OPTION of getting more VRAM, without dishing another 100+ you get the same vid card/ram as the 1.5.

I had the same dilema two weeks ago with my 15'' PB purchse and decided on a stock 1.5 because although I would realy like the 128mb vram for more future proofing, I don't think its worth the price jump. If it was an available option on the 1.5 I would have sprung for it but I am not willing to pay $2-300 extra for a .17 speedbump and a superdrive and still have to add another $100+ for the extra vidram that I would like but do not need. After 2 weeks I am really happy I made my purchase, with the money I saved I will be ordering a iPod nano and a new cell phone or a nana and an external HD.

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 07:42 PM

i got the 1.67 with everything upgraded, that i couldnt do myself. example VRAM. but RAM, super drive, hard drive. i skipped upgrading those parts only because i can upgrade to a new HD when 80 gigs is not enough, RAM i upgraded to 1 gig right away by adding a kingston 512, and super drive im so glad i didnt get because of all the problems they are having with the "superdrive". im looking into the Pioneer K05 to add DVD burning.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 11:57 PM

I did what enomehjashik did except I got the super-drive also. I went with a 1.67 so I could get the extra VRAM (which I can't upgrade later). I got the 80GB drive (which I *can* upgrade later). :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

jesset
Sep 18, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by stephanielamb
But if you buy the 1.67ghz powerbook, there's some deal going on right now where you essentially get your AppleCare for $5, making it a way better deal.
Where is this deal? I can't seem to find any mention of it online.

Forum Links
Forum Rules