Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How fast is 'faster'?

How fast is 'faster'?
Dark Rob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 02:06 PM

Many people are saying Tiger (compared to Panther) is faster, and others are saying individual things are slower.

I just bought Tiger through apple's edu program. Being a veteran of the Jaguar upgrade and the Pather upgrade, I am going to attempt a clean intall (not install over the old stuff) Tiger on my PB 15" 1.5ghz superdrive.

I am just wondering, with a clean install, will I notice a performance increase, or will it be the same old 10.1>10.2>10.3 'faster' but not really?

Thanks, and sorry if my question is vague. I am just wondering if Tiger will be worth it speed-wise. Peace.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2005, 02:20 PM

For me it's hard to see whether or not it's faster. I had upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3, and have loaded the system up with a bunch of garbage that undoubtedly slowed it down over the months.

I did a clean install of 10.4 and wow, my system is darn fast. I can only attribute this to having a clean system free of buildup.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2005, 02:37 PM

The only thing I notice is that moving and resizing of finder windows is noticeably faster. As for app speed, seem either the same or sometimes slower.

It seems that if I have multiple safari windows open and i hit CMD-Q, my system beachballs for a few seconds. This is on a clean install.
MBP 1.83

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 02:40 PM

Another vote for clean install. I haven't really noticed much of a speed bump though. I tried an upgrade install and I had one huge problem: the computer wouldn't restart. Ever. All programs would quit, my desktop picture would disappear, and the blue screen with the circular-dashes-clock-looking-thing would spin and spin and spin. The computer would never restart. Trashed Finder prefs, booted from Tiger disk and repaired disk and permissions, zapped PRAM. No help. Before anybody gets on the why restart bandwagon - it does have to happen when you apply a security update, install Intellimouse drivers, and install printer software.

Backed up everything, deleted the RAID, rebuilt it, and chose format and install. So far, runs great. I have restarted several times for testing purposes (to see if it was anyone program) and all is good.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 02:48 PM

Things are faster. I did a clean install also. My advice is to make sure that the programs and drivers you are rebuilding your system with all have updates and are Tiger ready. If not you should wait for an official update. Otherwise it could mess up the system,
( Last edited by Tyre MacAdmin; May 30, 2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: grammar)

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg
Another vote for clean install. I haven't really noticed much of a speed bump though. I tried an upgrade install and I had one huge problem: the computer wouldn't restart. Ever. All programs would quit, my desktop picture would disappear, and the blue screen with the circular-dashes-clock-looking-thing would spin and spin and spin. The computer would never restart. Trashed Finder prefs, booted from Tiger disk and repaired disk and permissions, zapped PRAM. No help. Before anybody gets on the why restart bandwagon - it does have to happen when you apply a security update, install Intellimouse drivers, and install printer software.

Backed up everything, deleted the RAID, rebuilt it, and chose format and install. So far, runs great. I have restarted several times for testing purposes (to see if it was anyone program) and all is good.
Well, scratch that. Just tried restarting, no go. I've now discovered that Image Capture no longer recognizes my Canon S30. I can't figure out how to try and see if iPhoto recognizes it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 03:41 AM

Things are exactly the same or slower for me. Erase and installl on PowerBook Ti867 with 7200rpm HD and 1GB RAM. iTunes beachballs more than in Panther (I do have around 13000 songs in that library..) and Adobe CS2 is slower than CS1, but that has probably nothing to do with Tiger. I upgraded to CS2 at the same time as Tiger.

My problem number one with Tiger is the spotty compatibiity with my film scanner. Which is a big problem for me. All in all Tiger wasn't worth it's money...yet. That could change with a Q2D Extreme compatible computer and when more Tiger-optimised software is available. But for the rest: dashboard, I could care less. Automator, I don't understand how it works. Spotlight, it looked cool but it isn't as good. That's what you get with Keynotes that simulate perfect circumstances (the instant searches).

Ah well, I hope to buy a top of the line G5 at the end of the year so I can fully enjoy Tiger.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules