Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Will Mac users take over the EVE Online Universe?

Will Mac users take over the EVE Online Universe?
Sapphire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2008, 08:42 AM

Hi, I'm new to these boards and wondering where the EVE Online players are? Now that there is a reasonably stable mac client, Macophiles can fully participate in this galactic feast for the mind and senses.

Did I mention that I'm an addict?
Just Launched: Macs in EVE at http://eve-applecore.com

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2008, 04:51 PM

Not much has happened to the Mac client for months and months now, and the communication from the dev team has been sparse at best. For me the client crashes routinely, at least once or twice per session, there are graphical glitches everytime and the interface is feels sluggish. That's on a Mac Pro quad with a 8800 Geforce.

It's not fun having to get a new flight of T2 hammerheads every time I crash in a mission. And that's just on the carebear side. It's much worse crashing when you pvp and people are counting on you to do your part.

I do like the game though, mostly everything except the horrible UI. What were they thinking?

Sapphire  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2008, 06:26 AM

Your problem of crashing right in the middle of PvP reminded me of the travails we went through when Battlefield 1942 was our addiction. My SO and I purchased and installed so many hardware upgrades to play that game reliably on our PCs, we might as well have built three computers from the motherboard up. A year later when I started playing league matches with our clan, I actually did buy yet another gaming rig.

Now that EVE Online has taken over my discretionary time, I guess I feel lucky I haven't had to go through that all over again on the Mac. Sometimes it's luck of the draw ...
Just Launched: Macs in EVE at http://eve-applecore.com

lenox
Senior User
Sep 16, 2008, 11:41 AM

I tried it - looks like one of those WINE ports? Is this the case? Seemed buggy and unpolished.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Forum Links
Forum Rules