Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Beleaguered Microsoft... hah! The tides have turned! (aka XP SP2 sucks)

Beleaguered Microsoft... hah! The tides have turned! (aka XP SP2 sucks)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 12:48 PM

eWeek has an artical about XP Service Pack 2 and how it's almost worse off than it was before. It refers to Windows as "beleaguered." Hehe. Anyway, apparently malware can interact directly with the Security Center. That means that a trojan, worm, spyware, etc. can force it to report that everything is just fine, even though you have ad windows popping up every 3 seconds or trojans running about in your email.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 12:49 PM

I heard OS X from Apple is pretty cool.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
eWeek has an artical about XP Service Pack 2 and how it's almost worse off than it was before. It refers to Windows as "beleaguered." Hehe. Anyway, apparently malware can interact directly with the Security Center. That means that a trojan, worm, spyware, etc. can force it to report that everything is just fine, even though you have ad windows popping up every 3 seconds or trojans running about in your email.
Anyone shocked ? I'm not.

Look at that sh!t, still works under SP2...
Scary like hell !

http://www.mikx.de/scrollbar/

-t

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I installed SP2 about a week ago, no problems here. Then again, I avoid all those file sharing apps, and run antivirus every night.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Anyone shocked ? I'm not.

Look at that sh!t, still works under SP2...
Scary like hell !

http://www.mikx.de/scrollbar/

-t
While I hate Microsoft, I realize that they aren't going to make an perfect OS patch AND they can't disable every "feature" because some people use them in their applications. That being said, it's rather sad when a good number of systems aren't coming back after upgrading.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
While I hate Microsoft, I realize that they aren't going to make an perfect OS patch AND they can't disable every "feature" because some people use them in their applications. That being said, it's rather sad when a good number of systems aren't coming back after upgrading.
Remember how everyone was upset about a similar OS X security issue in Spring this year ?

This M$ hole is even worse, because you don't have to click anywhere in particulr, just scroll...

It is BAD !

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 01:23 PM

Calling M$ beleagured is like saying Donald Trump is poor. It doesn't change how much money they make.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I installed SP2 about a week ago, no problems here. Then again, I avoid all those file sharing apps, and run antivirus every night.
wow. sounds like work.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 01:31 PM

I'm hesitant to install SP2 on my work machine.

Of course, I was one of the single processor 1.8 GHz G5 uses that got hosed by Apple with 10.3.5. Now my G5 won't sleep anymore. It's been several weeks, and no word from Apple on fixing this either.

Both companies apparently have their problems. Maybe I should go back to my abacus instead!

quandarry
Aug 26, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
I'm hesitant to install SP2 on my work machine.

Of course, I was one of the single processor 1.8 GHz G5 uses that got hosed by Apple with 10.3.5. Now my G5 won't sleep anymore. It's been several weeks, and no word from Apple on fixing this either.

Both companies apparently have their problems. Maybe I should go back to my abacus instead!
a rule i always follow...

(i suppose it could work for windoze too.)

NEVER BE THE FIRST ON THE BLOCK TO UPDATE!

i wait 2 wks to a month to update and let the pioneers (suckers) do it first.

and i check out all the forums and fix-it sites to see what's up.

i still haven't updated to 10.3.5 cuz every update fluxxes up my networking and stuffs.

2 hours of bullsh!t hair pulling last time.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 26, 2004, 02:03 PM

I've never had any problems with OS X updates.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Calling M$ beleagured is like saying Donald Trump is poor. It doesn't change how much money they make.
Yep, but good luck trying to convince a dyed in the wool mac user about this.

Funny, for ages Apple was the beleaguered company always on the supposed (and always false) presumption that going out of business was a sure thing. Now it's Microsoft's turn...except they have an ungodly large amount of cash.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Forum Links
Forum Rules