Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > iMovie & Olympus camedia

iMovie & Olympus camedia
muglet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 06:29 AM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if its possible to upload video clips from my Olympus camedia digital camera to iMovie? And if you can - how?!

I have put the video clips onto my camedia programme but you can't do all those funky things that you can on iMovie (which is very boring! ). I've also left them on the camera for now just in case inspiration strikes

Can any of you out there help me? (though I'm probably beyond that)

Cheers,
Muglet

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 09:01 AM

With the camera connected, go the the Finder and there should be a disk mounted (NONAME most likely).

If the movie clip is in MOV format, drag and drop it to your Movie folder (or where ever you prefer to save it).

Open iMovie and import it. (iMovie 3 allows importing .mov files; I can't remember if iMovie 2 does).

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 11:18 AM

Thank you very much!! I shall go and try that right away.

Cheers!
Muglet

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 01:30 PM

Oh b-other!! I've just done all the bits you said and it looks like its going to let me import the movie but nothing happens!

Help! It is also saying the camera is disconnected (which it isn't) could this be the problem? Although its getting the image from the desktop and opening it through the iMovie and quicktime thingy.

Any other suggestions? I'm currently downloading Quicktime 6 in the hopes that maybe the quicktime on the computer at the moment is missing a vital component to make all this work (but I doubt I'm that lucky)

Muglet

msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 07:22 PM

OK, let's try a few more things.

First, make sure your camera does not go to sleep while connected to your mac. If you've got an AC adapter, use it. If it goes to sleep while connected, the result is the same as unplugging the cable w/o dismounting the camera from the Finder.

I'm not sure what you mean by the QuickTime thingy. You shouldn't need QuickTime to import the video. Drag the .mov file from the camera to your desktop and eject the camera.

Before importing into iMovie, double-click the .mov file. If QuickTime plays the file, you at least know that it's in a useable format.

When you say nothing happens, does the import dialog box show a progress bar?

This shouldn't be this hard.

What version of iMovie are you using? Please provide other information about your setup, OS version, hardware, etc. The usual stuff.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2003, 05:11 PM

Hello again,

It�s the 2.0.1 version of iMovie and I�m on Mac OS9. I�ve dragged all the .mov files to the desktop and they show up when I try to create a new project and import the file but aren�t highlighted so I can�t import them. The only one it would let me import and use was a .jpg file!! Not very helpful!

Something must be wrong with my quicktime player too because I�ve tried opening the files and it says it can�t play them because the player is missing. Confused? I am totally!! When I drag the .mov file straight onto the iMovie button it asks if I want to open the file using the iMovie and Quicktime translator but still nothing happens � no dialogue box or anything.

I thought I must be getting somewhere when the files actually came up on the list but no, so near yet so far

Thanks for trying to help me sort this out,
Cheers,
Muglet

Forum Links
Forum Rules