Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Security Camera

Security Camera
georgeacrump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 01:47 PM

I am looking to purchase a secuirty camera that I would like to connect to my iMac. I have seen some that are wirelesess and only record while there is motion. Does anyone have any experiance with these?

thanks,

George

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 10:36 AM

sorry, no real experience, but i'm considering this software myself...

security spy

brianb
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 12:38 PM

Generally the recording software will be what triggers the recording. Most Digital based systems look for a change in pixel color and when enough pixels change that is what tells the system to record. If you are looking for something simple and just sitting at your computer you can try any firewire camera and BTV software as a cheap choice. Otherwise if you are wanting to put the camera farther than 30' from your computer you need to look at a camera that can be wired with composite video and then have an input device of some sort on your computer.

What is the scenerio you wnat to set the camera up for?
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

georgeacrump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by brianb:
What is the scenerio you wnat to set the camera up for?
Basically I am looking for a nanny-cam sort of situation. I was looking at the WiFi product from D-Link, but am not clear on if they support the MAC or not.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=296

Thanks,

George

brianb
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 07:06 PM

looks like the recording software for this camera is Windows only but you should be able to use the live view of the webbrowser without any problem
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 01:21 AM

Try some searches at macupdate.com or versiontracker.com for isight or security camera and you may find some software that you can use with the camera you mention instead of the windows only version it comes with.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:45 AM

Well, my system is kinda "thrown together", but it works great.

First, is the camera. I selected a 1.2GHz Mini Wireless Night Vision Camera from ComputerGeeks.com (not this exact item). Mine is Color/Infrared with audio.

I pulled an XLR8 InterView I retired years ago for the video capture portion. It's 320x240, but it works fine.

Finally, I am using BTVPro for recording. It supports motion detection as well as any other means of recording video. I use motion detection.

I record 24/7 without issue. The coolest part is that BTVPro timestamps each frame so I have exact data were there an incident to report.

georgeacrump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was lookig for. -George

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Well, my system is kinda "thrown together", but it works great.

First, is the camera. I selected a 1.2GHz Mini Wireless Night Vision Camera from ComputerGeeks.com (not this exact item). Mine is Color/Infrared with audio.

I pulled an XLR8 InterView I retired years ago for the video capture portion. It's 320x240, but it works fine.

Finally, I am using BTVPro for recording. It supports motion detection as well as any other means of recording video. I use motion detection.

I record 24/7 without issue. The coolest part is that BTVPro timestamps each frame so I have exact data were there an incident to report.

Forum Links
Forum Rules