Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to stop iPhoto from opening when I connect...

How to stop iPhoto from opening when I connect...
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2004, 08:02 PM

How can I stop iPhoto from opening when I connect my Canon Digital Rebel to my Mac? I want to use iView Media Pro, but iPhoto insists on launching and there is no preference in the application to stop it.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 08:24 PM

Open up the application Image Capture. In its preferences is the ability to tell the computer what to do when a camera is connected.

va3uxb
Jul 11, 2004, 01:15 AM

Thank You!!!

This has been bugging me for months.... how crazy though, that you have to go into image capture, to control something that iPhoto is doing. Very counter-intuitive, it seems to me.

-Stephanie

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2004, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by va3uxb:
Thank You!!!

This has been bugging me for months.... how crazy though, that you have to go into image capture, to control something that iPhoto is doing. Very counter-intuitive, it seems to me.

-Stephanie
FWIW, when you first start using iPhoto it actually asks you if you want to use it or another app as the default for downloading images from your camera and tells you then how to change it at a later date (IIRC). But you are right - it ought to be a visible preference in either System Preferences or in iPhoto itself...

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 06:01 AM

I was going to suggest to go into System Prefrences to "CDs & DVDs" and changing the settings there, but that just says "When you insert a picture CD: Open iPhoto". Hmm, but would changing this also stop it from launching when you plug in your camera? I'm surprised this setting isn't in iPhoto itself, but perhaps Apple should expand the "CDs & DVDs" control panel to include digital devices.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 06:53 AM

Thanks for this thread.

I've been bugged by iPhoto opening as well, but I totally forgot the little message I read a long time ago when I first used it.

This really needs to be a system preference. It's almost as silly as having to go into Safari to change the default browser.

tuqqer
Jul 14, 2004, 08:30 AM

wow. great post and great little piece of hidden info. thanks.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

Funny Bugga
Jul 15, 2004, 07:21 PM

This should certainly be an option in iPhoto prefs. No new user would ever think to open Image Capture to do this. Not in a million years.
Be nice to other people; they outnumber you 6 billion to one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules