Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MacThemes Issue

MacThemes Issue
Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 05:47 PM

Is it just me or does MacThemes have a few issues?
1) Doesn't work on FireFox, story images don't load.
2) Search the Archives is broke. I thought i emailed that one in a LONG time ago but it still is.

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
Is it just me or does MacThemes have a few issues?
1) Doesn't work on FireFox, story images don't load.
2) Search the Archives is broke. I thought i emailed that one in a LONG time ago but it still is.

Image loading for stories has always had its issues on MacThemes with Firefox. In fact, I'm pretty sure it did the same when I tried to use Explorer in the school labs. A quick refresh normally takes care of it. But yeah, it should be fixed.

~dfiller

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 08:25 PM

Regarding the search, uh, I've been hoping people wouldn't notice it...

But yeah, it's DEFINITELY a known issue, and it's been kind of waiting for the upcoming site update to be addressed. I'm sorry about that

Firefox thing, it's always been like that, and I have no idea why it happens. I guess it's some CSS related bug, that would be a question for Jan or another CSS expert on these forums.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 08:39 PM

To settle another issue here....

I realize that MT has been relatively quiet for the last few months in terms of Insiders. This is the result of two things:

a) Our awesome site artist, Adam Betts, is currently involved in a um, other world.
b) I've been super busy with college apps, etc. etc. but also, believe it or not, some great things for MacThemes.

One thing I have been working on is, of course, the upcoming MacThemes.net Productions, which will include Somatic, Fear[Platinum]3, and Lutetium GUI on release of ShapeShifter 2.0. (Sweet Slumber coming maybe a week after.) In addition to working with these artists on their projects, I've also been implementing an awesome site design by David Lanham for a new mini site for our productions.

Oh, and also, our newest reviewer happens to live in the same town as IconFactory, so we're definitely going to be taking advantage of that in our next Insider

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there are things going on behind the scene. I'm going to talk to David and see if he'll let me show you guys a glimpse of the upcoming site.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by dfiller:
Image loading for stories has always had its issues on MacThemes with Firefox. In fact, I'm pretty sure it did the same when I tried to use Explorer in the school labs. A quick refresh normally takes care of it. But yeah, it should be fixed.

~dfiller
i was going to tell you that your sig is too big, but it looks like the sig regulations are gone... can't find em, even with search

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 09:20 PM

What happened to the good old days, with nice, compact sigs like mine

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:

a) Our awesome site artist, Adam Betts, is currently involved in a um, other world.
Hehe! Yes, Adam is with us. Muhahahaha!
MacBook Pro

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 09:40 PM

What happened to the good old days, with nice, compact sigs like mine
click one

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 10:46 PM

I noticed nobody promised Omega up there in that Shapeshifter 2.0 release. BBX becomes a bigger joke than goMac. News at 11.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I noticed nobody promised Omega up there in that Shapeshifter 2.0 release. BBX becomes a bigger joke than goMac. News at 11.
Shapeshifter 1.3 has become 2.0, so the feature set that was supposed to be in 1.5 still hasn't been implemented.

Do you attempt to be a thickheaded moron or does it come naturally?

mac15
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Shapeshifter 1.3 has become 2.0, so the feature set that was supposed to be in 1.5 still hasn't been implemented.

Hahahaha

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by justinp:

lol nice simple explanation. btw what does this have to do with MacThemes.net?
click one

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 01:23 AM

Point me to some rules please guys and I'll change it, but I didn't think it was that big or bothersome...
( Last edited by dfiller; Oct 13, 2004 at 01:32 AM. )

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 01:25 AM

To settle another issue here....

I realize that MT has been relatively quiet for the last few months in terms of Insiders. This is the result of two things:

b) I've been super busy with college apps, etc. etc. but also, believe it or not, some great things for MacThemes.

One thing I have been working on is, of course, the upcoming MacThemes.net Productions, which will include Somatic, Fear[Platinum]3, and Lutetium GUI on release of ShapeShifter 2.0. (Sweet Slumber coming maybe a week after.) In addition to working with these artists on their projects, I've also been implementing an awesome site design by David Lanham for a new mini site for our productions.

Oh, and also, our newest reviewer happens to live in the same town as IconFactory, so we're definitely going to be taking advantage of that in our next Insider

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that there are things going on behind the scene. I'm going to talk to David and see if he'll let me show you guys a glimpse of the upcoming site.

Sounds wonderful Phil, I'm ecstatic for Somatic and the other themes you mentioned. Glad to hear new content is on the way, keep up the great work.
( Last edited by dfiller; Oct 13, 2004 at 01:35 AM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 01:29 AM

It's not like it's huge and there aren't any rules posted.
There were just a few days ago... But they seem to have changed them to rules on inline images.
click one

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 10:48 AM

Good to hear the issues are at least known. Also, I didn't know Shapeshifter 1.3 has become 2.0. Wow. Any estimated ETA? I won't hold you to it. Promise.

Also dfiller's image sig looks way smaller than MacMan4000's. I consider hight to more of an issue here.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 11:53 AM

b) I've been super busy with college apps, etc. etc.
I hear ya, man.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 12:08 PM

Good to hear the issues are at least known. Also, I didn't know Shapeshifter 1.3 has become 2.0. Wow. Any estimated ETA? I won't hold you to it. Promise.
Well, a few weeks ago it was going to be in a few weeks. But then some bugs popped up, so those needed to be fixed in addition to whatever development was left. I'm guessing it will be here in a few weeks.

If I were a gambler I wold bet on "Before Christmas"

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 01:19 PM

200x50 was the last listed sig size. up from the old 140x40. i think 'hood changed it in august. there WAS a sticky but they seem to have lost it.

rules as they were the other day-

250x50
>10k filesize
static.
no ads. personal site/shareware is ok though.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 01:49 PM

Putting this back on track:

Production posters would be featured on the wall, and a click would bring you inside the theater with detailed information, links, etc. on the computer screen, stylized to how the themer would want it.
( Last edited by phillryu; Oct 14, 2004 at 08:23 AM. )

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 01:53 PM

Production posters would be featured on the wall, and a click would bring you inside the theater with detailed information, links, etc. on the computer screen, stylized to how the themer would want it.
That looks very nice. Can't wait.

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 02:12 PM

That's so awesome!!!!!!!

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 13, 2004, 02:17 PM

Will this be Flash or html?
( Last edited by swiz; Oct 13, 2004 at 07:54 PM. )

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

My guess is by the way they have this set-up and how things have been done in the past it will be .html

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 03:30 PM

Phil, that looks wonderful. Keep up the great work... I can barely contain myself for Somatic...

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 03:40 PM

The images look very nice, I'll be looking forward to it.

Point me to some rules please guys and I'll change it, but I didn't think it was that big or bothersome...
I don't know if this was removed at some point or whatever, but right next to field where you put your signature is this text:
Signature:
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
Images may be no larger than 200 pixels wide and 50 pixels tall.
Images are required to also be under 10KB, not animated, and non-offensive.
If you use an image, you may only have one line of text with it.
For text only, 4 lines of text is the maximum allowed.

dfiller
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
The images look very nice, I'll be looking forward to it.

I don't know if this was removed at some point or whatever, but right next to field where you put your signature is this text:

Synotic, thanks, I removed it for now till I resize it. I didn't see those rules to left, maybe I should increase my font size while browsing

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 05:32 PM

No offense to swiz but can people not include the image when just quoting the original post and when the image is so big? Is it really necessary to keep posting big pictures over and over again in quotes?

Maybe I should start a topic. Or am I the only one bugged by that?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 06:24 PM

On Topic: Somatic is gonna be AWESOME! Paper and plastic looks good too, but we've seen that before, as for sweet slumber... no comment.

off topic: the sig size didn't really bother me, I was just pointing it out before someone got really pissed and started YELLING ON THE INTERNET!

As for the quoted images, I agree with twister.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 13, 2004, 07:55 PM

No offense to swiz but can people not include the image when just quoting the original post and when the image is so big? Is it really necessary to keep posting big pictures over and over again in quotes?

Maybe I should start a topic. Or am I the only one bugged by that?
Your not the only one, I realized it bugged me too after I reloaded it.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mac15
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Will this be Flash or html?
It's in HTML, the site looks great.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
It's in HTML, the site looks great.
might want to make the address harder to guess untill you officially post it, I found it on the first try...

Looks great by the way

BTW, I'd make the movie theater page centered, like the brick wall page is.

mac15
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
might want to make the address harder to guess untill you officially post it, I found it on the first try...

Looks great by the way

BTW, I'd make the movie theater page centered, like the brick wall page is.
Well do keep it to yourself

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
Well do keep it to yourself
heh heh, yeah, I figured it was a secret, thats why theirs no link.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 08:50 PM

Yes, it will be HTML. That's for a few reasons. First, Flash isn't that great imo for content that will change. Second, believe it or not, some computers don't have it installed... especially in schools and such. HTML is guaranteed to work.

Paper & Plastic will be on that site, but the three featured themes on launch will be Somatic, LutetiumGUI, and Fear[platinum]3.

And yes, the link is uh... easy to find, but nothing there yet I'll probably be working on actual content on another, more secret link

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 11:01 PM

Took me two tries. But everything looks fantastic. Those themes you're talking about having all look wonderful! I love themes. I just wish more apps were like iCal. Easy to theme as there is one metal button and then the button icons just lie on top. Found that out today.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 11:27 PM

Took me two tries. But everything looks fantastic. Those themes you're talking about having all look wonderful! I love themes. I just wish more apps were like iCal. Easy to theme as there is one metal button and then the button icons just lie on top. Found that out today.
lol Hints everywhere. Everything does look great.

phillryu I agree, I don't like Flash a lot myself... I'm taking a class on Flash this semester, and I'm not a big fan of the application on top of that. Go html!
click one

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 12:11 AM

Somatic

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 10:47 AM

Hey Phill. You guys might wanna check this out. I tried to validate the CSS and got an error

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...ews/000453.php

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 01:26 PM

Did you guys at MacThemes do something new? The latest story about Neos and Siro works in Firefox! Keep it up, or figure out what you did different.

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 05:05 PM

hmm Twister you don't run the adblock extension do you? as I found when running adblock there seems to be a known bug with it and certain sites. Blocking out the images and text that is.
And for some reason aswell browsing Macthemes archives ends up crashing firefox.

Twister  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 05:15 PM

Why yes yes I do run adblock. Maybe I'll play with that and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: I disabled Adblock and got the same results. And doesn't adblock turn red when it's doing something?
( Last edited by Twister; Nov 12, 2004 at 05:24 PM. )

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:01 PM

I *think I may be able to fix the archives. It's just a time problem here, with colleges and stuff :'( Unfortunately, fixing the site and bug hunting takes a pretty big chunk of time, which I'm having difficulty finding.

But anyway, first things first. I'll get Jan on the search problems and get that fixed up. And by the way, if anyone finds other bugs, keep on reporting them here, it'll be nice to get at least a list of known issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules