Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac G5 Startup Chime

Power Mac G5 Startup Chime
strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 05:08 PM

Has anyone heard the Startup Chime for the Power Mac G5, is it the same as the previous Power Macs?

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by strategem9:
Has anyone heard the Startup Chime for the Power Mac G5, is it the same as the previous Power Macs?
Yeah! I've been wondering the exact same thing. Seems like such an obvious thing that a true Mac-head would check out, but nary a word!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2003, 11:49 PM

Same.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2003, 02:30 AM

one word: LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

but then again they could always change it before they ship.... =D
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:21 AM

Unless they can get a sample of Steve saying: "Muhahahaha, bow down before the living God" or "The problem with Microsoft is that they have no Class. I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way..." or something at startup, I'm kinda happy with the current chime...

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:
one word: LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

but then again they could always change it before they ship.... =D
I think the G5 we have all seen are still running a beta firmware
The Chime could still change !

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 11:15 AM

agreed. A new generation of PowerMacs deserve a new chime!
F = ma

mfessenden
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 11:34 AM

Just curious, has anyone seen one in an Apple store (haven't been over to mine in a while)...

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 02:36 PM

I'm not buying one unless the chime changes.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 04:28 PM

Of course look at the backlash when they changed the bootup from a smiling mac to the apple logo. I'm thinking that they change it.

Mike

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 07:54 PM

hmmph...

I don't see any good reason to change it.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
I'm not buying one unless the chime changes.
Ok, dualie runs $3k. Apple probably makes a few hundred bucks on the machine. Apple should do a contest where they give away $300 for the best startup sound an employee makes in their free time that is less than xKB and has a duration of less than 3 seconds. They have a better startup sound, some fun, and they broke even on it because sideus buys a new one because of the sound.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:59 PM

So where is the speaker on the new G5's anyway?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
So where is the speaker on the new G5's anyway?
I was wondering the same thing.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I was wondering the same thing.
Front panel, at the top, under the CD door

Cipher13
Jul 2, 2003, 10:32 AM

They can't just "change" the chime.

They can alter it a LITTLE, but they can't go and replace it or change it or anything.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
They can't just "change" the chime.

They can alter it a LITTLE, but they can't go and replace it or change it or anything.
How come they can't change it completely?

-Q-
Jul 2, 2003, 10:50 AM

I agree with Cipher. They can't change it. They can improve it (and put in a 5.1 version for those of us with surround speakers ) but it needs to stay. The 'bwong' makes me happy when I turn on my machine.

KaosDG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 11:15 AM

personally I like the startup chime of my SGI.

Or they could just mess with us, and make it a neat little *boop* like x86 PC's

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 11:25 AM

Ohhh, I see, you guys don't want Apple to change the sound, but it's not impossible to do.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 11:41 AM

They should replace it with the opening chord from "A Hard Day's Night."
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
They should replace it with the opening chord from "A Hard Day's Night."
Not a bad idea but Apple would have to get permission from The (remaining) Beatles to use it.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 12:58 PM

I was a big fan of the smiling Mac on boot up, but I really love the new minimal Apple logo that was introduced with 10.2..

As for the chime, that is the one thing I *don't* want to change. Well, they can change it a little, but I think the overall effect should remain the same. Maybe make it a little more "intense".. Moooore baaaaasss..

They can take away my fruit menu, they can take away my happy Mac, but the better not take away my chime or else I am moving to Windows!

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2003, 01:53 PM

Question: Why is it exactly that the startup chime has to be of such low quality. Is there a limit as to how large the sound file can be?

I personally love the chime, but would love to have it replaced with a higher quality version of the same chord. I'm talking full orchestra, just to play that one note. 5.1 is a fantastic idea, 2.0 would be great as well. The sound we have now is classic, but it's always sounded really scratchy and compressed to me.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Not a bad idea but Apple would have to get permission from The (remaining) Beatles to use it.
I know, and it would never happen. Just a joke really.

It'd be funny if they brought back the original Mac chime ... here's this awesome looking steel mesh hardware on your desk, and you hit the start button and out comes this limp little "ding!" ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
Question: Why is it exactly that the startup chime has to be of such low quality. Is there a limit as to how large the sound file can be?

I personally love the chime, but would love to have it replaced with a higher quality version of the same chord. I'm talking full orchestra, just to play that one note. 5.1 is a fantastic idea, 2.0 would be great as well. The sound we have now is classic, but it's always sounded really scratchy and compressed to me.
Well, I don't know why people are so attached to the current chime. It's not as if the chime has been the same since the Mac intro in '84. Go download Mactracker and you can listen to the chimes over time from different machines. (Or, if you're a packrat like me, boot your Plus, IIfx, Quadra 610 or PowerBook 180 and listen to the chimes ) I'm quite surprised this chime has lasted as many years as it has.

As for the low quality, the chime has always been in the Mac's ROM, which is hardware and space-limited. Now the hardware is less limiting, but the tone is still in what is now firmware; one can start a NewWorld Mac with no media and it'll still "bong" on power-up. In any case, the chime has been evolving, I'm sure a new one won't be too different from the current one.

--Josh

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 2, 2003, 03:00 PM

Not to nitpick or anything, but the chime is not one note, as somebody mentioned, it's a chord.

I don't remember which chord, but Ill tell ya if I break out my keyboard later on.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 04:17 PM

I'm thinking fan noise as the startup sound. Imagine the look on our faces.

I just want my powerbook to snore when it sleeps.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 2, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
I'm thinking fan noise as the startup sound.
Wasn't this a built in feature on the mirror macs ?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 05:27 PM

Who turns there computers on and off enough to care anyway?

It could play la-cocaracha for all I care.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 05:32 PM

That Zarvox voice should say hello.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 06:33 PM

I liked the quadra's startup chime, It was.. umm.. wind based? Anyway, it was nice.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 2, 2003, 06:39 PM

I'm constantly turning my computer on/off.

Switching from OSX to 9 and back again, using various apps.

And anyhow, doesn't RAM get fragmented when using OS 9 ? (im not sure how X operates)

Is there a program available for OS9 that cleans the RAM without doing a cold start ?

When I'm about to start a project using a heavy duty app, i like to have a clean slate and start from scratch..

People who say they haven't turned off their machines in years, baffle me.

Is this ram fragmentation thing a myth ?

I could swear ive read about it a few places.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

And anyhow, doesn't RAM get fragmented when using OS 9 ? (im not sure how X operates)
Memory does get fragmented in OS 9.
Memory does not get fragmented in OS X.

And, yes, it's true. Restarting an OS X Mac is the exception rather than the rule.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 06:52 PM

I remember the Quadra 840av/660av sounds, best I've heard. I believe they use the 48KHz output from the enhanced AV.

The optical output on the new G5's could bring the 5.1 startup sound in Dolby Digital. That would be challenging I imagine, they'd have to initiate a broadcast of the digital signal with something stored in a chip. [Edit: this sounds easy: broadcast a chip signal to another circuit. What I meant was that it might not be as easy to broadcast the sound that is to be sent through the optical port as what they currently do, which goes analog.]

About 8 years ago I thought about trying to determine if someone could make an IC that would allow someone to install the Mac startup sound into their car (this was around the time when I had a StyleWriter II installed in my trunk, a cellular modem for use with my analog Motorola Gold Series Flip Phone, and a Newton that could receive email and print from the driver's seat at 80MPH). Cars have some sound at startup, but a full fidelity startup sound (with adjustable volume) would be excellent. Like with Macs, it can't be too long or too loud.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

glennmac
Jul 3, 2003, 01:37 AM

Using the opening chord of "Hard Day's Night" is a good idea. The Beatle residue would not have to give permission because the chime is not subject to copyright laws. Copyright is only for lesser things such as art, literature and music.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 01:41 AM

Memory does get fragmented in OS 9.
Memory does not get fragmented in OS X.
Memory does still leak in OSX though which sux.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 03:34 AM

Actually, I think they would need to get permission from Michael Jackson. He needs money from what I've heard, I'm thinking they could strike a deal.

MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Not to nitpick or anything, but the chime is not one note, as somebody mentioned, it's a chord.

I don't remember which chord, but Ill tell ya if I break out my keyboard later on.

The startup chime always sounded like the opening chord
of "Live And Let Die" (PM & Wings)....

Start your Mac up, then right after the chime sing: "When you were young and your heart was an open book." I swear, it's true!

say, maybe there's a Beatle conspiracy thing going on here...

benb
Jul 3, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by osiris:
The startup chime always sounded like the opening chord
of "Live And Let Die" (PM & Wings)....

Start your Mac up, then right after the chime sing: "When you were young and your heart was an open book." I swear, it's true!

say, maybe there's a Beatle conspiracy thing going on here...

That is because it is either C or G. Either old Macs (non-PPC) were C and the new ones G, or vice versa.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2003, 05:52 PM

G5 Startup Sound needs to be a well mastered stereo version of Garth and Wayne saying "schwing!"

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 06:20 PM

I'm thinking the G5 sound start up "chime" should be a jet flying over! Yeah, that's it, a jet.

idyll
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 09:38 PM

I was hoping the G5s had no speaker on them. Although I don't necessarily hate the chime, it can really wake my family members up at 3 am.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by benb:
That is because it is either C or G. Either old Macs (non-PPC) were C and the new ones G, or vice versa.
New ones are G.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
I was hoping the G5s had no speaker on them. Although I don't necessarily hate the chime, it can really wake my family members up at 3 am.
The sound of course is adjustable and shouldn't wake your family up if you don't have your other sounds turned up too loud.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jul 3, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
Plug in a set of headphones, simple.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Plug in a set of headphones, simple.
Yeah, should you turn off your computer during the day, that would be the best option to ensure no waking, though most people I know have external speakers with adjustable sound output levels.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 11:15 PM

Just unplug the internal speaker, I know it isn't reccomended by some people but it is a quick and easy way to axe the noise
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 01:44 PM

You absolutly could do that, but I would recommend plugging in some sort of adapter with a 1/4" connection or some headphones (or dead headphones with the cord cut off). That way you can always just unplug it.

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2003, 03:13 PM

It would be cool (and sad, but hey) to have the choice of different chimes. Personally id pay to have a lil burst of the banjo music from deliverance on start up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules