Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Revision B Is Here

Revision B Is Here
Mac Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 01:33 AM

I went to the Apple store and the guy who worked there told me that they have the new revision B Macbooks. The new revision eliminates some problems the revision A had and also told me that the heat issue was fixed. So does who waited are in luck, just make sure that when you buy your new Macbook it says revision B.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 01:44 AM

noooo!!!

oh well, i can live with the heat... just as long as rev B temps are within range of mine
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:58 AM

I'm calling BS on this one. If its true, then I will send my 1 week old replcement back for a rev B
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Mac Man  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 02:06 AM

Yes its 100% true.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 02:23 AM

I'm not saying you're lying about what the Genius said, but I'm calling BS on the actual 'Genius'
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 02:56 AM

I think it won't be a new revision, a revision normally denotes some change in features. It's likely that newer models don't have as many issues as they refine the manufacturing process, isn't it?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 07:17 AM

"Make sure that ... it says revision B"

Okay. Excellent.

I'd like to see someone insist on disassembling a brand new MacBook before he buys it to check out the Revision - which, btw, is ONLY noted on the main logic board itself...

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:48 AM

So are we calling BS in this then?

masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 11:26 AM

Smells fishy. ...But I mostly hope that any heat fix is retroactive !!!!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
So are we calling BS in this then?
I am.

Especially after hearing all of the different times Apple allegedly did a new verison of the MacBook Pros and nothing (problem wise) ever changed...

Mac Man  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hey i didn't have to open the machine because the guy told me it was revision b itf you guys don't believe me call the Apple store or something.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 26, 2006, 12:02 PM

I think it is bull, apple doesn't come out with rev B's that fast.

my book gets hot but I am going to wait 6 months or so and then have apple replace the logic board.

"Hello, what have we here?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Man
Hey i didn't have to open the machine because the guy told me it was revision b itf you guys don't believe me call the Apple store or something.
Well do you have one of these 'revision B' MBs? and if so, how hot is it..?

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Man
I went to the Apple store and the guy who worked there told me that they have the new revision B Macbooks.
Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't creating a new revision mean adding a feature, better GPU, screen changes etc. Now apple typically advertises such, even if this a stealth update, they would have updated the apple store to reflect the new hardware.

So what did this salesman tell you about the differences between a revision a machine and a revision b?

I did not see any changes to the specifications at apple.com?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't creating a new revision mean adding a feature, better GPU, screen changes etc. Now apple typically advertises such, even if this a stealth update, they would have updated the apple store to reflect the new hardware.

So what did this salesman tell you about the differences between a revision a machine and a revision b?

I did not see any changes to the specifications at apple.com?
Not necessarily.

For the B&W G3s, there was a rev.A and rev.B, although you could only find out by looking at a serial number on the logic board.

More recently, the cooling system has changed on the high end PM G5 without official mention.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:31 PM

True "REVISIONS" will have a part number change... (for instance, the iSight is now at revision "C".

The Apple Store online still adds "MA255LL/A" part number to the cart for a white MacBook with superdrive... a revision "A" MacBook.

An iSight adds the "M8817LL/C" part number into the cart for a revision "C" product.

The Apple Store employee is an idiot. 1. Because he doesn't really know what he's talking about. And 2, because even if he did, he shouldn't be telling people. (At least not in a way where he's basically saying the earlier revision is having problems. The official Apple answer should be, "While the last revision was completely within Apple spec, there have been improvements made where possible in the second revision.")

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 01:35 PM

oh, just to add... Krypton is also right... there are slight changes made all the time to computers (anything with an assembly line for that matter) without calling them actual revisions... But if you were to count these as revisions, they could be in the hundreds...

Assembly lines are always being tweaked for efficiency and as better designs or solutions come out for different problems. (for instance, a different screw, a different magnet, a cheaper part, different amounts of chemicals used -thermal paste- , etc.)

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen
oh, just to add... Krypton is also right... there are slight changes made all the time to computers
True enough, but people's definition of Rev B here is a little different.

I think those who are waiting for a revision B machine are more likely wanting a different set of hardware and the bugs worked out. With that broader definition, this is not a true revision b machine.

Has apple tweaked the manufactoring process probably. Will they tweak it again, sure. I wouldn't be sureprised that apple updated the process a few times before we see an updated macbook, what what does that make the updated MB, a revision e?

For simplicity sake most people will be calling the next update revision b

Forum Links
Forum Rules