Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes shortens track titles

iTunes shortens track titles
DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2006, 02:06 PM

Hey all,

I've been having this problem for about as long as I've been using iTunes. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any method to its madness; some times it does it, some times it doesn't.

When I add an MP3 into my Library, iTunes will sometimes shorten the track title. For example, if I have a track called "This is a really great song to listen to", it will change it to "This is a really grea".

It's driving me nuts trying to figure out what's wrong. Again, some times it shortens the tag, sometimes it doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 02:16 PM

Maybe it's the ID3-tag version of the mp3 that is causing that? My iTunes doesn't do this. Try converting the ID3-tags to a newer version.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 02:45 PM

As TETENAL said, it's probably a tag issue. I would guess that the MP3s you are importing into iTunes originally had ID3v1 tags, which have a character limit. If converting the tags in iTunes (try converting to v2.3) doesn't work, then I think you'll have to continue dealing with this manually.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 04:05 PM

I've never had this problem, but I would certainly look into the tag version. Where are the songs coming from? I assume you're not buying or ripping them in iTunes.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 07:19 PM

It's definitely the ID3 tag version. Just convert them all to 2.3 or 2.4 and re-type the long names if needed.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules