Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Fastest way to transfer large file?

Fastest way to transfer large file?
flabasha
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2006, 07:11 PM

Pardon if this is an insufferably noob-ish question, but I've searched, and it's hard to find a straight answer, so here goes... My friend in San Diego has a 4 gigabyte file he wants to send to my computer. What is the consensus on the fastest, most reliable (couldn't care less about security) way to get it to me?

Is it by using an FTP client? Making a torrent in Azureus and sending that to me? Just a simple finder network connection?

It's almost so dumb a question that it's hard to find an easy answer. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. We're both on Mac systems, running Tiger.

Jeff Lebowski
Aug 3, 2006, 07:24 PM

I would either do a .zip or .rar transfer via FTP or iChat, or if you're around San Diego bring an external drive and just copy it there.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 07:25 PM

Zip the file, drop it into his Sites folder and open up ports for websharing (TCP 80) on his router/firewall.

Check with http://www.ipchicken.com what his external IP address is and download the file directly at:

http://his.public.ip.address/~hisname/filename.zip

Save to your computer.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 07:26 PM

Depending on his Internet connection's upload bandwidth, it might be faster to simply burn the file on to a DVD and mail it. That's a real possibility, so investigate it.

flabasha  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks for the tips. I tried legacy's solution, for some reason it didn't work for me (probably operator error). I was able to make a torrent in Azureus however, and it's transferring pretty quickly.

If anyone's interested, here's the directions I used.
http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/01/04/...-with-azureus/

Thanks again!

MacBook91
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 01:29 PM

if that didnt work then you could remote into your other comp. and transfer it over, a lrg. cruzer (flash drive) or an external HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules