Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > "Cloning" an iPod

"Cloning" an iPod
CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 01:40 PM

Hi,

My sister has an iPod which is giving up the ghost (battery is pretty much done -- I got it as a birthday present for her and I'm gonna take it back in for warranty). I put the songs, etc. on there for her but I can't 100% reconstruct what's on there (let's just say it's time consuming and would require her input)... does anyone know the best/easiest way to copy all the data off there and on to a new one -- effectivly completely replicating the state?

I have a PC with MacDrive 5 which can see everything (including hidden files) -- if I create a folder a copy everything over to the PC (hidden files, databases, etc) and then back to the new iPod will it be identical and actually work? Or is there free software on the Mac which would enable this too?

Thanks!

Lyra
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 08:06 PM

Hi

I just bought a 10 GB iPod, but then I got a better deal where I could buy a 20 GB for 350 bucks, so I went for that one... The 10 GB version was perfect for my Girlfriend though I had some 400+ songs on it and I had made it real nice and all, I didn't want to do that whole thing over again...

So I wondered how to be able to rip the iPod... The I came across a neat software that does just that!!!! It kinda also does something else, like ripping music from "any" iPod which is kinda cool...

Anyway here is the link and hope you can use it... It is for the Mac so I hope it is not a problem...

Here it is and it is called iPodManager :

http://podmanager.brunoblondeau.com/

Good luck and take care...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Forum Links
Forum Rules