Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 Rev A powerbook and new 20 Cinema Monitor?

12 Rev A powerbook and new 20 Cinema Monitor?
spiderbyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:57 AM

I have a 12 inch Rev A Powerbook and would like to get a 20 inch Apple Cinema monitor. Since there is not a DVI port on this powerbook;

1) What do I have to do to connect the Cinema monitor to my powerbook?

2) If the monitor can be used with a Rev A PB, is there a performance penalty because of the lack of a DVI port, and the alternate method of connecting?

Thanks...

//// \\\\ spiderbyte

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2004, 08:19 AM

As I recall, the video out on your Rev A PB is only a mini-VGA out. Unfortunately, all that I see on Apple's website is an adapter to take that connection and either output it to standard VGA or S-Video (two different adapters). Unfortunately, once you get it to regular VGA, I don't see a way to get it to DVI, at least not with anything that Apple is selling. In other words, you could hook it up to a standard VGA monitor, but NOT an Apple Cinema Display. Not to mention that I don't know whether that PB was capable of just mirroring or dual display. Either way...if you're looking to hook it up to another monitor you're going to want more video memory. From what I've heard, when you hook up dual display it splits the video memory between both screens which would only give you 16mb for each screen. My recommendation would be to try a regular VGA monitor if you can just try out a friends real quick to see what it'll look like. Otherwise it's time to upgrade the PB and get one with the mini-DVI out and at least 64mb of video memory.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 01:02 PM

I haven't actually tried this myself and it is a little expensive, but there is a VGA to ADC adapter. It costs $300 from Gefen, although you can get it from other places. I'd contact them and ask them about the adapter, it if would work in your situation and what their return policy is. If you aren't in possession of the 20" Cinema Display yet and are satisfied with Gefen's return policy, I'd suggest purchasing the adapter and then taking your PBG4 to your local Apple store with the adapter to try it out using one of their 20" Cinema Displays and see if the quality is acceptable. Here is the link for the Gefen VGA to ADC converter:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

If you google "vga to adc" You'll also come up with some other hits, although Gefen was the first one to come out with this product.

Good luck! I was seriously thinking of going this route while trying to decide between the 12 and 15" PBs, but ended up getting the 15". You could also ask Gefen if there are any resellers that would have the VGA to ADC unit on display that you could try out. I think J&R in NYC sells them as I was hoping to see one when I was there last summer for CreativePro, but couldn't stop by.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 02:46 AM

Sorry, I didn't read your post well the first time. If you are interested in getting one of the new 20" DVI cinema displays for your Rev. A, try this, although it is probably too early to have any real world experience. Once again I'd suggest inquiring about their return policy:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 09:16 AM

It will not be a satisfactory experience driving the new 20" with a VGA port. Either get a monitor that accepts VGA input (Dell 2001FP, 20", costs around $800 comes to mind), or wait until you have a Pbook with DVI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules