Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun...

World of Warcraft Beta Test has begun... (Page 3)
Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 11:32 AM

i'll just drool...

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 02:07 PM

Hey fellow beta testers. Couple of questions.

1) When I type messages into the console, are they heard by only those within earshot? I ask because when replying to others, it seems that nobody hears me. At first I thought it was because I was just talking (/s) instead of yelling (/y). However the Y creates differently colored text, so I know that it's not what everybody else is using for their general communications.

2) When a rogue goes stealth, do they dissapear from other player's view? Or can they still be seen similar to how ghost players show up?

3) Where is the engineer trainer in Teledrassil?

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 02:08 PM

Alright, maroma, how's the guild coming along?

My guess is that we need a name before you buy the Charter. Let's say post your name ideas here by Friday. We vote over the weekend, and then you buy the charter and get signatures on Monday.

Sound good?

These are the names people have mentioned thus far:

Apple
Think Different
An Apple product code name
Guild Bondi
El Capitans
Kangas
The Pippins

Post your ideas by Friday!

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:

1) When I type messages into the console, are they heard by only those within earshot? I ask because when replying to others, it seems that nobody hears me. At first I thought it was because I was just talking (/s) instead of yelling (/y). However the Y creates differently colored text, so I know that it's not what everybody else is using for their general communications.
I think that when you type messages, it shows up to all players in the same area as you.

2) When a rogue goes stealth, do they dissapear from other player's view? Or can they still be seen similar to how ghost players show up?

Yes, the player is visible to others and himself, it looks like a ghost form but without sparkly stuff floating around.

3) Where is the engineer trainer in Teledrassil?

No idea.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 03:27 PM

1) It goes like this:

/s /say -- This says something to everyone else in your immediate vicinity (40 yards or something)

/y /yell -- This says something to everyone in your region of the world. Is considered spam by most and should almost never be used.

/w <username> -- Directly messages another user

/1 /2 /3 /4 -- Says something over a certain channel. By default, /1 says something on the "General" channel while /2 says something over the "Trade" channel.

2) I don't think phillryu is right. When I see someone go stealth, they vanish completely from my screen. And unless you are also a ghost, ghosts are completely invisible.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 04:03 PM

To the questions, Turias answered #1.

#2) When a Rogue goes stealth, he can be seen by you only if he's in your group. If he's not in your group, he will vanish. If he's in your group he'll turn transparent, similar to ghost form.

#3) No idea either.

As for the guild, all I need is a name and 9 other players to sign the Charter. I think we can get 9 easy, even if we have to recruit other Mac players not on MacNN. I'm not sure about all of the icons available, but I'll try to pick one that is appropriate. And just an FYI - save up 1 gold for a Tabard. Gotta represent!

I should be on tonight, around or after 7pm Pacific time. I've run into a few of you already, and have added you to my friends list.

As far as a name goes, of the names listed I kinda like "El Capitans". Has a nice ring to it, and is leet enough that only Mac-heads will get it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 04:42 PM

"El Capitans" sounds cool

Will I be able to join if I am on the other Continent? I'm a gnome. (OwlBoy)

-Owl

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 05:35 PM

Count me in on the guild as well! "El Capitans" is the coolest, imho, so far. Thanks for the chat and rogue replies!

Is there 100 silver per 1 gold?

The reason I ask about the rogue is that I was going to join a group to run one of the cave/treasure missions but they were full. So I stealthed and followed them. They cleared off all of the Furblogs, allowing me to get the loot as well.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself up until they teleported out of the cave. I made it out but I figured they had seen me and figured they'd show mr. tag along they could get the last laugh.

Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 10:27 PM

Count me in on the guild as well! "El Capitans" is the coolest, imho, so far. Thanks for the chat and rogue replies!

Is there 100 silver per 1 gold?

The reason I ask about the rogue is that I was going to join a group to run one of the cave/treasure missions but they were full. So I stealthed and followed them. They cleared off all of the Furblogs, allowing me to get the loot as well.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself up until they teleported out of the cave. I made it out but I figured they had seen me and figured they'd show mr. tag along they could get the last laugh.
Hah! That's pretty smooth! That sort of thing isn't really frowned upon unless you tag along and then steal the loot, not allowing the others to get it until it respawns.

And yes, 100 silver = 1 gold.

OwlBoy - As long as you are Alliance (Human, Dwarf, Gnome or Night Elf) you will be able to join.

I'm finally home from work.. time to play!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2004, 10:44 PM

Count me in... sometime in one week

My username will going to be AdamBetts.

Can't wait to be WoWized soon

Saramin
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 11:12 PM

Anyone running this game on the new 12' Powerbooks? I'm curious to see if my future machine will be able to handle it with any degree of speed.

Thanks. ^^

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 03:27 AM

I am on a Rev A 12 in PB, 867MHZ 640mb Ram.

It runs fine in the out door areas. The Cities (big ones) give me a good deal of lag, but not so much that I can't play. One dungeon/cave I was in also gave me this lag.

So, you will have a better laptop than me, so you will get better results.

Make sure you have as much ram as you can afford!

-Owl

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 10:23 AM

Damn, maroma, you were signing on and off like crazy, last night. Crashes? Connection problems? My log was almost completely full of:

Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Damn, maroma, you were signing on and off like crazy, last night. Crashes? Connection problems? My log was almost completely full of:

Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off
Fluke has signed on
Fluke has signed off

Yeah, that was not fun. I was in The Wetlands, and trying to finish an underwater quest. I got into a crash loop while swimming. I would be swimming, then WoW would crash. Would log back in, and any forward, backward or lateral movement would crash me again. I eventually had to use my hearthstone to get back to the Inn, and go back and try again. I did this for about an hour or so. The Wetlands are known to be very buggy, and I can confirm that it indeed is!

But I'm done with the water quests (thank the lord!), and I'm trying to finish all the Wetlands quests so I can leave that buggy place behind.

So, we should be starting the guild this Friday or Saturday. I think all those who want in the guild should post in the Character Thread with their info so we can get a good idea how many we got. Even if you don't want in the guild, you should post in there anyway. Those who want in should say so in their post.

As far as a name, so far I think the most popular choice is "El Capitans". Unless I hear differently before Friday night, I'll assume that's what we're going with.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
As far as a name, so far I think the most popular choice is "El Capitans". Unless I hear differently before Friday night, I'll assume that's what we're going with.
To throw a wrench in the works, I vote "Think Different". But, unless some more people back me up, "El Capitans" it is.

But... shouldn't it be "Los Capitans"?
( Last edited by Turias; May 13, 2004 at 08:39 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 09:15 PM

To throw a wrench in the works, I vote "Think Different". But, unless some more people back me up, "El Capitans" it is.

But... shouldn't it be "Los Capitans"?
Hmmm.. good point. Well, let's have some others weigh in on this. Anyone?

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 02:27 PM

(In the interest of keeping the other Character thread clean (good point Turius ), I've brought this issue over here.)

I still don't have my character... because the download won't work.
So Cipher, lets figure out your downloading problem. I'm sure we can get it worked out.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 03:04 PM

(In the interest of keeping the other Character thread clean (good point Turius ), I've brought this issue over here.)

So Cipher, lets figure out your downloading problem. I'm sure we can get it worked out.
I still think it's a location problem. Cipher, aren't you in Australia? The beta is US and Korea only, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Blizzard's WoW downloader does an IP lookup to make sure that you are either in the US or Korea before it allows you to download.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 03:05 PM

And come on, people. Does no one have any thoughts on the guild name?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 03:30 PM

And come on, people. Does no one have any thoughts on the guild name?
A Few Good Men (AFGM) ?

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
A Few Good Men (AFGM) ?

Ehhh, not really Apple-related. Also, we definitely want hawt chiX0rz in our guild, and the "Men" part might turn them away.

Let's get this name picked out!

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 03:50 PM

Time is-a-tickin'! I'm hoping to start the guild this weekend some time if we settle on a name. And get 10 people of course.

So, this is a call for those who want in the guild. Raise your hand! Just post here and say "Yes, I'd like to be in the coolest Mac only guild in the World!" And include the character name you are using.

<raises hand>

So far it looks like we have these people interested:

Maroma (Fluke)
Turias (Thalduin)
Q (GaretJax)
OwlBoy (OwlBoy)
MaxPower (Evilyn or BoomZilla?)
cSurfr (Lindyan or Lelyen?) - are you playing Alliance?
Adam Betts (AdamBetts)
phillryu (Psiona) - are you interested in joining?

Did I miss anyone? Looks like we only need a couple more to start the guild!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 04:18 PM

So far it looks like we have these people interested:

Maroma (Fluke)
Turias (Thalduin)
Q (GaretJax)
OwlBoy (OwlBoy)
MaxPower (Evilyn or BoomZilla?)
cSurfr (Lindyan or Lelyen?) - are you playing Alliance?
Adam Betts (AdamBetts)
phillryu (Psiona) - are you interested in joining?
phillryu will definitely be in. Adam Iser and his girlfriend (Psiona) should get in around the same time I do. I think that's enough

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 05:33 PM

phillryu will definitely be in. Adam Iser and his girlfriend (Psiona) should get in around the same time I do. I think that's enough
Yeah, I'm not too worried about getting enough people for the guild. I'm more concerned over getting us a good Mac-related name.

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I'm not too worried about getting enough people for the guild. I'm more concerned over getting us a good Mac-related name.
Me too. So lets get an organized voting going. Here are the choices as of now:

[1] Apple
[2] Think Different
[3] Guild Bondi
[4] El Capitans
[5] Kangas
[6] The Pippins

I would be happy with either "El Capitans" or "Think Different", from the choices that are up there. My brain is fried from being at work, so I can't think of any others.

Cast your vote. If there are any other ideas, I'll add them to this post.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 06:32 PM

[7] The Crazy Ones
[8] The Round Pegs

(Taken from the Apple Think Different page)

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 06:32 PM

So phillryu's character isn't named Psiona? Psiona is his girlfriend's character's name? I'm just trying to get everyone's character names correct. I'm not sure exactly how the charter signing works, but just in case I have to enter all the names, I want to get them right.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 06:33 PM

So phillryu's character isn't named Psiona? Psiona is his girlfriend's character's name? I'm just trying to get everyone's character names correct. I'm not sure exactly how the charter signing works, but just in case I have to enter all the names, I want to get them right.
Charter signing is done in game through a trade-like screen. You shouldn't have to enter anything.

Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 06:55 PM

Charter signing is done in game through a trade-like screen. You shouldn't have to enter anything.
Ahh.. so they have to be online in order to sign. That just gives me a good excuse to spend more time in the game.

Psiona
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 10:53 PM

He's got a druid in my name I am gonna use the name Zaeon when I play. Probably a human Paladin. Adam (Iser, not Betts ) and I will both be human we think, but we haven't cemented the classes. I would love to join the guild when you guys get it up and running. Nice to have us Mac Users together. And yeah I agree with not naming it a Few Good Men

-Q-
May 15, 2004, 12:40 AM

Of the ones suggested, I like 'The Crazy Ones' myself.

And to throw a few more out there:

Clarus Coalition
The Dog Cows
The Sosumi Sect

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Of the ones suggested, I like 'The Crazy Ones' myself.

And to throw a few more out there:

Clarus Coalition
The Dog Cows
The Sosumi Sect
I like the first 2.

Maharaja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 05:14 AM

what bout my the names i suggested... at least they are worth mentioning... right?
1. Light of Mac'Alliance
2. Shadow of Mac'Hordes

Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 05:54 AM

So far we have:

[1] Apple
[2] Think Different
[3] Guild Bondi
[4] El Capitans
[5] Kangas
[6] The Pippins
[7] The Crazy Ones
[8] The Round Pegs
[9] Clarus Coalition
[10] The Dog Cows
[11] The Sosumi Sect
[12] Light of Mac'Alliance
[13] Shadow of Mac'Hordes

(sorry Maharaja! missed yours before.)

I'm now diggin Clarus Coalition.

Cipher13
May 15, 2004, 06:08 AM

I've had a few words with Blizzard about it, and we still haven't figured out what the go is. The internationality doesn't seem to be an issue (nor something they're concerned about, as my acceptance to the program was via private invitation), but either way... I cannot seem to access the tracker. I've extracted the .torrent data from the installer itself to see if it was a flaw in the Blizzard downloader, and it would seem not.

I still think it's a location problem. Cipher, aren't you in Australia? The beta is US and Korea only, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Blizzard's WoW downloader does an IP lookup to make sure that you are either in the US or Korea before it allows you to download.
Well, I suppose that's quite possible (as maroma said above) but it seems unlikely. Lots of people have had the same problems as I, so it isn't isolated.

I'm still working on it, but alas, have had little success thus far.

BTW, I cast my vote for:

1. El/Los Capitans
2. Clarus Coalition

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Well, I suppose that's quite possible (as maroma said above) but it seems unlikely. Lots of people have had the same problems as I, so it isn't isolated.

I'm still working on it, but alas, have had little success thus far.
(That was me that said it)

Anyway, that's both strange and unfortunate. If we got an ok from Blizzard, I would consider mailing you the CDs. Unfortunately, by the time they got down there the next push of the beta would have most likely started.

Good luck getting it worked out. Have you tried downloading it to different computers? Try a few Macs and PCs, as the downloaded installer is for both platforms.

mr. burns
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 01:12 PM

so how well will this game play on a dual G4 500 with a radeon 9000?

not all who wander are lost.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by mr. burns:
so how well will this game play on a dual G4 500 with a radeon 9000?
My guess is not well. The beta currently has a min req of 1GHz, but some people have been able to squeeze playability out of 800+ MHz. I don't think the game heavily utilizes second processors except for the sound engine, so my guess would be that you're out of luck.

But, you can't be sure until Blizzard finishes the beta and adds the extra hardware optimizations that they are planning to do.

mr. burns
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 03:29 PM

arg. well, hopefully in a year or so when i get out of school, get a job and buy a G5 i can play the game. for now it's neverwinter nights.

not all who wander are lost.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2004, 05:22 PM

Any chance this is going to be an open beta any time soon? Meaning that poor people like me who didn't know about the registration will be able to freely download the game and beta test it until public release?

*hopes*

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
Any chance this is going to be an open beta any time soon? Meaning that poor people like me who didn't know about the registration will be able to freely download the game and beta test it until public release?

*hopes*
There will be an open beta. No one knows when it is going to start, though.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2004, 08:45 PM

I just want to make it known that I hate you guys.

Nah, hearing all this stuff is nifty, and besides, I was in the Shadowbane beta, so I've had my turn. Just a couple requests: More detail! More!

And, though I'm not in it, might I suggest a modification to one of the guild names?

Instead of The DogCows, make it the Reservoir DogCows....

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by G Barnett:

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 11:09 PM

The Reservoir DogCows
Best one yet.

-Q-
May 16, 2004, 01:12 AM

G Barnett
Bloody brilliant. I'm all for that.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2004, 02:59 AM

The Reservoir DogCows .......AHahaha haa ha ha I love it!

My votes in order of 'Giddyup!' to 'Ok that sounds good too!'. is

[1] The Reservoir DogCows
[2] El/Los Capitans
[3] Clarus Coalition

I'll be joining the guild with the character Evilynn, as I made hasty with the mouse clicks and enter key and deletinated BoomZilla.

Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2004, 03:20 AM

Well I think its safe to say that "The Reservoir DogCows" is the winner! I like it too. I will officially open the guild tomorrow (Sunday) probably late afternoon or early evening. So keep an eye out for me the next time you are logged on so you can sign the Charter.

In the event that this name is too long for a guild name, what's the 2nd choice?

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 10:23 AM

In the event that this name is too long for a guild name, what's the 2nd choice?
Well if "Reservoir DogCows" doesn't fit, I guess it's back here and back to the drawing boards.

I think it will, though.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2004, 10:39 AM

Also, if you have to pick a 2-4 letter acronym for the guild, definitely go with MOOF.

Cipher13
May 16, 2004, 11:13 AM

Alright, it's downloading! In 183 hours, I'll be ready.

Well, it won't take that long. BT likes to exaggerate like that.

Fingers crossed...

Forum Links
Forum Rules