Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari's busted - How to fix?

Safari's busted - How to fix?
topcat
Nov 19, 2004, 04:18 PM

I recently updated to System 10.3.6 and Safari 1.2.4 (v125.11) using Software Update. The update seemed to go smoothly, but now I have a problem accessing a web site that's important for my work. Only this web site seems to be affected. No problems with others. And it's specific for Safari on my computer. I can access it OK using Explorer 4.7 (Ugh!) from my computer and using Safari 1.2.4/System 10.3.6 from other computers.

The symptoms are that most of the page is downloaded but nothing appears in the window. The status bar reads "Loading http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...cgi?db=PubMed, completed 4 out of 5 items". If I look at the Activity window, it shows that one item is not downloaded: "http://graceland.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/coreweb/javascript/popupmenu2/popupmenu2_5iens6.js 0 bytes of ?". If I manually stop loading, most of the page appears, but some graphics are missing and the javascript menus are either missing or do not work. In the Activity window, it now shows that downloading of the javascript file and some gif's was cancelled.

There are no messages in the console or system logs.

So I'm guessing that either the Safari app is damaged or javascript is damaged on my machine. Tried downloading Safari, but only v. 1.2 is available. It downloaded but would not install. I have no idea about how to replace javascript.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 04:23 PM

tried clearing the cache?
cpac

topcat  (op)
Nov 20, 2004, 04:16 PM

After persisting for 2 days, the problem went away on its own. Go figure!

Forum Links
Forum Rules